1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

James Bond Trailer SKYFALL- Tom Ford wardrobe

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GusW, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Viral

Viral Senior member

well, I only said that because he's performing stunts and being very active and the suits accomidate for that all while still looking good. If they were truly "too tight" they would rip and become damaged while doing all the active/stunt things.

and yes, those are some amazing suits :D

2. js4design

js4design Senior member

Nope, CR had a peak lapel, QofS was shawl.

Clearest picture I could find.

[​IMG]

3. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

They have dozens of suits made for these movies - the suits in the action shots / worn by stuntmen are a few sizes bigger to accomodate movement. The silhouette in other scences that you, and others, have salivated over is that one I consider to be too tight.

4. gumercindo

gumercindo Senior member

I think the suit looks nice, but it was tight. You can tell from the shots where he is buttoned up and the sportscoat is cinching. That means it's too tight.

Don't get me wrong, I think he looks great in the suit, but it is a very form fitting suit. I wonder how comfortable that was for him.

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

think books, not movies

2 people like this.
  6. suitedcboy

suitedcboy Senior member

That observation is why I think it looked too tight. Physique conforming and puckering with any movement aren't the same thing IMHO.

7. UncleCozy

UncleCozy Senior member

It's too tight, but she was going for the "2012-look" so I guess it's very much intended (still bonkers). Aside from chest/back, the seat needs to be wider, see the Mercedes Gelenderwagen/Motorbikes/Guns-scene. Trousers also seem quite short in some shots, might be unintended though (sail boat e.g.).

His physique is also more barrel-shaped than V-shaped, so it's really not the perfect body for a suit* (still a good body, lats are probably enhancing the V-shape a bit but wide hips are there to stay).

*Edit: a contemporary fitted suit. This is why Bond looks better in a classically cut suit rather than a 2012-styled B-Rep/J.Crew-slimididdly-dim suit.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  8. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

Wide hips? Are you crazy? He has a 30 inch waist and a 42 inch chest, apparently. I know waist =/= hips; but nonetheless he doesn't have wide hips.

Anyway, these suits are a little tight, but I don't know if its possible to tailor a suit that isn't tight on a back his shape. If his back was loosened up there'd simply be loose fabric all over the place, because a muscular back like that has deep ridges, and thus isn't near-flat like a normal back. It might actually require a lot of padding everywhere to make things look 'normal' and smooth. And, of course, TF suits have hardly any padding, and are often in wafer-thin fabrics.

Also, I'd prefer wider lapels, especially for his build and the character's personality.

9. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

I think Bond should go for early 80s Armani; he'll flap around like a flag on a windy day.

10. UncleCozy

UncleCozy Senior member

Wide was perhaps not the correct term, but visually in relation to his chest/shoulders, it's pretty wide. Chest measurements are mainly more impacted by depth, which makes a big chest-2-waist ratio it not visible head on -, you want wide lats and naturally wide shoulders for the V-taper (combined with a small hip/waist, else you'll look seriously big and have trouble fitting into suits - think Arnold).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Given, the third is probably during bulking/off-season, but still.

11. Needsmoreshoes

Needsmoreshoes Senior member

This has been driving me crazy since I joined - What is B&S? - Please put me out of my misery

12. stevent

stevent Senior member

buying & selling

13. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

I believe that some SF members would be able to much better design this Bond's costumes to make him look much better in the films.
    The lady has a nice theme & some good ideas,I guess. But really, she's actually very lacking. I'd have chosen someone better to do this or just let Tom Ford handle it himself.

14. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with much of what you've said (but I'll defend do the death your right to say it). You think Arnold had wide hips/waist, too?
    [​IMG]

15. UncleCozy

UncleCozy Senior member

[​IMG]

No, I meant to say that big lats plus pecs (or more generally - a large, muscular body) make for hardships in cutting even a bespoke suit, let alone fitting into a RTW/MTM-suit.

16. doughboysc

doughboysc Senior member

Arnold in his glory days!

17. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

Any more news about the film?

18. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

19. Lear

Lear Senior member

20. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I'm still too poor to go the bespoke route, but I can certainly attest that big lats and big pecs makes for extreme hardships in finding a suit to fit me.