• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James Bond 23: 2010

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I frankly don't know how they're going to top Craig. He's awesome as Bond. I really hope he does 23 and I hope it doesn't get put off for too long.

Originally Posted by JoyDiffusion
^^Agreed. MGM needs to get their **** together. It would be a shame if Craig doesn't get to do at least 2 more films simply because of a bad economy and poor management at the studio.

+1

Originally Posted by holymadness
He is in great shape and does action scenes well. He's got the thuggish aspect of Bond down pat. As a result of his physique he also looks great in a suit. However, he lacks all charm, humour, and class. Consider the scene where he "seduces" the redhead in QoS: "Would you mind coming in here a moment, I think I've lost my pen." Are you ******* serious?

-1. And I quite like how he woos the one guy's wife in CR (the fancy bit with the car) showing charm and humor, then as he is forced to depart before any extracurriculars, he orders her a bottle of champagne and caviar (class).

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Craig is the Qi-Gon Jin of Bonds. He delivers his lines with all the personality of a rock.

He is in great shape and does action scenes well. He's got the thuggish aspect of Bond down pat. As a result of his physique he also looks great in a suit. However, he lacks all charm, humour, and class. Consider the scene where he "seduces" the redhead in QoS: "Would you mind coming in here a moment, I think I've lost my pen." Are you ******* serious? This is the best line that the world's best-known ladykiller could come up with? And delivered as if he were a smirking 5-year-old trying to pull a prank? And it works? Just one example of mediocrity among many, and a highlight of the way he adds little to nothing to an already flat character.

I find him perfectly serviceable, but to consider him unbeatable is kind of a joke.

It seems to me that the deficiencies in the QoS script weren't Craig's fault.

Personally, the most cringe-worthy moment in the last two films was when Eva Green gave him the Brioni tux. That was product placement gone mad imo. He had a bespoke DJ and he's supposed to give it up for something she sized him for by eye, without any adjustments at all?
facepalm.gif

Duff_Man

Reaction score
Personally, the most cringe-worthy moment in the last two films was when Eva Green gave him the Brioni tux. That was product placement gone mad imo.

Are we forgetting the Ford Mondeo?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
nope to both, that cell phone product placement in CR was the worst. Especially when he was using it as a GPS. Unfortunately, the GPS showed him traveling at an incredible rate of speed around corners and apparently handling good sized turns without ever moving the steering wheel in either direction.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
nope to both, that cell phone product placement in CR was the worst. Especially when he was using it as a GPS. Unfortunately, the GPS showed him traveling at an incredible rate of speed around corners and apparently handling good sized turns without ever moving the steering wheel in either direction.

That Sony Ericsson plug was pretty funny.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Bond films have ALWAYS been about product placement going back to Connery. People have written advertizing treatises on 007 really kicking ads in movies into a real part of the biz.

So... i don't care. What should they do? Create fake brands? It doesn't distract from the movie... It's crap that the MGM issue is getting in the way.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The product placement can't be as bad as Omegas in CR, even managed to slap Rolex in the process.
At least I learned the proper way to say Omega, Oh-MEE-gah.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I would just like to put Sam Rockwell's name out there for the new Bond. A bit quirky, perhaps, but still able to put forth some devilish charm and a hint of cock-eyed menace.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
(...) Consider the scene where he "seduces" the redhead in QoS: "Would you mind coming in here a moment, I think I've lost my pen." Are you ******* serious? This is the best line that the world's best-known ladykiller could come up with? And delivered as if he were a smirking 5-year-old trying to pull a prank? And it works? Just one example of mediocrity among many, and a highlight of the way he adds little to nothing to an already flat character.

(...).

I thought it was a standard-issue come-on, at least from the number of times I've heard it in Appreciation flicks.

rvan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I would just like to put Sam Rockwell's name out there for the new Bond. A bit quirky, perhaps, but still able to put forth some devilish charm and a hint of cock-eyed menace.

He's already 41, almost too old for the role if he were to do more than one film. 00's were forced into mandatory retirement at age 45 in the novels. Also he's American.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
no they will choose shia labeouf as the next bond, they seem to love that guy
facepalm.gif

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. Doesnt even dignify a third letter.
Originally Posted by RFX45
The product placement can't be as bad as Omegas in CR, even managed to slap Rolex in the process.
At least I learned the proper way to say Omega, Oh-MEE-gah.

I thought that was the most tasteless. Part of the product placement bit is that they seem to want him to be in that upper end, and those people name drop. But watch the old films, they are just as bad. and +1 to the pronunciation.

Originally Posted by Wrigglez
no they will choose shia labeouf as the next bond, they seem to love that guy
facepalm.gif

He's too small. Like tom cruise small.

Originally Posted by BP348
I hate all these 3-D movies.

Just go back to normal movies where you don't have to have some stupid set of glasses in order to watch.

+1 except for Appreciation.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8635409.stm

Worthington tipped as next bond if it's delayed too long and Craig can't do it. It's pure rumour obviously, but still..

They said the same thing in Details. Then again, the BBC probably pulled the story after reading it there.

Craig doesn't have a lot of charisma as Bond either.

I would offer the part to Russell Crowe, who would be capable of imparting an interesting emotional dimension to the character (see: The Insider, A Beautiful Mind) without sacrificing the tough guy aspect (Gladiator, LA Confidential). I think he's about 30lb. overweight these days, though, and a huge pain ********** to work with.
confused.gif

Bond was never supposed to have a ton of charisma. After reading most of the books I feel like craig is way more spot on, even more so that the earlier connery films.

Russel Crowe would make the worst bond. EVER. Does he even wear a suit in any movie he does??

z7f9q

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Daniel Craig as bond. I certainly think he's better than Worthington, and with Craig as bond we've had two much-improved movies over previous efforts.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
Bond was never supposed to have a ton of charisma. After reading most of the books I feel like craig is way more spot on, even more so that the earlier connery films.

Russel Crowe would make the worst bond. EVER. Does he even wear a suit in any movie he does??

Movie Bond has moved significantly away from Book Bond. I prefer the charming witticisms and sly innuendo of Connery and Brosnan to the hard-boiled Bond of the novels who reminds me more of a Raymond Chandler anti-hero than the world's most suave secret agent. I don't feel like the Bond franchise needs to be turned into a Bourne spinoff.

Crowe wore suits in The Insider, A Beautiful Mind, LA Confidential and A Good Year. He doesn't have much elegance, I agree, but he's the only action star working who can actually act.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
Russell Crowe's done too many movies and we know him too well.
Possibly true.

Originally Posted by gomestar
-1. And I quite like how he woos the one guy's wife in CR (the fancy bit with the car) showing charm and humor, then as he is forced to depart before any extracurriculars, he orders her a bottle of champagne and caviar (class).
I wasn't that impressed. It's a lame joke to go once around the roundabout and come back (whereas previous Bonds demonstrated their wit with language), and he practically barks the orders for the most clichÃ
00a9.png
d items on the menu in a totally emotionless voice.

For comparison, rewatch Goldfinger. The scene where he surprises the girl on the balcony helping Goldfinger cheat at cards is a great example of Bond-esque seduction, and the gentle way he touches her shoulder after finding her dead the next morning shows all the class in the world.

It seems to me that the deficiencies in the QoS script weren't Craig's fault.
True but I don't believe he brings much to the character either.

I thought it was a standard-issue come-on, at least from the number of times I've heard it in Appreciation flicks.

Ah yes, and when she bends over you stick it in the pooper.
teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads