• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Janne Melkersson NYC Visit?

brass4321

Active Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Anyone remember when/where Janne will be in NYC? As I recall, it was to be sometime this week. sysdoc's Melkersson shoe pics over on AskAndy were amazing...
 

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
2,455
Reaction score
4
Sadly you missed him. He was here from, I believe the 22nd of February to the 26th. Give or take. I met him on the 25th and he is a gentleman and very easy to work with. Both his work and his willingness - eagerness, really, to make out of the ordinary shoes impressed me. He told me he'd love to return, if, of course, it makes financial sense. When I receive my shoes, I'll be sure to post pictures and a report.

I saw sysdoc's shoes. Great stuff. I believe the best shined shoes were his doing!
 

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
2,455
Reaction score
4
Oh, and also, he is very open with his craft. No pretense. When he finishes making my last he will drape a skin over it and email me the pictures so I can fine-tune the appearance of the last.
 

brass4321

Active Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Bummer - well, if anything good came out of styleforum being down all that time, I guess it would have to be the extra $1000 in my wallet as a result of missing Janne's visit
 

brass4321

Active Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
At least I have my 2 pairs of Vass from my December trip to Budapest - just arrived last week - amazing shoes - and my pair from the EG trunk show should be arriving soon...
 

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
2,455
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by brass4321
Bummer - well, if anything good came out of styleforum being down all that time, I guess it would have to be the extra $1000 in my wallet as a result of missing Janne's visit

Closer to double that.
 

sysdoc

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
283
Reaction score
1
It's actually unreal how much time has passed since I returned from Sweden. I had planned to make a major post about my visit to Janne. Some might remember that the SF HDD crash coincided with this trip and that Janne and I struggled to get onto SF every single day I was there. I only learned of the nightmare that had occured the day when I returned. I deemed AA the wrong platform for my report and then it took forever for SF to get back online. Most of my initial enthusiasm of posting a multi picture thread about my visit to Janne was killed by SF's eternal downtime. I will start preparing something soon, but I don't think that I will post it here. I will post a link though, so it'll feel the same. If I only think of my London Shoe Shopping thread and what happened to it ...
 

Gabor Halmos

Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I had the honor to meet Janne. His knowledge and love of his craft is evident.

Melkersson shoes are absolutely beautiful; in my opinion as good, or better than any English bespoke in quality, for about half the price. I believe Melkersson is also more flexible and responsive than most makers and he is that way because of his passion for his profession, Janne is what I call a true Artisan.

He examined some Vass shoes and we had a chance to exchange thoughts and opinions on the business, we agreed: there is a very little understanding when it comes to handmade shoes from both consumers and professionals and as Janne pointed it out, the biggest difference between a maker who makes machine made or real handmade footwear is the philosophy...

I admired the stunning reindeer hide he showed me, from his native country and some amazing "waxed flesh" from Horween, Chicago.

I wish Janne all the success he deserves and hope he will have a fast recognition in the US.
 

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 4, 2002
Messages
17,930
Reaction score
86
I didn't even know he was coming. Let me get this straight, he does a bespoke shoe for 2k?
 

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
7,899
Reaction score
2,712
Originally Posted by brass4321
At least I have my 2 pairs of Vass from my December trip to Budapest - just arrived last week - amazing shoes - and my pair from the EG trunk show should be arriving soon...

What do Vass shoes cost in Budapest these days?
 

TimelessRider

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2003
Messages
566
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I didn't even know he was coming. Let me get this straight, he does a bespoke shoe for 2k?
Yes.
Originally Posted by Gabor Halmos
Melkersson shoes are absolutely beautiful; in my opinion as good, or better than any English bespoke in quality, for about half the price. I believe Melkersson is also more flexible and responsive than most makers and he is that way because of his passion for his profession, Janne is what I call a true Artisan.
I too appreciated Janne's openness and flexibility regarding his craft and found that an hour and a half with him passed very quickly.
Originally Posted by Gabor Halmos
I admired the stunning reindeer hide he showed me, from his native country and some amazing "waxed flesh" from Horween, Chicago
I have a pair of Norwegian front boots being made in the "waxed flesh" leather and I have high hopes that they'll look amazing.
 

janne melkersson

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
133
Reaction score
25
Gabor, TimelessRider, Whoopee,

Thank you guys for your kind words, it was nice meeting with you all! It is so inspiring to talk about shoes with people that have the knowledge and the interest of the trade as you have.

This was my first trip to New York and I am afraid I did not have time to go touring. Next time I will spend a day or two lurking around in the City. Anybody in for a lunch?

Cheers!
 

TimelessRider

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2003
Messages
566
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by janne melkersson
This was my first trip to New York and I am afraid I did not have time to go touring. Next time I will spend a day or two lurking around in the City. Anybody in for a lunch?

Cheers!

It would be a pleasure to join you for lunch if you're ever in the city. Keep us posted of your plans.
 

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
2,455
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by TimelessRider
It would be a pleasure to join you for lunch if you're ever in the city. Keep us posted of your plans.

Seconded.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

  • My style hasn't changed at all.

  • My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

  • I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

  • I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

  • I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
445,085
Messages
9,620,635
Members
201,093
Latest member
oxyphenketoxr
Top