Jantzen, Reliable at last?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Get Smart, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

does this limit movement at all? do pleats really help that much for allowing more movement on a slim shirt?

no I dont feel it does. and I have slim shirts with no pleats/darts that move fine.

2. warlok1965

warlok1965 Senior member

did u list ur body measurements or an already made shirt measurements?

Body measurements. I used the same measurements on both shirts, but on the second one I asked for a slimmer fit. The shirt came 2" bigger through the whole trunk. I'll try specifying existing shirt measurements next time.

3. Mr. Potato

Mr. Potato Senior member

Got my shirt today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Which fabric is that? How is the feel? How is it after washing?

4. mmize

mmize Well-Known Member

I just recieved an email saying my shirt would ship ASAP; does this mean the shirt has already been made? I looked over the order form again and realized I had measured the sleeve incorrectly, is there a chance I can email them in time to save it?

5. Faded501s

Faded501s Senior member

^^^ No, I don't believe so. It means that Ricky finally got around to confirming your order. I suggest calling him.

6. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

while ironing this week, i measured about a dozen jantzen shirts and compared the numbers i have now to what i ordered. to my surprise, in most cases i now have what i requested or longer. jantzen definitely adds some shrinkage allowance.

the two that shrank the most were 2284, white royal oxford, and 2588 (the champion shrinker), white pique with navy broad stripes. that said, i have another 2284 that still measures 1/2 in longer than what i requested. all of these shirts have been laundered repeatedly, anywhere from i'd guess five to twenty times, and all were washed the same way (cold wash, cold rinse, fluff dry no heat for one hour, hang dry the rest of the way).

so maybe it's shrinkage, or maybe that one (or two) shirts arrived shorter than requested. or maybe there was some anomaly in the laundry. not sure.

point is, these shirts did not shrink that much. three measure just what i ordered, and another seven measure 1/8 to 1/2 inch longer than i requested.

so if you are getting too-short sleeves, i suggest you double-check the measurement you are providing. also reconsider your laundry methods if they are producing unwearable shirts.

p.s. i was measuring the sleeves as (shoulder/2, measured across the vertical center of the split yoke) + the outside edge of the ironed sleeve.

7. nicad2000

nicad2000 Senior member

Does anyone have any experience with the Irish linen Jantzen is advertising? It's getting to be that time of year in NC but I plan on waiting until my first "experimental" shirt comes back before dropping the 500 HK$ or so.

8. thejuice

thejuice Active Member

Is Janzten finally reliable??? Anyone have any horror stories of long waits/lost orders int he last 2 months??

9. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

Is Janzten finally reliable??? Anyone have any horror stories of long waits/lost orders int he last 2 months??

it's been pretty reliable as of late. however, there's pretty much no point in asking this question. just think of jantzen like a surprise grab bag - if you get your orders, great. if you don't, then you weren't *expecting* a present now, were you? [​IMG]

10. coogie

coogie Senior member

I am in Hong Kong for a few days and just ordered from Jantzen 2 suit trousers for $130 each. It seems so expensive.. his store looks so unprofessional and his sales staff wear jeans and stupid tshirts. Are you sure this guy is as good as you say?

11. warlok1965

warlok1965 Senior member

Re: my oversized shirt that I mentioned above: after I washed it a couple of times, it shrank... a lot. It is now much closer to what I expected. Apparently they know which fabrics will shrink more and size up accordingly when measuring and cutting. Kudos to Ricky and Co.

his store looks so unprofessional and his sales staff wear jeans and stupid tshirts. Are you sure this guy is as good as you say?

At $40 per custom shirt, they can wear leather diapers and speak in barbaric grunts for all I care. [​IMG]

12. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I am in Hong Kong for a few days and just ordered from Jantzen 2 suit trousers for $130 each. It seems so expensive.. his store looks so unprofessional and his sales staff wear jeans and stupid tshirts. Are you sure this guy is as good as you say?

As they say, don't judge a book... walk around Tsim Sha Tsui, specially Nathan Road and its chock full of tailor shops with the proprietors and their entourage wearing sports coats and suits and they make worse clothes.

13. coogie

coogie Senior member

what about the prices? Is that a good price for basic suit trousers?

14. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

Is Janzten finally reliable???
    As long as you stick to "latest materials" 3 and 4, as they advise on their front page, they seem to have been pretty reliable in the past few months.