1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Japan proxy

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TRINI, Sep 3, 2013.

1. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Who's the forum-approved provider these days?

I've used Sharp Service in the past but haven't heard back from them on my most recent enquiry and have also read some reviews of recent shitty service.

Should note that it's not for an auction but for a simple store purchase.

Cheers.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  2. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

FromJapan is seamless.

3. Jokez

Jokez Member

SutoCorp's also really good.

4. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

Any opinions on the best choice out of sutocorp, fromjapan or sharp service please?

5. Peter1

Peter1 Senior member

Anyone used zenmarket.jp?

Their search box is linked to Yahoo Japan, Rakuten and Amazon among others. Looks like an easy interface -- you just paste the link with the item you want into a notes box.

As usual the questions are shipping and customs -- if you bundle shipping then you risk high customs fees...or if you don' then the shipping costs as much as the item...

Anyway...anyone given it a try?

6. 1989thenumber

1989thenumber Senior member

I use personalshopperj.com. Fast and reliable.

7. Zhong5

Zhong5 New Member

zenmarket has the coolest support. Try asking them a question.
    I ordered G-shock before from them. Shipping you can check on their web-site.
    For G-shock it was ¥1,240.

8. Mesta

Mesta Senior member

Would there by any interests in a fashion only proxy service? I might go to japan for a while and that could be a cool side project for me :)
    Would also be a blog about subcultures in tokyo, with portraits and articles and shit.

9. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

I'm not sure I would trust a proxy service that isn't permanently situated in Japan. In addition, there are a glut of good shopping services available right now, so unless you have something cool to bring to the table ...

Sorry if this is discouraging.

10. Mesta

Mesta Senior member

I'd stay there 6 months to 2 years. (all depends on $$, but my visas would be good for two years max).

Agreed, but consumer-wise, the experience in terms of shopping fashion is kinda lacking.

My thing would have been to mix a bit of editorial content about japan fashion (doing portraits of the different subcultures there) and a proxy service only for japanese fashion.

No problem, any comments are appreciated ;)

11. whyzed

whyzed New Member

I'm in Japan right now and happy to proxy for people.

I live in Tokyo and this would be a side project. I speak fluent Japanese, so I can buy stuff that might require a bit of navigating/back and forth with stores.

I can also go to stores if the stuff you want can't be bought online. I'm a single person, not one of the larger proxy services but you can expect more tailored service from me (I can take pics and send them to you and repackage stuff as you want it).

Let me know if you're interested.

12. Exalt

Exalt Senior member

Just used whyzed for a proxy from Japan for an expensive item - excellent experience with complete transparency. Would definitely recommend whyzed and will use the service in the future.

13. olvier

olvier Member

FromJapan is good and easy to use but pretty expensive and they will not undervalue your items. Shipping is also pretty expensive, 3000-4000 yen for a shirt or jumper depending on the weight (I am in New Zealand). The global Rakuten website is pretty good if you don't want to use a proxy, but in my experience they assess the shipping costs once you place your order and charge your credit card without confirming. Sutocorp looks pretty good but haven't used it yet. Sharp is long dead.

14. Lorcan7

Lorcan7 Senior member

Not true. You can adjust the value that appears on the customs declaration.

I've been using FJ but may give zenmarket a go.

15. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

How the hell is FJ expensive? ¥200 flat fee per item is the lowest I've ever seen. FJ can't be criticized for shipping costs, because that's what shipping costs.

I do like ZenMarket more than FJ, though.

1 person likes this.
  16. olvier

olvier Member

Well, the thing is, if you are ordering from a store on Yahoo Auctions it's a good idea to check if that store has a Rakuten page where you can have the item shipped directly to you instead of through a proxy. The difference can be about 2000 yen. I know this can't be done with private YA sellers. Didn't know FJ had that option regarding value declaration, could have saved me $200 [​IMG]

17. Omega Man

Omega Man Senior member

Just re reading this thread.

I have not tried other proxy service, but I have been using SuToCorp for a number of years and have not had any issues (knock on wood). They have been prompt and courteous in responding to my inquiries and updating me with my order status.
    They also have occasional promotions giving you a break on service fee ;)

18. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

I'm also looking after a proxy service, but specifically I need something that will do in store purchases (in Tokyo). This puts sutoCorp and fromJapan out.

19. olvier

olvier Member

From Japan is having a major design overhaul sometime today (Tuesday the 13th). Includes support for mobiles and possibly an app.

20. ambyance

ambyance Senior member

I guess this is the official japan proxy thread?

a little rant about Fromjapan...

I bought an item through them but the merchant apparently didn't have the item in stock and took 2 months for me to get the refund. Now, it's not entirely fair to blame FJ for this incident but it didn't seem they made much effort to rectify the situation since I always had to email first to get a response.

FJ also said they don't have any protection if the merchant refuses to refund them and that I am fucked if they never get the refund. It makes me wonder what kind of payment service they are using since I assume it's a company credit card which should have some sort of protection (I sincerely hope, someone correct me otherwise). Apparently it is in their t&c that I am SOL if they don't get the refund.

In addition, they didn't provide any kind of compensation for this issue... I was about to file a chargeback at 2 months but they magically got the refund somehow at that point. Strange. It'd be nice to get at least some store credit or points but none of that. It is what it is....

Fastforward a month or two, ordered 3 items from them. Accidentally didn't instruct combined shipping and the first arrived item was about to ship since I instructed it to. Had to pay 2000 yen repackaging fee (it's 1000 yen at zenmarket) as well as late/storage fees (100 yen per day). So I ended up paying 900 yen since I had to wait for the other 2 packages to arrive.

Now, that was partly my fault, but do note that zenmarket lets you store your item(s) for up to 45 days w/o fees (http://zenmarket.jp/fees.aspx). After that, it's 50 yen/day.

Ok so I paid all the fees and got it shipped finally.... It's been 5-6 days now and it is stuck in customs for some reason. My friend got his item in 2 days after being shipped (sutocorp). Same shipping service: EMS.

Overall, it's been quite a frustrating experience with FJ lately since I haven't had a problem with them before (used their service more than 5x. Their responses which take 1 day usually are almost always the same... just some vague message about they're working on it and such. Not personal at all.

It ended up sounding like a big zenmarket ad, but I am not affiliated with any proxies unfortunately. Heard quite a few good things about them so I just compared their prices to FJ. Not entirely sure how the other proxies (white rabbit express, buyee, macatunes, treasure japan, etc) are since I've never used them so please comment if you have any experience with them.

For the time being, I'm done with FJ.

ps- please feel free to correct me on anything I have mentioned

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015