• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jantzen shirt ripped!!

Tom

Reaction score
I have sad news. One of my three Jantzen shirts has ripped.
The fabric is is Dobby #47 (white box diamond).
The tear is at the seam of the sleeve and the french cuff. I have worn this shirt four times and had it laundered twice. The seam came apart today. There does not appear to be enough fabric to make a repair.
Any suggestions? Probably too expensive to ship it back eh?

-Tom

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If its at the seam, why can't it just be resewn? Seams come undone occassionally, though I'm sure Ricky would be perturbed that it came undone after only a few wearings (that is surely a defective seam). If it is just the seam, and not the fabric, a tailor should be able to resew it for a few dollars. Post pics of this.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If I get what you mean, the shirt can't be fixed without making the cuff shorter. I don't think it would be worth sending it back as shipping to HK is probably a lot. I'd have a tailor make it into a short sleeve shirt, or donate it to an art class as a very nice smock.

Tom

Reaction score
The sleeve pulled out of the cuff. (my digital camera needs a new battery sorry). So there is about 1/16" of fabric, which is frayed, and that could be sewn back into the cuff, but it would just fray apart.
For the price, I'll just make it into rags and start again I suppose. But I'll check w my tailor first to see if he can fix it.

Tom

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember a pick of your first Jantzen shirt, and I'd imagine if you sleeves are the same length on this one, you would have 1/2" or so at least to spare. Could the tailor just cut off the frayed part and then sew from there?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom, I'm also wondering: Did you ever use bleach on this shirt? I remember overbleaching one of my dress shirts and the fabric literally ripped apart. I just think that it sounds like the fabric was defective or became defective in some way, as opposed to the stitching -- I'm never heard of a sleeve simply "pulling" itself out of the cuff, to the extent where the ends were frayed.

Urbane

Reaction score
Why not just put it in an envelope and post it back. Regardless of where you are I should not have thought that the cost of postage would outweigh the benefits of a repaired (or replacement) shirt.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Urbane. Just send it back. If that's too much trouble, then perhaps take some digital pix and email them to Jantzen. In either case, give the details of the shirt and, nicely, ask for a replacement shirt (or a new sleeve?).

Tom

Reaction score
I decided to see if I could hand sew it myself, figuring it was no big loss if I couldn't. I tried to carefully insert the sleeve end between the cuff layers, but basically ended up fastening it together on the inside of hte sleeve. I looks totally fins from the outside, and like I did it myself on the inside. =)
Good enough.
I beleive that the specific pattern of this fabric is risky for use in shirts. The way it is woven makes it easy to come apart in about 1/4" increments.

-Tom

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads