• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jantzen Ordering - Advice (mainly re: measurement)

supercarl

Reaction score
I am thinking of ordering a Jantzen very soon, as I am a gambler and fancy my odds...!

Am I best to measure an existing shirt, or have myself measured by someone? What kind of discrepancy should I expect between the two measurements (on a slim fit shirt).

Also, broadly what fabrics should I go for? I have read that his Oxfords are best - any other guidelines?

Thanks!

padronlover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely measure an existing shirt and make the necessary adjustments you'd like.
Providing body measurements is risky as it leaves more room for error by both parties as well as a possibility for misinterpretation by Ricky TAAAAAN!

laphroaig

Reaction score
I agree with the shirt measurement option. I would take a shirt, pin it until you get a fit you are after and base your measurements on that. I ordered my first shirt using body measurements and while a good fit, they ended up just straight tapering the shirt from chest to the bottom based on the measurements I provided. A few people have mentioned the same thing. You end up having to provide adjustments for your next shirt anyway.

Not sure about the fabrics, there is a Jantzen fabric thread floating around with pictures of a few fabrics.

jc138

Reaction score
Originally Posted by padronlover
Definitely measure an existing shirt and make the necessary adjustments you'd like.
Providing body measurements is risky as it leaves more room for error by both parties as well as a possibility for misinterpretation by Ricky TAAAAAN!

+1

highball

Reaction score
Originally Posted by supercarl
Also, broadly what fabrics should I go for? I have read that his Oxfords are best - any other guidelines?

I am wondering this as well. I've seen fabrics both good and bad mentioned in various threads, but is there a single thread that is the go-to for "reviews" of different Jantzen fabrics that members have tried? (A search for "Jantzen Fabrics" turns up an ungodly number of results)

If there isn't such a thread, let me know & I'll start one.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I, and several others, have used body measurements, and then put in the note section "these are the measurements of one of my best fitting shirts: _______" I've had decent luck with this, and I think others have too.

I would suggest measuring for the sleeves and shirt length, then adding some. Once you think it's right, add some more. Better to get these measurements too long (which can easily be fixed locally) than too short. All of my Jantzan shirts have had the sleeves shorter than I anticipated, even after I added extra length.

orthofrancis

Reaction score
Ordered from Jantzen. After one ignored e-mail, my second received a response telling me the fabric I wanted was sold out. So I sent a list of 4 others in the preferred order. Probably a good idea to include a pattern/fabric name to present transposition errors.
I measured myself and then measured some favorite fitting shirts of mine to tweak the numbers (Zegna and Boss Red line)
Shirt arrived in 2-3 weeks after order. used fabric #2145, Blue Box Dobby with Navy Squares,
100's, 2 Ply,100% Italian Cotton

I am quite pleased at it's fit - probably better than most of my previous OTR purchases, certainly fits as well as a Z Zegna, or Boss Red Line. Much slimmer and better fitting than Brooks Bros "slim" fit.

Just for reference, I am 6'4", 205 pounds (1.94 M, 93 Kgs) - yeah getting a little heavy - sigh. Shirts I need are 16.5 neck and 36/7 arm length. Tall with long arms, so most shirts fit like crap. Arms too short, waist too high, shirt too short, and baggy.
Close up of the fabric detail - nice pattern matching on Yoke/sleeve.
closejantzenms9.jpg

By orthofrancis, shot with SP350 at 2008-10-15
Front views
apjantzenvr7.jpg

Arm out to check movement
extjantzenau0.jpg

Side shot - Crap! - It's time for some sit ups and less eating out!
latjantzenid0.jpg

Definitely going to be buying more from them

hkoros

Reaction score
Is there a section on Jantzen's website that lets you input shirt measurements? (or how can you specify to him?).
The "how to measure" page on their site...is that for body measurement or shirt measurement?? (kinda confusing since it shows a shirt picture).

Wondering if Jantzen might misinterpret shirt measurements (ie. measure from where to where) since the ordering page doesn't have option to input both shirt and body measurements .

I would ask Jantzen, but they don't seem to respond to emails sent.

msmame4u

Reaction score
I am thinking of ordering a Jantzen very soon, as I am a gambler and fancy my odds...!

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hkoros
Is there a section on Jantzen's website that lets you input shirt measurements? (or how can you specify to him?). The "how to measure" page on their site...is that for body measurement or shirt measurement??
The guide is for body measurement but you can also use it as a guide to measure your shirts in the same locations. The answer to your other question is on the order form: (If you measure from the finished shirt, please remark the measurements are measured from your shirt.) The note goes in the remarks box sitting under the measurements boxes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads