1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Jantzen, Reliable at last?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Get Smart, Jul 25, 2007.

1. RatherAnOddball

RatherAnOddball Senior member

Two dumb questions about Jantzen:

1) Looks like they'll make trousers too, but there's no online ordering form for them....that I can find? So if I'd like some, what ought I to do - apart from going to HK?

2) Has anyone had made - or does anyone think that Jantzen could certainly make were it requested - a tunic collar with the requisite holes for attaching a stiff collar?

2. Stereojeff

Stereojeff Well-Known Member

When I visited Hong Kong in October of 2007, I stopped in to Jantzen Saturday at Noon and picked up 8 shirts at 1:00 PM the next day. I had ordered two shirts previously on-line, but I believe that had little to do with their speed.

Jeff

3. cchen

cchen Senior member

made my first order last night, still awaiting confirmation....

4. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

Any recommendations for a particular fabric or style from Jantzen?

5. tom153

tom153 Senior member

Check the last couple of pages for people's reviews. As I understand it you mostly want to avoid their poplins, french oxfords are better, twills and herringbones are very nice.

6. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Senior member

I just received my Jantzen order last week. 2 weeks from date of order to my door in Toronto, which is excellent in my opinion. I went for the superfine fabric, and I must have made a bad choice because it didn't feel like much of an improvement over the regular fabrics. It wrinkles easy and feels pretty rough. I will post pictures and the fabric number so others can avoid it.

7. djtracer21

djtracer21 Well-Known Member

I just received my Jantzen order last week. 2 weeks from date of order to my door in Toronto, which is excellent in my opinion. I went for the superfine fabric, and I must have made a bad choice because it didn't feel like much of an improvement over the regular fabrics. It wrinkles easy and feels pretty rough. I will post pictures and the fabric number so others can avoid it.

Awesome! I am quite interested as to what type of fabrics to avoid even the ones in the extra fine cotton line.

I'm also from Toronto, do you mind letting me know how much a shirt set you back. Are their duties like Maxwells shirts?

Does anyone know how Jantzen shirts are compared to Maxwells Clothiers shirts?

8. cchen

cchen Senior member

still no confirmation

9. Falstaff

Falstaff Active Member

Ordered April 1; confirmed April 2; contacted on April 7 b/c fabric out of stock; mailed April 18; arrived yesterday, May 5. I have no idea why it took so long in the mail.

I chose fabric 2015, from the regular line. I'm not enamored with it. It seems to wrinkle quite easily, and it has a bit of a sheen to it that I don't care for.

10. oaw01

oaw01 Senior member

I bought a black twill superfine - I can say it's as nice as one of my canali shirts. Nice sheen and soft. My other one is okay but I think I'll stick to twll from now on.

11. doublebucklemonk

doublebucklemonk Well-Known Member

First Jantzen shirt.

Ordered April 30, Confirmed May 1, Reconfirmed with corrected price on May 2, Delivered May 14.

I ordered Extrafine 8081-White poplin with Black and Blue Fine Square. The only poplins I have to compare with are cheap OTR like Enro and Van Heusen. Compared to those, the Jantzen material is thicker and heavier which I like, but it is also stiffer. I am hoping it will soften up a bit with a few wearings

All the measurements and details are spot on.

12. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

still no confirmation
    Ricky generally does not confirm orders unless you reach out and ask for that confirmation.

13. inviscid

inviscid Senior member

Ricky generally does not confirm orders unless you reach out and ask for that confirmation.

I've actually been getting confirmations. He even asked to double check my measurements the first time.

In my three orders so far, I've gotten a confirmation within two days or so and the shirts to my door within 2 weeks. Good service and decent construction... I just wish he had better fabrics or at least better swatches online.

14. StopPolloition

StopPolloition Senior member

My 5th order from Jantzen was confirmed within 24 hours without any prompting. I think it's standard for him to confirm it without prompting, but I don't think he works Sundays or some other days, so sometimes it takes him a little longer to get back to you. If there is a backlog of work for him to do, I think it has taken him up to 5 days or so to confirm it before.

15. Laffertron

Laffertron Senior member

You guys must be lucky.

I ordered a shirt back in December and my credit card was charged pretty well right away. After confirming a couple of things Ricky emailed me in January saying shirt would be delivered ASAP. I am yet to receive the elusive shirt, I just sent him a note asking to cancel my order and refund my money. Nearly 6 months from original order (which I was charged for) and no shirt!

16. Simon4rings

Simon4rings Well-Known Member

I've ordered 3 shirts from Jantzen through my wife who's now in Hong Kong for holiday;
    Measurements via a sample Paul Smith shirt plus changes in order form. Shirts will be delivered to hotel tomorrow after 3 days. Let's see how they turn out.

17. needler

needler Senior member

In my three orders so far, I've gotten a confirmation within two days or so and the shirts to my door within 2 weeks. Good service and decent construction... I just wish he had better fabrics or at least better swatches online.

This is really the problem. I just got what looked like a simple check pattern on the swatch I ordered. Instead it has these shiny almost herringbone-like texture weaves running through it in the background color, which was not at all visible in the swatch.

I actually rather like the effect, but it ends up being a flashier shirt than I expected. Which is fine; you can't do Jantzen without an open mind. But there are a lot of fabrics on there I would never touch because I have no idea if they'll look horrendous 50 dollars later (basically anything that's not simple-looking). The one time I got a multi-colored stripe it was not a good affair. Pictures of shirts people have gotten is really the only safe way to order a fabric.

18. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

You guys must be lucky.

I ordered a shirt back in December and my credit card was charged pretty well right away. After confirming a couple of things Ricky emailed me in January saying shirt would be delivered ASAP. I am yet to receive the elusive shirt, I just sent him a note asking to cancel my order and refund my money. Nearly 6 months from original order (which I was charged for) and no shirt!

I think you are just unlucky?

19. StopPolloition

StopPolloition Senior member

You guys must be lucky.

Use the phone and ask for Ricky. If you talk to him in person, you likely will get the shirt and an apology.

20. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Has anyone ordered and received any of the white superfine fabrics? I would love to see some decent pics and get an idea what they look like.