1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Jantzen, Reliable at last?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Get Smart, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Stereojeff

Stereojeff Well-Known Member

I also received an email from Ricky yesterday stating that he'd received my faxed order for two shirts and both fabrics were out of stock. He included a link to the latest fabrics. I selected two and emailed my choices. I've received two shirts previously. The first took 5 months. The second 17 days. Obviously, I prefer the latter.

Jeff

2. water

water Senior member

My credit card was charged late last week, which is hopefully a sign that my shirt is on the way. It took quite a while, so I really hope it turns out well.

3. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

See my reply in the HK tailors price thread.

If I read them correctly (and someone has mentioned this before) the internet/online service was really set up for pre-existing customers who were leaving HK at the time of the handover. They have their measurements on record and are happy to proceed with those with minor adjustments etc. They seem a bit anxious about many 'fresh' internet customers, citing odd measurements. They mentioned that they were concerned about the customer satisfaction in these cases.

They are moving to new premises 19th September. I went last week to place an order for an Australian forumite and they were ready to be picked up after 72 hours, though I didn't get to the shop until a few days later. My own shirt order was fine.

I'm not sure how the new premises (much much much bigger) will translate to more reliable/quicker/better online services if it's just a bigger shop front and not the actual manufacturing.

4. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

See my reply in the HK tailors price thread.

If I read them correctly (and someone has mentioned this before) the internet/online service was really set up for pre-existing customers who were leaving HK at the time of the handover. They have their measurements on record and are happy to proceed with those with minor adjustments etc. They seem a bit anxious about many 'fresh' internet customers, citing odd measurements. They mentioned that they were concerned about the customer satisfaction in these cases.

They are moving to new premises 19th September. I went last week to place an order for an Australian forumite and they were ready to be picked up after 72 hours, though I didn't get to the shop until a few days later. My own shirt order was fine.

I'm not sure how the new premises (much much much bigger) will translate to more reliable/quicker/better online services if it's just a bigger shop front and not the actual manufacturing.

I suspect the new store will make online service worse - larger premises will generate more in-store orders that Ricky will process with greater priority than his online backlog.

There really is no excuse for how he is treating people who have been loyal online customers. Endorsements of his online service are what led me to visit his shop when I was in HK instead of the vast number of alternatives. One channel benefits from the other, and losing your reputation in one channel hurts the other.

If he doesn't want to service online customers, he should shut down his website and send emails to all people with unfilled orders giving them the option of backing out.

5. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

I suspect the new store will make online service worse - larger premises will generate more in-store orders that Ricky will process with greater priority than his online backlog.

There really is no excuse for how he is treating people who have been loyal online customers. Endorsements of his online service are what led me to visit his shop when I was in HK instead of the vast number of alternatives. One channel benefits from the other, and losing your reputation in one channel hurts the other.

If he doesn't want to service online customers, he should shut down his website and send emails to all people with unfilled orders giving them the option of backing out.

While I agree with you on what the standard of service should be, what do you think most of the people who've chimed in on this thread would rather have: spotty, unreliable, perpetually tardy Jantzen or no Jantzen at all?

6. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

While I agree with you on what the standard of service should be, what do you think most of the people who've chimed in on this thread would rather have: spotty, unreliable, perpetually tardy Jantzen or no Jantzen at all?

It would particularly be a shame if he shut down the interent business for all the people who have spent time and money getting their shirts right. Of course if he wanted to stop taking new internet customers, I might be ok with that [​IMG]

7. California Dreamer

Brian I can't answer for "most people", but I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather have no Jantzen at all. I need at least a minimum amount of predictability when I spend my money.

Bear in mind that, while an individual Jantzen may be cheap, when you order multiples it gets into the hundreds pretty quick. I expect a fair bit when I am spending amounts like that with a vendor.

8. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

I suspect that they're going to be busier than ever. I was there on a Friday afternoon and there were already four people in the shop, one trying on a jacket, two getting measured up for shirts and one picking up shirts (a bag of 8 or so) and then there was me.

Like it or not, the internet side is always going to take a back seat to their on site business, which keeps them busy, and they feel far more in control.

9. wpeters

wpeters Senior member

I just received my Jantzen order on August 23. I placed a re-order (years-long internet customer) in April, and never got a response. On the advise of other forumites, I reordered with materials from http://www.jantzentailor.com/latestmaterial3.htm on July 15. Not a bad turn around. Looks like Ricky has been blasting through internet orders this month.

10. scot

scot Senior member

I placed my first order in november... nothing. multiple follow ups etc. Finally found a faxing service in hong kong and send them over another request that way.

Took another week and as of this weekend they sent me a confirmation with one last question about the order. Woo! Haven't been billed yet, but hopefully it is coming soon.

11. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

My last order took 4.5 months to arrive. If you´re in a hurry, I don´t think you should bother.

12. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Senior member

what is their new address - I will be in in hong kong next week, and planed on getting some clothes.

The new shop will open in two weeks. The old shop will be open for a couple more months.

The address will be
    United Chinese Bank Building 2/F
    Des Vouex Road Central

Apparently, they have been slow to put their new fabrics on the web page because of some problems with Vista.

13. California Dreamer

The order I placed on April 6th just arrived - just shy of 5 months later.

Only two of the 3 shirts I ordered were included, so it is back to the same ol' same ol'.

Sorry, but "reliable" is not happening any time soon, or ever as far as I can tell.

14. Kevin

Kevin Senior member

Still waiting on mine from April 15. [​IMG]

15. Gong Tao

Gong Tao Senior member

I got mine today. Ordered on August 13.

16. dr.no

dr.no Senior member

2nd order placed 7/7, shirts arrived 8/31. Shirts came out perfectly.

17. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Unbelievable turnaround at Jantzen these days:
    - ordered five shirts on 8/21
    - order acknowledged by Ricky on 8/25
    - full order sent from HK on 8/30
    - received in NYC today (9/4)

[​IMG]

18. struan87

struan87 Member

- ordered tuxedo shirt on 8/7
    - order acknowledged by Ricky on 8/11
    - received in Seattle 9/1

Hooray! I'll definitely be ordering more. The fit is perfect except around my waist; I sent them a waist measurement that was 3-4" larger than my pants waist because that's what I got when I measured the fullest part of my stomach. Next time I'll just order the small size to get the slim fit I want.

19. briancl

briancl Senior member

- ordered tuxedo shirt on 8/7
    - order acknowledged by Ricky on 8/11
    - received in Seattle 9/1

I ordered on 8/8, acknowledged by Ricky on 8/11, but no sign of the package, yet. I will post when it arrives.

20. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Guys on my mod forum that ordered in Aug received their shirts promptly as well so it may seem Ricky finally has his internet biz sorted out, hopefully.