• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jantzen confirmation

pfunk

Reaction score
I got a confirmation from Ricky that he got my order for 14 shirts. It took about 2 weeks to confirm, but I believe things are getting better over there. Now, how long do you think it'll be before I actually see shirts?
smile.gif

arvi

Reaction score
i've read often here of jantzen shirts..i see that their prices are unbeliebably low (even if one doesn't consider how well-made they claim thier shirts to be)..after all the hype and delivery delays is it worth the wait?..i'm really getting tempted,considering that i have enough shirts to sit out a months long wait..

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is worth the wait to me if you have enough for the meantime -- I should have given Ricky pictures and a scye measurement, but even so I feel they are very good for the money. Unlike Tom, I have had no problems with construction or the fabrics. The fit in the body is slightly worse than my Chan shirt, which was made using measurements taken by a Chan tailor, but it fits better from the elbow down and across the shoulders than my Chan shirt (Chan makes a better yoke though, I think, and it's placket is more suited for tieless wear than my Jantzen shirts for some reason). I tried on Fray and Truzzi at Louis, and I still would have needed tailoring to get them to fit as well as my Jantzen shirts. I believe the superior fit (I have a narrow torso and thin wrists) of my Jantzen shirts makes the inferior fabric (as compared to Fray, etc.) the much better shirt for me, and at about 1/4 of the price. If you don't mind paying double, and are in an area where Chan visits, take a shot at Chan for quicker delivery, slightly better fit through the torso, and slightly better fabrics (but only slightly). But otherwise, I think Jantzen is worth the wait and is fun (because with Jantzen you are truly going "bespoke," whereas I found Chan more of a MTM job where I didn't have time to specify little details like button hole stitching, gusset color, etc.).

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Johnny,
Did you specify your wrist measurement with Chan? They like using a standard cuff, and won't go custom unless you ask for it.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, they measured me up and at the very end when he was done I mentioned that my wrist is small and that I would like that to be taken into consideration when making my cuff.  I think I said, "My wrist is 6.5 inches."  He measured it and said, "yes we will take that into consideration."  I then emailed Chan and told them to take this into consideration for my suit sleeves as well.  For the suit sleeve, the wrist is a bit tighter than most OTR suits -- though probably slightly larger than my Oxxford, which has the smallest sleeve opening of any of my suits (though for my second Chan suit I got a narrower sleeve still, both in the upper and lower arms, which makes it pretty close to perfect).  For the shirt sleeve, it wrist is fairly well-fitting, but is probably 1/3 to 1/2 inch larger than I prefer.  I probably should have been more assertive and specific about what circumfrence I wanted. If I place a future order, I could easily have them rectify this and lenghten the sleeve about 1/4" -- I prefer a little snugger cuff and little longer sleeve.  As it stands though, my Chan shirt is one of my favorites, perhaps my favorite for wearing without a suit coat.  With my suit coats, I feel like my Jantzen cuffs look better due to the slightly snugger sizing (gives the illusion of a thicker wrist, IMO).

BjornH

Reaction score
I think Tom's troubles were the result of the sleeves being too short. This put a strain on the cuff and elbows and the sleeve disintegrated. Speaking of quality problems, I've been wielding needle and thread for the past days. I've had to refasten 7 buttons on my two most used T&A shirts (that brings the total for my 3 T&As up to 14. ) and I had to refasten 3 buttons on my favorite Jantzen shirt. I've been wearing it at least once a week for over a year so perhaps it's just normal wear. I would certanly give them a try,arvi. Order one shirt and then forget about it and you'll get a surprise later this year. There are a lot of 'consumer reports' on this site. Do a search for the word 'checkers' and include all the older posts. This will bring up some threads with pictures such as: This page Bjorn

color_reporter

Reaction score
If it's indeed true as some members have reported that Rickey only charges after he has shipped the shirts, maybe the situation is improving: I placed my order for five shirts on 12/22 and my credit card was charged on 1/5.

I think delivery usually takes 2 weeks so I'll find out soon and report back.

bryce330

Reaction score
Jesus, I am still waiting on a shirt order from August.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've read often here of jantzen shirts..i see that their prices are unbeliebably low (even if one doesn't consider how well-made they claim thier shirts to be)..after all the hype  and delivery delays is it worth the wait?..i'm really getting tempted,considering that i have enough shirts to sit out a months long wait..
Is it worth the wait? That's really a personal decision. I have found that I cannot find another supplier of shirts at this quality level for a similar price. Now, to someone who sees $40 and $140 as roughly the same price, it would be a different view. Also, if having them here in a week or two is worth $100 to you then you may feel differently.

I, on the other hand, send my orders out into cyberland a few times every year and a few other times every year I get some manilla envelopes from Hong Kong. Truth be told I am an impatient person so I usually call Ricky after a while and he sets my mind at ease and I try to forget about them and just let them get here when they get here.

That reminds me.......the second half of my last order should get here pretty soon. I got the first envelope full but not the second (we'll chalk it up to the holidays over there and......wait....)

bch

Reaction score
Jesus, I am still waiting on a shirt order from August.
Me too.  In early January, I sent Ricky a separate e-mail for each of the 4 shirts I ordered in late August.  I figured he would take note.  Sure enough, he e-mailed me back about 5 days later.  He told me that he overlooked my order and apologized.  Since I was making significant measurement changes, he proposed effectively to treat me as a new customer and make only 1 of the 4 shirts, which seems reasonable.  He said I would get it ASAP.

I ordered via e-mail at a time in late August when his on-line order form was on the fritz.  I suspect that has something to do with the order being overlooked.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics