1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Jantzen turnaround time.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MilanoStyle, Oct 1, 2006.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Since I knew going into it that this was the case, I have no expectations. I'm sacrificing quick, predictible service to get lower price, better quality, and better selection of fabrics than I've found elsewhere.
    That's exactly the right attitude to have . . . if that trade-off is acceptable to you, Jantzen's an invaluable resource.
    [​IMG]

2. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

I accept what you say, but I think is presumes I´ll eventually receive a fabric (shirt). Yet, if my shirt was lost in the mail and there is no follow up by Ricky, I won´t receive any shirt at all (yet I´m out about 45 bucks).

3. mrchapel

mrchapel Senior member

I accept what you say, but I think is presumes I´ll eventually receive a fabric (shirt). Yet, if my shirt was lost in the mail and there is no follow up by Ricky, I won´t receive any shirt at all (yet I´m out about 45 bucks).

Two words: CALL RICKY. When in doubt with Jantzen, call Ricky. I expect you'll see your shirt soon if you do that.

4. alflauren

alflauren Senior member

Just to add, I ordered on Oct. 2 (first time). I haven't been charged yet. I received my confirmation email from Ricky on Monday, with an order number and an apology for taking three weeks to confirm. So far, so good I think.

5. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

OK, will do, call him ... again. The point is that I´ve already called him, and still haven´t seen a shirt soon, or heard anything despite his promise otherwise.

6. knittieguy

knittieguy Senior member

I think a more likely scenario is that the item is lost somewhere in the mail as opposed to Ricky ripping you off. Indeed, I've seen more posts from people that have received shirts that Ricky didn't charge for.

You can put me in that category. I got a shirt from him in August, just a couple of weeks after I mailed in an order. He still hasn't charged my credit card.

Strange way to do business, and I'd actually prefer more reliable service than the occasional windfall, but that's just the Jantzen way.

7. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

We should all be happy that he even does the mail order.

If you have ever been to the shop, especially in holiday seasons, he has people lined up waiting to select fabrics, get measured, etc. His B&M is at capacity, and its lucky that he even continues with the mail order.

That said, I now just place larger orders when in HK. 2 day turnaround, and Ricky available to make adjustments

K

8. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

yeah. maybe some people imagine jantzen to be a large tailoring establishment in the glitziest part of hongkong, with probably bolts of cloth lined up neatly on some large dark wooden display rack, and plush carpeting and leather armchairs where you can sit and wait while somebody gets you a cup of oolong tea.

9. Rolo

Rolo Senior member

My recent experience.

I placed an order on 22 September.

On 14 October I received a confirmation email from Ricky apologizing for the delay and saying that my shirt would go out ASAP. Ricky also charged my card on the 14th.

My guess is that the shirt was done on the 14th and mailed soon thereafter because it was on my desk this morning. It must have arrived last week while I was in California. Now I've got to run home and see how it fits.

I get the distinct feeling that when you get a "confirmation" email from Ricky, your shirt is going to be made that day unless the email contains questions rather than being a true confirmation.

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

My recent experience.

On 14 October I received a confirmation email from Ricky apologizing for the delay and saying that my shirt would go out ASAP. Ricky also charged my card on the 14th.

My guess is that the shirt was done on the 14th and mailed soon thereafter because it was on my desk this morning. It must have arrived last week while I was in California. Now I've got to run home and see how it fits.

I get the distinct feeling that when you get a "confirmation" email from Ricky, your shirt is going to be made that day unless the email contains questions rather than being a true confirmation.

That's generally consistent with my experiences.

11. Fabro

Fabro Senior member

My recent experience.

I got an October 14th confirmation as well, and was charged then too. Haven't seen it yet, but maybe it's waiting for me at home. Hmm, maybe I will leave early today.

12. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

yeah. maybe some people imagine jantzen to be a large tailoring establishment in the glitziest part of hongkong, with probably bolts of cloth lined up neatly on some large dark wooden display rack, and plush carpeting and leather armchairs where you can sit and wait while somebody gets you a cup of oolong tea.

HAHA!! Just trying to imagine that and reconcile it with the tiny overcrowded shop that is barely big enough for Ricky and David. Nevermind the customers that come in.

When I went to pick up my last order, there were 2 guys who had just grabbed tons of swatches and a pair of scissors and sat down on the floor outside. Come to think of it, bring a few beers along with you, and its a decent way to spend an hour or two

K

13. denning

denning Senior member

I ordered on the 16th and got a confirmation on the 28th. Shirts are being shipped in a week. That's a little over 2 weeks turnaround. Ricky's got his business back on track.

14. CommercialDoc

CommercialDoc Senior member

Placed my order on the 19th. Got my confirmation on the 27th.

15. mbc

mbc Senior member

Received my order yesterday after reconciling an out-of-stock fabric on Oct 1st.

16. raley

raley Senior member

Got a recent confirmation as well after a week or two, can't wait to get my third shirt. Hopefully it will be perfect.

I predict a lot of "critique my Jantzen" threads in the near future.

17. Kevin

Kevin Senior member

Still waiting on an order placed Sept. 14th.

18. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

Still waiting on order placed on August 2nd. Called Ricky 3 weeks ago. Credit card charged on Aug 7th. [​IMG]

19. Newton

Newton Senior member

That's pretty bad service. This guy is lucky to have (online) customers in my opinion.

20. Rolo

Rolo Senior member

Still waiting on order placed on August 2nd. Called Ricky 3 weeks ago. Credit card charged on Aug 7th. [​IMG]

I still think that the post may be a bigger problem than Ricky. Recently, I've had three packages returned to senders (one overseas) due to an "unknown address" despite the fact that hundreds of pieces of mail make it to the same address each day.

Anyway, I pulled the trigger on a bunch of shirts last night.

The story so far . . .

Order No. 1 -- Took about three weeks after getting confirmation from Jantzen to arrive. Shirt was very nice quality but unwearable due to the bonehead that took the measurments (moi).

Order No. 2 -- Order placed on 22 September. Confirmation on 14 October. Arrived 23-27 October (I was out of town and don't know what day it actually arrived). I really like the fabric on this shirt. It is a blue & white dogbone dobby. The weight is substantial and it has a sheen which some may not like (but I do). I received a number of positive comments on it the first day I wore the shirt.

[​IMG]

Most importantly, shirt number 2 fit the way I like it. The tailor that does my MTM suits & pants said he wouldn't make changes.

Order No. 3 -- I ordered 9 shirts last night (6 November). 6 for casual wear, 2 dress shirts and 1 that can cross over. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

The casual shirts all have hidden buttondown collards and double button cuffs:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The dress shirts both have french cuffs. The blue one has a semi-spread collar and the white one has a shark fin collar and a fly front:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The crossover shirt has a semi-spread collar and double button cuffs:

[​IMG]

Rolo