• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jantzen shirt advice

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(1) Should I continue to go with the regular placket, or the french front?

(2) Should I go with the side pleats or no pleats?

(3) I need two or three more plain white shirts -- is the fine twill and/or a herringbone a better bet than the Sea Island? I have one of the Sea Island's and it seems like maybe the twills and herringbones will be less apt to wrinkle during the day.

(4) I starting to really like French cuffs. These will be work shirts primarily. Should I go with some French cuffs and some barrell? On which type of shirt does the French go better?

(5) Will the nature color Trocas look like the nature MOPs? (I don't like the thick MOPs and they are sold out of the thin MOPs).

(6) I love the collars on the shirts that are the "icons" for the fabric types. Does that look like the 4 or 5 collar to you? Should I go with a mix of collar styles?

PeterMetro

Reaction score
It's pretty much a matter of opinion, but here's what I would do. (1) Should I continue to go with the regular placket, or the french front? Not sure what you mean by a French front, but if you mean without a placket, I say go for it. I think it's a cleaner look. (2) Should I go with the side pleats or no pleats? I think no pleats make for a nicer looking shirt. As you're getting it tailored, you can build in some room if need be. (3) I need two or three more plain white shirts -- is the fine twill and/or a herringbone a better bet than the Sea Island? I have one of the Sea Island's and it seems like maybe the twills and herringbones will be less apt to wrinkle during the day. I think cheaper cotton wrinkles, not necessarily the weave. I could be wrong. If you're going to get a few, why not have a variety? (4) I starting to really like French cuffs. These will be work shirts primarily. Should I go with some French cuffs and some barrell? On which type of shirt does the French go better? I only wear French cuffed shirts under a jacket - there was a thread on this a while ago. They look sharp, but if you want to roll up your sleeves, it's a bit of a pain.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
although i like variety in my plackets, no one really sees the placket if you're wearing a tie so it becomes a moot point

get a variety in the make of the white shirts, plain poplin is nice but herringbone weaves and twills add texture to a seemingly dull white shirt

get some double cuff and some plain barrel cuffs - believe me, there a some days you may just not want to wear cufflinks

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(1)  Should I continue to go with the regular placket, or the french front?

(2) Should I go with the side pleats or no pleats?  

(3) I need two or three more plain white shirts -- is the fine twill and/or a herringbone a better bet than the Sea Island?  I have one of the Sea Island's and it seems like maybe the twills and herringbones will be less apt to wrinkle during the day.

(4) I starting to really like French cuffs.  These will be work shirts primarily.  Should I go with some French cuffs and some barrell?  On which type of shirt does the French go better?

(5) Will the nature color Trocas look like the nature MOPs?  (I don't like the thick MOPs and they are sold out of the thin MOPs).

(6) I love the collars on the shirts that are the "icons" for the fabric types.  Does that look like the 4 or 5 collar to you?  Should I go with a mix of collar styles?
2 no

3 this is not true "sea island" @this price

4 on nice shirts

coatandthai

Reaction score
1) French front.
2) Side pleats look more tailored with coat off.  
3) Twill is least likely to wrinkle but twill is very heavy.  I received swatches of Jantzen's Dobby whites and the very small patterns look the best IMHO, particularly 21, 33, 38, 71, 121 and 136.
4) ?
5) The 3.55mm MOPs are very thick and they are a little difficult to button with the machine made button holes in a heavy fabric.  Next time I am going with a thinner button, probably the 3.4mm Trocas rather than the gray MOP.  
6) I went with the A3 semi-spread and frankly, it is just barely large enough.  Be sure to measure a favorite collar.  Next time, I may go with #28.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads