• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jantzen and WW Chan

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my mailer from Chan today. First of all, the wool fabric special is a super 150s from Clayton, but it doesn't really feel like a delicate fabric to me. It's pretty hard finished -- typical English worsted. I'd like to see a full swatch book, but I sort of doubt that this is a fabric that will fall apart any more easily than a typical s. 120s.

Secondly, the shirting fabric looked really familiar to me -- it was a blue and black pinstripe on white broadcloth. I took it up to my closet and placed the swatch up against a Jantzen shirt in the same fabric. I even looked under a magnifying glass. I am 99% certain that it is the same fabric, and is one that Jantzen had available about 8 months ago. I found this very, very funny.

FYI, the Jantzen shirt has washed very, very well. For a 100s cotton, it is very soft and it resists wrinkles well while still have a pretty light hand. For $79 a shirt, I think that this is a definite go with Chan this time.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
definitely, I'm getting at least one suit and many shirts this time around. My shirts from last time (at $110) are great.

bch

Reaction score
I have an Ike Behar shirtmade from what I think is Checkers #481 I can't confirm as I haven't seen the Jantzen fabric in reality, but it looks absolutely identical. The shirt was marked down from $160 at Neiman Marcus for $60. Nice fabric, by the way.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an Ike Behar shirtmade from what I think is Checkers #481 I can't confirm as I haven't seen the Jantzen fabric in reality, but it looks absolutely identical. The shirt was marked down from $160 at Neiman Marcus for $60. Nice fabric, by the way.
I think I have the very same Ike Behar shirt. Great fabric. Otherwise crappy garment.

bch

Reaction score
Yeah, the shirt's nothing special, but it looks good with blue suit. I liked the fabric and needed a shirt for one of those weddings where ties are frowned upon. I decided as I was waling out the door to wear a tie anyway. I wasn't in the wedding, and I wasn't the only one, so it wasn't a big faux pas.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an Express 'Premium Woven Cloth' shirt with this same exact fabric:
stripegreenbluemultistripe3008.jpg
Just noticed this while browsing through the fabrics.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It shouldn't be any surprise. They all buy from the same fabric manufacturers. Alex Kabbaz will, I'm sure, shoot me a profanity-laced PM if I'm wrong about this, but I would imagine that you could order a shirt in the exact same fabric from dozens of shirtmakers.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The cost of carrying inventory can be prohibitive. Unless smaller operations like mine can buy fabric under the table. I didn't see out the back door. I used to make a living off of the leftovers from Ralph when the shirts were made in West Viginia. We can all buy from pretty much the same suppliers. Turnbull has many confined patterns. You can have the most unique fabric woven,as long as you meet the minimums, and the mill will keep that pattern just for you. It doesn't mean that your competitor won't copy this pattern at another mill and knock you off. Carl www.cego.com

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Johnny:  Just wondering, what does your wife think of you studying fabric swatches under a microscope?
She wasn't home at the time. LOL.. If she were, I'm sure I would have gotten a puzzled expression.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Breaking out the measuring tape and poring over suits and shirts should also wait until the missus is away. Take it from me, boys.

dibenetto

Reaction score
fabrics supply in HK is simple:

big names like THOMAS MASON have their catalogs and agents,stocks are available and any yardage is delivered same day directly to the workshop....

big suppliers of cheap 2x2 sourced in india or japan that jantzen and many others use dont sell yardage but rolls of 60 yards. most of the guys i know and use are indians. they supply cotton for factories in china through agents as well,and those shirts end up in the high end retail circuit in America.
jantzen buys those rolls often and in quantity (the BASICS he probably buys by the dozens) CHAN may have stumbled upon the same stuff by mistake and bought a roll for himself.

its a small world guys everybody gets it at the same place. good,serious,reliable suppliers are so rare they attract customers like crazy

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics