• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jantzen shirt cutaway collars

shirtcrazed

Reaction score
I'm looking at making an order for a handful of Jantzen shoirts with cutaway collars, and wanted to get a better idea of the look of the collar - it's difficult to tell from the website.  

Can anyone who has ordered these let me know which other shirt manufacturer's cutaway collars are most similar to JAntzen's?

rayk

Reaction score
A quick look at the Jantzen site produced no collar style actually described as "cut away"...unless I missed it.  Among those displayed on the website (#4, 15, 16, 16A, 27, 28, A3, or P-15) which spread style(s) are you considering?

gregory

Reaction score
Related to shirtcrazed's request, I would appreciate comments on the collars of these shirts: Dunhill shirt #1
1_summer_defo.jpg
Dunhill shirt #2
4_summer_defo.jpg
I selected a 'wide collar' for my Jantzen shirt. Do you feel it will turn out similar to the first shirt above? I ordered a Jantzen shirt with 'wide spread' collar as below:
collar15.jpg
Other options I'm eyeing: Italian full-spread with stitching
collar28q.jpg
Full spread
collar27q.jpg
Big spread
collar16q.jpg
British spread
DSCF0156collarp15.jpg

rayk

Reaction score
I have only recently begun to order Jantzen shirts, but have received a couple.  The only collar sytle that I've selected and have received is the P-15 (English Spread Collar), one of which is hanging across the room from me.  The spread of this collar is much more pronounced on the actual shirt than in the photo on the website, and more resembles the collar of the Dunhill #2 of your post.

Be mindful, then, that the collar shapes when attached to the shirts may to some degree vary from the example collars in the website photos.

Overall, I've been pleased with Jantzen shirts.

Tom

Reaction score
I ordered my first Jantzen shirt two months back, I got an e-mail from Ricky on January 31st saying they'll ship it asap, but still no sign of it. I ordered it with a "wide spread" collar. Hope it gets here soon. =)

Tom

rayk

Reaction score
I ordered my first Jantzen shirt two months back, I got an e-mail from Ricky on January 31st saying they'll ship it asap, but still no sign of it. Â I ordered it with a "wide spread" collar. Â Hope it gets here soon. =) Tom
While your shirt size could significantly change while you waited for delivery
smile.gif
I haven't heard of anyone who didn't eventually receive his order. Â Ricky might never be considered quick, but at about $43 per ****, S&H included, we must forgive him this fault. I have another single shirt ordered, to which I've made one or two minor fit adjustments. Â Should this "test" shirt fit, as I anticipate, I will begin to order from Jantzen by the dozen. Â Much easier this way.

gregory

Reaction score
Turnbull & Asser, I heard, takes four-six months?. Anyway, I hope to be able to employ a full-time tailor one day.
smile.gif

rayk

Reaction score
Turnbull & Asser, I heard, takes four-six months?. Anyway, I hope to be able to employ a full-time tailor one day.
smile.gif
I suspect that your reference is to T&A bespoke shirt orders, which is an entirely different process than Jantzen online orders.
Turnbull & Asser, Tailor & Shirtmaker, established in 1885, Frequently quoted as the best shirtmaker in London, with clients such as Sir Winston Churchill or Prince Charles, ladies department, from £110 for cotton, £175 for sea island cotton to £200 for 2-fold 200 cotton (inc. VAT), Mon-Fri 9am-6pm, Sat 9.30am-6pm, £5 per letter, 6 shirts, two to three weeks for sample, wash two or three times, another eight weeks for completion, +44-20-7808 3000, +44-20-7808 3001, 70 Jermyn Street, London St. James's W1Y 6PF, Green Park / Piccadilly Circus
Jantzen shirt orders through its website certainly wouldn't qualify as bespoke, or as true MTM, for that matter (others may disagree with this MTM assessment). Â Customers that use the Jantzen website are afforded an options section which permits them to potentially adjust fit much more accurately, and which is something I've seen offered by few shirt retailers that sell online. Your ambition to one day retain a personal tailer is admirable. Â I hope he provides you with a better service than I've received from a few of my more conventionally hired tailors. Â Â Â
confused.gif

BjornH

Reaction score
Gregory, I have one shirt with the P15 collar and it occupies the same niche in my closet as my jerimyn street shirts do. I just got my latest with a #5 (Regular spread) and it's still going through it's first washing and drying so I haven't had the chance to try it on for real. First impressions are that the collar is quite small and soft so perhaps this will be my first 'dud' from jantzen. I was aiming for a similiar collar to my RL philip shirt but the jury is still out.

B

shirtcrazed

Reaction score
A quick look at the Jantzen site produced no collar style actually described as "cut away"...unless I missed it.  Among those displayed on the website (#4, 15, 16, 16A, 27, 28, A3, or P-15) which spread style(s) are you considering?

I was referring to Collar #P-15, the "British Cut Away."

DPDNYC

Reaction score
I, too, like the classic cutaway. From Jantzen, i've been opting for collar style 27 (full spread). I like it, but it is not quite as cut away as I would prefer. For my most recent order, i've decided to use the full spread, but shorten the collar point from 3 1/8 to 2 3/4 and eliminate the tie space. I don't know why this makes me think it will look more like a cutaway, but I thought it was worth a try. I'll report on the results when I get the shirts.

GQ Docter

Reaction score
I soon plan to order a shirt from Jantzen Tailor. I have a preference for spread collars but it is difficult to determine the spreads of each collar when they are not on a shirt (as they are displayed on the Jantzen Tailor website). However, I am looking for a collar as illistrated in this photograph from the movie Ocean's Eleven:
moc012b.jpg
Perhaps someone who has had experience with collars at Jantzen tailor could tell me which collar on the website most closely matches the collar in the picture above. Cura ut Valeas, Ari

rayk

Reaction score
The collar in your photo is one that you won't find among Jantzen's standard styles.  The back height and point length appear to be somewhat exaggerated.

Include with your order the picture of the collar style that you would like Ricky to attempt to copy.  I've never made a request that exceeded the choices on the Jantzen site, and so I can't say how accommodating Ricky is; although, I can't imagine him refusing your request.  Perhaps others could prove more helpful.

gregory

Reaction score
I share your enthusiasm for the collar depicted. Good luck. I must say, however, that I personally dislike seeing guys spread their shirt collars outside their jackets/sweaters. To me, that is too feminine and indiscrete.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads