• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jantzen, Reliable at last?

esquilax

Reaction score
Sent in my third order for 3 shirts

Ordered Dec 30th.
Confirmation Dec 31st.
Charged Jan 20th

Nothing received yet, but I'm not too worried. He took 5 weeks for my first order and 3 for my second.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hong Kong is celebrating the Lunar New Year this weekend and almost all shops, Jantzen included, will be closed for the week- some shops even extend their break to 2 weeks. FYI.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mullivan
taxgenius69 - any recommendations for a good plain white fabric from jantzen? something from the new 'super fine cotton' section perhaps?

Sorry, that was the only plain white shirt I ordered. I had the same questions as you do.

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
Thinking of making the first order - I sent a couple of emails with sporadic responses so I was going to write a letter with all the options and everything else i want and mail it in with a shirt (which I want them to copy measurements from).
I will include the credit card details in the letter.
Thoughts? Is this a good way to do it? Should I follow up with a call to make sure they know when they get it?
Thanks.

atct86

Reaction score
How would the shrirt compare to My Tailor, Brooks Brothers or Charles Thyrwitt?

What are the highest quality traditional fabrics?

free man

Reaction score
I think out of anything, Jantzen is going to have the worst quality fabric. But that is part of the reqason they are so cheap.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
How would the shrirt compare to My Tailor, Brooks Brothers or Charles Thyrwitt?
Jantzen made my shirt fit basically spot on the way I wanted it on the first order with the exception of not leaving a shrinkage allowance in the sleeve. I will probably call Ricky later to request that he make me a set of cuffs 1/2" taller to replace my current ones with, effectively lengthening the sleeves just enough to accommodate for shrinkage. The superfine European cotton fabrics feels to me as nice as something from Harvie and Hudson.

Fabric wise, the fabrics from the more expensive books from Brooks Brothers are nicer than Jantzen's superfine European cotton range, but these also cost about $200+ per shirt, whereas Jantzen is only $50 or so including mother of pearl buttons, which Brooks does not typically carry. Brooks Brothers made me a shirt once with MoP buttons, and when I ordered more shirts, they were unable to help me find the buttons I wanted.

MyTailor's workmanship overall seemed nice, but there was some details that I was not happy with. I think the consensus is that their Thomas Mason fabrics are the way to go. I used their Italian executive 2-ply for $110 or so, and I was disappointed with the feel and look of it. Their double cuffs also were tapered unusually so that they were total about 1/2" roomier than I wanted. I may write to Joe and ask him if he would be willing to make new cuffs that do not do this, and put on MOP buttons, but I've been pretty lazy about it and I'm away from home for a year anyway.

Basically, Jantzen represents the best value that I've found so far IMO.

mr. gieves

Reaction score
I'll be in Hong Kong for 3 days or so - is it possible to walk in Jantzen's store and get measured on the spot/have them copy a shirt? How long will it take for them to get the shirt done if ordered directly on the spot?

Any experiences?

sky140885

Reaction score
Hey guys, need your help on this...
I ordered four shirts but received only one. Emailed Ricky and he said he sent the 3 shirts much earlier, then the other 1 later on. Anyone has the same experience before?

BTW, I was charged for the four shirts.
What should I do now? Tried to call them but was never able to get through.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr. gieves
I'll be in Hong Kong for 3 days or so - is it possible to walk in Jantzen's store and get measured on the spot/have them copy a shirt? How long will it take for them to get the shirt done if ordered directly on the spot?

Any experiences?

yes, and you can get it the next day.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got my first shirt. It was pretty good, but I never got charged for it. They apparently tried to, but my credit card company declined it for security reasons. I told the CC company to allow the charge. Jantzen called me and I told them to try to recharge it.

Haven't been charged yet. Haven't heard back about the second shirt, either, and it's been about a month.

Bummer.

GucciKid

Reaction score
Doing my first self-measurement for a shirt and the collar measurement I get (seems pretty comfortable, like recommended) is 15.2 inches. Would it be best to bump it up to 15.5, which I normally wear, or would it not make much difference. Also, should I expect any collar shrinkage?

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Placed an order for four shirts on 14th Jan
Confirmation received 20th Jan
Charged 23rd Jan
Shipped 24th Jan
Received in Australia 27th Jan (includes public holiday here on the 26th).

Pretty darn good considering Ricky's pre-New Year backlog. Probably the best service I've had from him.

mullivan

Reaction score
Would love to see some pics or more info on your fabric selection.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sent in an order for 3 more shirts a week and a half ago and still have not heard back

Chinese New Year??? or typical Jantzen?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads