• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jantzen closed for another week - other options?

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a friend visiting Hong kong. Jantzen is closed for chinese new years. Any other options or recommendations? Ascot Chang is a little on the pricey side.

Thanks
-

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you want to experiment, indian tailors in TST should be open. Luk-cha might know a few

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ricky deserves a vacation anyways. On the other hand, I'd expect them to open soon- perhaps on Monday.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a couple of shirts done at McLarrys in TST.

Indian tailors, but on a much higher level from the typical stuff you see with touts along the street. Prices were higher than Ricky at about 350, but he had many of the same fabrics. (I saw a few that I had bought from Jantzen previously). Construction decent, mimilar to Jantzen. FYI, MOP and monogramming extra though.

I still prefer Jantzen, but would buy from McLarrys again in a situation where Jantzen wasnt immediately available.

Cant remember the address, but its off Nathan Road just at one of the MTR stations. Phone book or concierge should be able to help out

K

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Construction decent, similar (sic) to Jantzen.
K

who makes a better machine-stitched shirt than jantzen? i find their construction to be top notch (unless you're looking for something handmade, which is not necessarily better) and on par with the best european brands.

mr_prak

Reaction score
Chan opens tomorrow (monday) again... I believe they put some handwork in their shirts
worship.gif

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
who makes a better machine-stitched shirt than jantzen? i find their construction to be top notch (unless you're looking for something handmade, which is not necessarily better) and on par with the best european brands.

I didnt say better (in fact, I said decent), and I did say that I prefer Jantzen... Only offering what I consider to be an alternative to Jantzen when Ricky is not open.

Thats what the OP asked for...

Issue?

K

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
I didnt say better (in fact, I said decent), and I did say that I prefer Jantzen... Only offering what I consider to be an alternative to Jantzen when Ricky is not open.

Thats what the OP asked for...

Issue?

K

i'm not cheering for jantzen. i don't care who shops where. but you said this indian shirtmaker's construction quality is "decent, similar to jantzen."

to me, that implies that you find jantzen's construction to be only decent, not good, or great. right?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i'm not cheering for jantzen. i don't care who shops where. but you said this indian shirtmaker's construction quality is "decent, similar to jantzen."

to me, that implies that you find jantzen's construction to be only decent, not good, or great. right?

Point taken. Guess it depends on how you read "similar" or "decent".

To me, both cross a certain threshold in quality. Beyond that, the difference is minimal.

K

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
When I met Ricky last year, he mentioned to me that he's itching to spend some time on the beaches of Boracay, Philippines but was so swamped with work. I sure hope he finally took his vacation.

Ed355

Reaction score
I also use Sunshine Tailor near TST for my shirts. His fabric is not that different to Ricky's. The benefit of Sunshine is that he only carries about 70 fabrics, compared to 400 at Jantzen, and the fabrics he has is fairly consistently good - comparable to the nice ones at Jantzen, but Jantzen has a huge amount of crap in its swatches. At Sunshine, you can see and feel rolls of fabrics, and not tiny swatches.

Fabro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr_prak
Chan opens tomorrow (monday) again... I believe they put some handwork in their shirts
worship.gif

Do you have any other details of this?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ed355
I also use Sunshine Tailor near TST for my shirts. His fabric is not that different to Ricky's. The benefit of Sunshine is that he only carries about 70 fabrics, compared to 400 at Jantzen, and the fabrics he has is fairly consistently good - comparable to the nice ones at Jantzen, but Jantzen has a huge amount of crap in its swatches. At Sunshine, you can see and feel rolls of fabrics, and not tiny swatches.

How is sunshine other than fabrics? Cost, buttons, construction, etc??

I love Jantzen except for picking through the fabrics. Sometimes I just want some shirts and let me move on to some fooooood

K

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads