• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

James Dean Sweater

nsimp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
carpe diem

Anyway, as a huge fan of James Dean, I have never understood peoples fascination with this sweater - I actually don't really like it at all.

Catalyst

Reaction score
Glad everyone's having a laugh at my expense.

I searched the forum, because I thought this would be a commonly asked question, but there's nothing about it. Just looking for someone to point me in the right direction.

nsimp, there's something about it that is classic, manly yet modern. And I need a damn sweater, I'm heading up north for christmas(I'm in FL) and my winter wardrobe is lacking to say the least. I like your avatar, btw

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nsimp

Anyway, as a huge fan of James Dean, I have never understood peoples fascination with this sweater - I actually don't really like it at all.

I think it's just people thinking if they where the same thing, they'll then magically look as good/be as cool. Same goes with guys like steve mcqueen, paul newman, etc. I bought a baracuta jacket 5 years ago because I saw this picture book with mcqueen wearing one and he looked badass. I ended up looking like a dad.

nsimp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wannabeagiant
I think it's just people thinking if they where the same thing, they'll then magically look as good/be as cool. Same goes with guys like steve mcqueen, paul newman, etc. I bought a baracuta jacket 5 years ago because I saw this picture book with mcqueen wearing one and he looked badass. I ended up looking like a dad.

Hah! I actually did the same with McQueen. That was a few years ago though when I was 16. Since then, I've found my own "style" and stopped trying to copy my idols.

aizan

Reaction score
it's a wool roll neck sweater, popular with seafaring folk. i'm guessing his was from the usn.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 14 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 67 17.6%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 126 33.2%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 64 16.8%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 26 6.8%