• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jantzen v MyTailor.com; 1st shirts

pkincy

Reaction score
My first Jantzen came in (sorry no pixs as it is still unironed). And my first MyTailor.com shirt had come in a couple of weeks ago.

Initial impressions however give the nod to MyTailor.com. By a fairly wide margin.

The fabric is much nicer. On the Jantzen I picked the white fabric everyone seems to like (#22 superfine twill). And on the MyTailor shirt I picked a mid to low price cotton fabric also in all white. Much much silkier in the MyTailor shirt. The fit in the MyTailor shirt is better than excellent. The fit in the Jantzen shirt is a bit odd. The back and shoulders don't seem to lay as nicely. The regular fit in both gives plenty of room (without excess) in the MyTailor and in the Jantzen seems at this point (prewashing) to be a bit tight.

This is with the exact same measurements sent to each.

I will repost to this thread if it seems at all active in a week or so after I have had a chance to iron, wear, launder and rewear the Jantzen. On the MyTailor I have ironed, worn (twice actually), laundered and am awaiting the next wearing. But at 2 to 3 times the price I initially believe that the MyTailor shirt is the better value.

Of course if you need mtm and price is a major or even the only issue than Jantzen must get the nod.

Perry

5thave

Reaction score
Please do give a review in a week after wearing the Jantzen. I'm very suprised that no one has had a "Jantzen v. Mytailor" post before. I'm, along with a lot of other people I'm sure, are very curious about the comparison. Please keep us update!!!

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pkincy,

I'm curious, did you give Jantzen measurements based on a shirt you already owned, or were they body measurements?

I'm looking to do my first order with Jantzen, but I plan to give measurements based on a Duncan Quinn shirt that fits me perfectly.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i understand that the proprietors of both jantzen and mytailor are familiar with this forum as well as the aaac forum. would it make a difference if you mention to them, before you have a shirt made, that you are an active member of these fora? i suppose there would be a more conscious effort for them not to dissappoint a member here.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
i understand that the proprietors of both jantzen and mytailor are familiar with this forum as well as the aaac forum. would it make a difference if you mention to them, before you have a shirt made, that you are an active member of these fora? i suppose there would be a more conscious effort for them not to dissappoint a member here.

That seems sort of tacky to me! A reputable tailoring firm ought to strive to give maximum customer satisfaction whether or not said customer is likely to post his dissatisfaction on an internet forum.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
well, it was just a question. i have not had the pleasure of doing business with both tailors, but those that i have made in the past in hongkong and singapore, i have noticed that the works are "farmed out".

pkincy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Pkincy,

I'm curious, did you give Jantzen measurements based on a shirt you already owned, or were they body measurements?

I measured my body as instructed. And in fact the instructions were very similar and I submitted the same measurements to each within a 1/4 inch.

I did check measure a shirt that fit well but ultimately decided that measurements from my body made with a seamstress tape was the best way.

I will wear the Jantzen tomorrow. It is now ironed and I promise to keep you posted.

Perry

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy

The fabric is much nicer. On the Jantzen I picked the white fabric everyone seems to like (#22 superfine twill). And on the MyTailor shirt I picked a mid to low price cotton fabric also in all white. Much much silkier in the MyTailor shirt. The fit in the MyTailor shirt is better than excellent. The fit in the Jantzen shirt is a bit odd.
Perry

1. Don't compare fabric. That's a variable that can fluctuate within any makers book.

2. If you were happy with the fit of the My Tailor shirt, why try to reinvent the wheel by sending just your measurements to Jantzen when you could have sent the MT shirt for Jantzen to copy?

The most difficult aspect of MTM/Custom shirts is to arrive at a properly fitted shirt. It can be difficult(Jantzen) or easy(Kabbaz), but once you have a shirt that you're happy with you can use it as a template for any shirt maker to copy.

Comparing Jantzen vs. My Tailor, on the basis of an internet order, is of little substantive value. The method is problematic at it's core.

I would suggest having just ONE perfect shirt made locally for as much as $500, and then sending that shirt to be copied to Jantzen or wherever you chose.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
teddieriley: For my first Jantzen I sent a shirt and gave him a combination of body measurements and measurements to use from the other shirt. He is perfectly willing to accomodate anything you need done.

Perry: A huge majority of Jantzen's business comes from in-store customers. I'm sure Ricky is much more concerned about making every shirt to the best quality he can than he is catering to a small niche of his large business.

Tom

Lino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
I would suggest having just ONE perfect shirt made locally for as much as $500, and then sending that shirt to be copied to Jantzen or wherever you chose.

The question is, do you send them a washed or unwashed shirt to make a pattern from?

mylesmyles

Reaction score
i have ordered from both mytailor and Jantzen and there are benefits to both. for mytailer the big upside is that they travel to the states and take many meansurements (far more than janzten requests) and the shirts that i got fit almost perfect (sleeves could have been a touch longer). the downside is that the cost is noticebly higher and i prefer the fabric selection at Jantzen.

as for jantzen the upsdie is obviously the cost - and if you get lucky the turnaround time. that being said i am on my third order with them and am still trying to get my shirts Just Right. but i guess at the reduced cost and the fact that they are still very wearable has me going back.

in the end it comes down to what is most important to you - if you are willing to deal with the tweaking in measurements and the spotty customer service - you benefit on price with Jantzen. if you want to have a tailor measure you and have the reasssureance that that information will get passed along - go with mytailor.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lino
The question is, do you send them a washed or unwashed shirt to make a pattern from?

some fabrics are preshrunk.. and to different degrees. i think its best to send a shirt that fits after being washed and worn a few times... that way the tailor knows exactly how you want your shirt to fit... he should know how his fabrics will shrink over time and cut accordingly.

5thave

Reaction score
How the hell is the method "problematic at its core?" Based on measurements sent through the internet you can determine which shirtmaker creates a better fit for YOU. This may not be true for every body type but it certainly holds value for the one individual customer (in this case, Perry). I am very eager to hear his analysis and hopefully see some pictures.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yanks2182
Anyone else have experience with Mytalior?

I have about 20-25 shirts from them and a suit. The suit pants are good.. I just brought in a pair of pants that I wanted copied and they did that just fine. The jacket is just from a first fitting, so to speak, and I have an appt with them on the tour this Thursday to have them tweak it.

I think they do a good job, but I have no experience with Jantzen other than I submit an order there a year ago and never heard anything or received the shirt. I also have 5 shirts from WW Chan and I think MyTailor is pretty comparable to that shop.

Also, throughout my orders, I've received 2 unsolicited free shirts, many follow up phone calls and emails, and overall really great customer service.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads