• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Jan Libourel posts here??

MaximRecoil

Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2008
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I grew up reading his articles in Guns & Ammo and Handguns magazine. He was my favorite gunwriter; well, him and Ross Seyfried. He had a good writing style and a lot of common sense. Some of the writers of the time irritated me (not going to mention names); others I was indifferent toward, but there were a few that I always enjoyed reading, mainly Jan Libourel, Ross Seyfried, and Jeff Cooper.

He also answered a gun question I sent in to Gun & Ammo in his Q&A column he used to do. It was quite exciting as a kid to see my letter published and answered in a national gun magazine, considering they must get hundreds of letters every month and can only answer a handful of them. I wish I still had that magazine. It was in 1991 I think (I was 16) and if I remember right, there was a picture of a two-tone Browning Hi-Power on the cover (silver-colored frame and blued slide).

So, if Jan reads this, I have a few questions:

I haven't read a gun magazine in years; are you still a gun writer? If so, what magazine(s) do you write for?

Do you still have your well-worn 1960s Colt Government Model that was customized by King's Gun Works with S&W revolver sights, lowered ejection port, stippled front strap, etc.?

How about the Norinco 1911-type gun that was also worked on by King's in the early '90s, and had an NP3 finish?

Do you post on any gun-related internet forums?

Any thoughts on the recent Supreme Court decision on the Heller case?
 

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
18,839
Reaction score
576
Jan Libourel is the Man.
 

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 4, 2002
Messages
17,930
Reaction score
86
Originally Posted by MaximRecoil
I grew up reading his articles in Guns & Ammo and Handguns magazine. He was my favorite gunwriter; well, him and Ross Seyfried. He had a good writing style and a lot of common sense. Some of the writers of the time irritated me (not going to mention names); others I was indifferent toward, but there were a few that I always enjoyed reading, mainly Jan Libourel, Ross Seyfried, and Jeff Cooper.

He also answered a gun question I sent in to Gun & Ammo in his Q&A column he used to do. It was quite exciting as a kid to see my letter published and answered in a national gun magazine, considering they must get hundreds of letters every month and can only answer a handful of them. I wish I still had that magazine. It was in 1991 I think (I was 16) and if I remember right, there was a picture of a two-tone Browning Hi-Power on the cover (silver-colored frame and blued slide).

So, if Jan reads this, I have a few questions:

I haven't read a gun magazine in years; are you still a gun writer? If so, what magazine(s) do you write for?

Do you still have your well-worn 1960s Colt Government Model that was customized by King's Gun Works with S&W revolver sights, lowered ejection port, stippled front strap, etc.?

How about the Norinco 1911-type gun that was also worked on by King's in the early '90s, and had an NP3 finish?

Do you post on any gun-related internet forums?

Any thoughts on the recent Supreme Court decision on the Heller case?


Are we not good enough for you? Just think, you can learn about decorating, pretty shoes, and once you get to 100 posts, the world!
 

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
10,877
Reaction score
55
You forgot to ask Jan about his spectators.
 

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 20, 2002
Messages
41,583
Reaction score
2,865
Originally Posted by grimslade
You forgot to ask Jan about his spectators.

So many things one can ask Jan about. Classical literature. 70s porno chic. The backdoor. Dog breeds.
 

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
18,839
Reaction score
576
Originally Posted by MaximRecoil
Do you post on any gun-related internet forums?
I believe he used to post on AKAC.
 

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
10,877
Reaction score
55
Originally Posted by Manton
So many things one can ask Jan about. Classical literature. 70s porno chic. The backdoor. Dog breeds.

Yes, but of all of those, the spectators are the only thing of which I desire photographic evidence.
 

ms244

Senior Member
Joined
May 25, 2006
Messages
798
Reaction score
1
How did you come up with MaximRecoil as your user name?
 

MaximRecoil

Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2008
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Are we not good enough for you? Just think, you can learn about decorating, pretty shoes, and once you get to 100 posts, the world!

Well, I know about shoes, more than I'd like to actually. I worked in two different shoe factories when I got out of high school, totaling 5 years. Decorating is certainly out of my league however.

Originally Posted by RJman
I believe he used to post on AKAC.

I'm not familiar with "AKAC".

Originally Posted by ms244
How did you come up with MaximRecoil as your user name?
I've used this name on pretty much all forums since about 2002. It is a tribute to Hiram Maxim, who invented the Recoil-operated machine gun. He was from my father's hometown.
 

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2004
Messages
8,771
Reaction score
479
Originally Posted by MaximRecoil
I grew up reading his articles in Guns & Ammo and Handguns magazine. He was my favorite gunwriter; well, him and Ross Seyfried. He had a good writing style and a lot of common sense. Some of the writers of the time irritated me (not going to mention names); others I was indifferent toward, but there were a few that I always enjoyed reading, mainly Jan Libourel, Ross Seyfried, and Jeff Cooper.

He also answered a gun question I sent in to Gun & Ammo in his Q&A column he used to do. It was quite exciting as a kid to see my letter published and answered in a national gun magazine, considering they must get hundreds of letters every month and can only answer a handful of them. I wish I still had that magazine. It was in 1991 I think (I was 16) and if I remember right, there was a picture of a two-tone Browning Hi-Power on the cover (silver-colored frame and blued slide).


Thank you, Maxim, for your kind and appreciative comments. Yes, I do post regularly in this forum.

So, if Jan reads this, I have a few questions:

I haven't read a gun magazine in years; are you still a gun writer? If so, what magazine(s) do you write for?
Since February 17, 1999, I have been the editor of Gun World magazine based in Orange, California. This was Jack Lewis' old magazine as you may recall. Jack sold the magazine at the end of 1996, and it was sold again in August, 2005. Jack still writes for the magazine. I don't write for the magazine quite as much as formerly because of the difficulty of getting test guns because of the restrictive California laws and the closure of ranges.

Do you still have your well-worn 1960s Colt Government Model that was customized by King's Gun Works with S&W revolver sights, lowered ejection port, stippled front strap, etc.?

How about the Norinco 1911-type gun that was also worked on by King's in the early '90s, and had an NP3 finish?
I still have and cherish both pistols. When I get a gun I really like, it stays with me.

Do you post on any gun-related internet forums?
No. I feel immersed enough in gun topics throughout the working day.

Any thoughts on the recent Supreme Court decision on the Heller case?
I am taking a wait-and-see attitude until the practical ramifications of the decision become more clear. It certainly is a Good Thing, though!
 

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
4,666
Reaction score
24
Originally Posted by MaximRecoil
I'm not familiar with "AKAC".
Ask Andy About Cothes (AAAC) is another major clothing-related forum. Given the prominence of a certain moderator there, Kabbatz, some may jokingly call it Ask Kabbatz About Clothes (AKAC).

The people posting there (there is, or used to be, a big overlap between SF and AAAC crowds) are more conservative than here, you can see it quite clearly if you just read the sub-forum devoted to politics there (the "Interchange"). Hence RJman's joke that AAAC is a "gun-related forum".
 

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 20, 2002
Messages
41,583
Reaction score
2,865
^^^ It's "Kabbaz," no "t".
 

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2004
Messages
8,771
Reaction score
479
Originally Posted by Étienne
Ask Andy About Cothes (AAAC) is another major clothing-related forum. Given the prominence of a certain moderator there, Kabbatz, some may jokingly call it Ask Kabbatz About Clothes (AKAC).

It is also often called "Ask Cruiser About Clothes" after one of their posters who established himself as that forum's foremost arbiter elegantiae. By sheer force of personality, he did much to purge that forum of the hateful snobbery formerly regnant there and set it on its present, more egalitarian course, emphasizing clothes more accessible to the average guy like T-shirts, jeans and J.C. Penney suits.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

  • JW Anderson x Uniqlo

  • Nigo x Virgil Abloh

  • Converse x Midnight Studios

  • Rick Owens x Champion

  • Barbour x Engineered Garments

  • Adidas x Bed JW Ford

  • Jordan Brand x Dior

  • Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

  • Lego x Levi's


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
446,749
Messages
9,662,800
Members
201,909
Latest member
ezpewut
Top