• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jamon Iberico

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheIdler
I'm not going to go so far as to say that jamon iberico is the reason I moved to Spain, but it's pretty high on the list. I now get to indulge my vice about 3-4 times a week. It is absurd how expensive it can get, although it's obviously a lot cheaper here than in the States.

A standard, but still awesome, way to enjoy it is with thick-cut bread that's grilled/toasted over an open fire. Rub it with a clove of garlic. then cut a tomato in half and rub that on there. Drizzle some olive oil on, maybe a little coarse salt, and then eat it with your ham. Sooo good.

I knew a german who had moved to spain to be with his girlfriend, also german, who had moved to study hammaking for a multiple year study program/internship.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
The highest grade if my memory serves me is balotta. They're free range and acorn fed.

drool.gif
this may have been the greatest thing ive ever consumed in my life (i am small-timer). i only had it once while sherry tasting in jerez.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
drool.gif
this may have been the greatest thing ive ever consumed in my life (i am small-timer). i only had it once while sherry tasting in jerez.

I don't think you need to be such a big timer to try it. In southern spanish cities like Malaga I'd get a plate of the stuff for 15 euro. Granted, balotta is more expensive but you can get top notch iberico for not that much money.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^IIRC, good serrano was 15E, iberico 18-20E, ballota 25E+ per plate. but this was close to 3 years ago. but yeah most of the time i ate serrano, which was more than good enough for me. i spent most of my time in southern spain in andalucia, so more seafood than jamon. most of the jamon i had was in madrid.

btw, i had the most ridiculous arroz a la mer, which im guessing is just seafood paella. good god, that was one of the greatest yet simplest meals ive ever had. and on the beach of cadiz.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
^IIRC, good serrano was 15E, iberico 18-20E, ballota 25E+ per plate. but this was close to 3 years ago. but yeah most of the time i ate serrano, which was more than good enough for me. i spent most of my time in southern spain in andalucia, so more seafood than jamon. most of the jamon i had was in madrid.

btw, i had the most ridiculous arroz a la mer, which im guessing is just seafood paella. good god, that was one of the greatest yet simplest meals ive ever had. and on the beach of cadiz.

Madrid is going to be more expensive than Malaga... Granted in Marbeilla everything was more expensive but Malaga isn't the most upscale city so seeing decent iberico for 15 or less wasn't uncommon.

OxWing

Reaction score
I ate a looooot of ham when I lived in Seville. The standard way to eat it there is with bread and a little olive oil. I don't see the need to do anything fancy to it.

Also, I believe Jabugo is the ultimate ham. I looked into getting a leg shipped over to the States, but the price was around $1k, and I'm not baller enough to drop a grand on ham.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the iberico last night. The "medium" grade stuff, which is iberico from the shoulder. The "best" is the bellota which is the hindleg cut.

Heavenly is how I'd describe it. At room temperature the fat has some melting, and it certainly will melt in your mouth. Not overly salty like the proscuitto.

4 oz was actually a good amount for my wife and I.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I had the iberico last night. The "medium" grade stuff, which is iberico from the shoulder. The "best" is the bellota which is the hindleg cut.

Heavenly is how I'd describe it. At room temperature the fat has some melting, and it certainly will melt in your mouth. Not overly salty like the proscuitto.

4 oz was actually a good amount for my wife and I.

I'm guessing it was imported? If so, how did it compare with what you experienced in spain?

And I know exactly what you're talking about when the meat starts to "sweat". I don't eat it with anything else. It truly is one of the most fantastic things in the world to eat.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry, never been to spain.

got the idea to try the jamon from watching the food channel, seeing Andrew Zimmerman at the Jamon museum, then doing some research and finding that only starting last year did the US FDA allow Jamon to be imported.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they have Jamon Iberrico Bellota @ the Bristol Farms down the street from me. $99.99 a pound or so.

I might buy a 1/4 pound sometime soon, maybe take some to Oregon for Christmas dinner.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh yeah, the Costco near me had it in their deli tray (Marina del rey costco). I think it was $30 for a 1/4 lb.

7bellotas

Reaction score
Hy there,
Soon you will be able to buy best jamon iberico straight from Spain, now at www.7bellotas.com
New 7 Bellotas shop in San Francisco California, estimate time of open March 2011

7bellotas

Reaction score
Hy there, Soon you will be able to buy best jamon iberico de Bellota 7 Bellotas Â
00ae.png
Original straight from Spain, now at www.7bellotas.com New 7 Bellotas shop in San Francisco California, estimate time of open March 2011

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads