• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jantzen Question

maxse

Reaction score
Hi guys. I think I am ready to order my first Jantzen shirt.

I have a question about the measuring guide on their web site.

I currently don't have a shirt that I can say fits me very well.

Does the guide on their web site require you to do the measure with an actual shirt on? Or just on the body?

Im asking because on the picture it shows where the measurements are on an actual shirt. I would appreciate any help.

Also, any suggestions on fabrics? I am building a wardrobe from scratch. Thanks.

bc78

Reaction score
I did the measurements on my body and had my girl doublecheck any I was unsure that I did well.

As for fabrics, oxfords are good for casual shirts, although the french oxford is probably ok for dress shirts as well. Oxfords are heavier generally. Twills are another heavier fabric which is more appropriate for dress shirts. If you want light weight dress shirts try poplin or end on end. Hope this helps.

maxse

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Nowin terms of Fabric.. I mean which patterns do you guys recommend?

It seems like all of the good ones are out of stock!

I am trying to build a dressy wardrobe from scratch. Any suggestions on the actual patterns?

Anyway here are my measurements, are they reasonable for a slim shirt?

1) Shirt length = 29 Inches
2) Shoulders = 17.5 inches BLUE SLOPE SHOULDER
3) Chest 40.5" inches
4) Waist 37 Inches
5) Neck 16.3 Inches
6) Sleeve 32.5 Inches
7) Ht. 5'9" Weight
8) Wt 178lbs

warmpi

Reaction score
might help to post a picture
i'm the same height as you. but 30 lbs lighter.. i'm guessing the waist measurement is accurate...

don't mean to brag, but i had ricky measure me. fit was awesome. too bad i've gained weight and the shirts are too tight now.

bc78

Reaction score
maxse;1641206 said:
Thanks guys. Nowin terms of Fabric.. I mean which patterns do you guys recommend?

I am trying to build a dressy wardrobe from scratch. Any suggestions on the actual patterns?

If you're trying to do this from scratch I'd start with just a plain white or blue shirt. Then check the measurements and order more afterwards

maxse

Reaction score
I wanted to order a nice white shirt, but it seems all the nice one are out of stock!

Unfortunately, I think the waist measurements are correct. Im not a fat guy, but I did gain some decent-sized love handles while at school

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by maxse
I currently don't have a shirt that I can say fits me very well. Does the guide on their web site require you to do the measure with an actual shirt on? Or just on the body?
I think this has been covered in the other threads. You can either give them your body measurements or shirt measurements. There is an option or comment on the form that you should tell them if you are measuring from a shirt. It's probably the better option, if you have a really well fitting shirt or if you have someone that can pin and measure one of your shirts so it fits well. If you give them body measurements you need to pick how you want the shirt to fit. I think the tightest you can specify will be 2-4 inches bigger in the body. What they will do in reality for your first shirt is take your chest measurement + fitting allowance and do a straight taper to your hip measurement, so make sure you give them the largest measurement you get around your hips and bum as your hip measurement. You'll get to adjust your measurements for future orders. It doesn't matter whether or not you wear a shirt at the time, it won't change your measurements. For fabrics, there is a Jantzen fabric thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads