• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jantzen Fabric to go with Navy Pinstripe Suit

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of establishing myself as a Jantzen customer. I've ordered a shirt, and am now planning a second, to refine the measurements.

I want the second shirt to be a bit special - I'm hoping to wear it for my silver wedding. My wife and I are going to Melbourne's finest restaurant, and we are both dressing up. It is in late December, so the weather is possibly going to be pretty hot.

I'm planning to wear a navy Castangia suit. The suit (pictured below) is quite a dark navy, and has a dark tan pinstripe. The pinstripes are about 3/4" apart.

suitno0.jpg

I've browsed Ricky's website and picked out a few fabrics that I think might work.

http://www.jantzentailor.com/stripe91.htm
http://www.jantzentailor.com/stripe605.htm
http://www.jantzentailor.com/endend18.htm
http://www.jantzentailor.com/dobby175.htm

Do any of these strike your fancy? Do any of you have another favourite Jantzen fabric you think would work well with this suit?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
ok i'll bite. i'd go for the 3rd one, the blue end on end. and if you could, perhaps you could also tell us what tie and pocket square you're going to wear.

oh, and happy anniversary!

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The third one is the only one I sort-of like. #2 is too businessy IMO, and #4 is okay but I would not wear a tan shirt to an event such as the one you have planned. What about: - Light sky blue Jantzen French Oxford #1 (beautiful fabric http://www.jantzentailor.com/frenchoxford01.htm ) - Solid lilac - White with some sort of rich textured pattern and shimmer

mbc

Reaction score
If you need a shirt by a specific date, I might not go with Jantzen. Love their shirts but the delivery date might be a bit unpredictable.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbc
If you need a shirt by a specific date, I might not go with Jantzen. Love their shirts but the delivery date might be a bit unpredictable.

oh, yeah. forgot about this. take heed, you might receive that shirt for your NEXT anniversary dinner.
laugh.gif

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks gents for your input. Since I posted this, I saw Versaceman's swatch in another thread, and I thought "Wow"! I have a feeling that an Oxford cloth might be a little heavy for a Melbourne summer (particularly the one we look like having), but I really like that fabric. His lilacs seem very popular and most are sold out. I quite like this birds-eye pattern: http://www.jantzentailor.com/dobbydesign94.htm The first shirt I ordered was a white small-herringbone, so I would prefer something different this time. There is a dot-pattern white and a diamond-pattern white that I've marked down for future reference. I think the blue French Oxford is probably best. Your point about turnaround time is well taken. I'm well aware that this is a gamble on my part, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. I have other shirts I can wear if Ricky doesn't come through, albeit I would like a new one for the occasion. Thanks acidicboy for the "happy anniversary".

pinchi22

Reaction score
Love their shirts but the delivery date might be a bit unpredictable.
+1. I hope to get mine before the first anniversary after they charged my credit card. So, far over 3 months since credit card charge, calls to Ricky and ...nothing.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
If the hot weather is a consideration, you might try the light blue linen.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
If the hot weather is a consideration, you might try the light blue linen.
Agreed. If any of the fabrics above though the med, blue end & end. The best fabrics by JantZen the twills and dobbies would probably be too hot. I much like light blue with navy suits.

pkincy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbc

I agree. We need to know Dec of what year you want to go to dinner to help with Jantzen.

Perry

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A great alternative albeit less fabric selections is
www.mysuitshop.com Turn around is 2-3 weeks I like mine quite a bit. I have no knowledge of super luxurious fabrics. But, I do like their cotton twill.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics