• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jantzen measurements

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have ordered several shirts from Jantzen and am pleased with the price-quality ratio. One thing that drives me nuts, however, is I have never, on dress shirts, gotten the sleeves just right. I was trying on my new Chan suit the other night and I tried it on with a white Ascot Chang shirt that I own. The sleeves were perfect-- just the right amount of white showing. I then tried it with several Jantzen shirts and no sleeve was showing.

I look at the measurements I am sending Jantzen and they seem to be way too long. I keep modifying them every time, hoping they get it just right. It's just a problem on the dress shirts, because I want cuff to show.

Has anyone else had this problem?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I've not used Jantzen, but couldn't you send them measurements from the Chang shirt or even the actual Chang shirt itself for them to copy?

petescolari

Reaction score
I've noticed people here say to order an 1/8-1/2 of an inch longer than you normally would. It is easier to fix a shirt with a slightly longer shirt in the sleeeve than one that is shorter.

I received my first shirt a couple of weeks ago and the sleeve and shoulder are perfect; hits right at the thumb 'root'. Maybe I "measured/guessed" luckily.

May I ask how much you have been modifying the measurement each time you reorder? If you have a digital camera, seems like something Ricky could be able to fix after seeing the problem.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've noticed people here say to order an 1/8-1/2 of an inch longer than you normally would.  It is easier to fix a shirt with a slightly longer shirt in the sleeeve than one that is shorter.  

I received my first shirt a couple of weeks ago and the sleeve and shoulder are perfect;  hits right at the thumb 'root'.  Maybe I "measured/guessed" luckily.  

May I ask how much you have been modifying the measurement each time you reorder?  If you have a digital camera, seems like something Ricky could be able to fix after seeing the problem.
I've just added an eigth-inch or so every time. Never seems to be right. The Chang shirt, on the other hand, is a M2M that I had done back in 1997. I bought it mail order, filled out this card with my measurements and they got it right the first time and I am still using it. A very very good shirt.

I see where people have sent shirts to Ricky. I think I will do that. Can anyone who has done so chime in on how much it costs postage, how well it works, etc?

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dunno if this is helpful or not, but it might also be useful to check the armscye size and the sleeve cap height. if the armscye is too big, and/or the sleeve cap too shallow, you will probably run into some issues with the sleeve riding up once you put on a jacket.

/andrew

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My sleeve length is perfect... if my arms are hanging straight at my side. But when they move, bye bye shirt cuff.

For my second order, I think I'll shrink the cuff circumference, but add a half inch to the length. For the price, it's baby steps to the perfect fit. But this shirt is wearable (in fact, I'm wearing it now).

jester

Reaction score
My first Jantzen order, I sent a shirt that fit well but I selected a different collar style and I ended up not liking it. It fit fine, but it was my fault that I tried guessing about the collar.

My next one, I sent in a bespoke shirt that was absolutely perfect, and just said "copy this, using fabric Y". My new shirt was perfect.

The postage was fairly minimal--$5 by airmail? I don't remember.

Brian SD

Reaction score
perhaps the cuff size is a little too small and it is not resting on your hand the same way your Chang shirt is. You might try comparing cuff sizes between the two.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads