Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Jake Agave

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by demeis, May 11, 2005.

1. demeis

demeis Senior member

Ran into these and was wondering what the quality is like and how their products stack up.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

We've been through this one. Check past threads. Generally decent, well constructed jeans. Not particularly adventurous. The washes are clean but not hipster dark, nor fashionista distressed (se Dolce & Gabbana). Put it this way. They sell them at Nordstroms in the sportswear section, to be worn with Tommy Bahama and Nat Nast shirts. Having said that, there are some cuts, in particular the Drifter and the Cowboy, which are a little younger in style.

3. Mrgimme

Mrgimme New Member

I LOVE Jake Agave! They are doing denim as art in their washes! Highly recommend the cowboy in the winchester wash... They are buttery and AWESOME! Jake can be hard to find... If anyone knows where to get them cheap please share. Also the shirts are made of SUPIMA! With mineral dyes. My favorite clothes Hands DOWN![​IMG]

4. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I read about them and they sounded great. But after owning early LVC and later premium Japanese denim, I wasn't impressed. The ones I saw at Nordstrom about a year ago were very faded, very loose and lightweight. So, three strikes in my book.

5. Mrgimme

Mrgimme New Member

Pocketsquare Guy could you be more specific about LVC? I have never heard of them but I do know that Agave Denimsmith (dropped Jake) will also use Japanese Denim in some of their jeans. I know you three striked them based on what you saw but I have over 10 pairs and I can tell you that blown out thin is maybe only one pair. I would like to wager that Agave has more washes AND Denim types than most other makers and do not OVER distress. I am on the older end of the market I wear Nat Nast and Tommy B. shirts but I refuse to pay top dollar to look like I just crawled out of an overpass. That does not mean they aren't processed; just not as much.

Again I am representing the over 40 crowd YMMV, and all you 25+ guys will be here soon enough!

I am just glad to know I bought such a high quality product that I will be buried in Agave clothes!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

Man how do these people even find this web site.

I've seen a few pairs of Agaves, they seem like jeans for wealthy baby boomers. All prefaded in an unobtrusive way, as bland as possible. To repeat Warhol, it baffles me that someone would try them on and say "this looks great, I love it, I'll buy it".

7. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters OG Affiliate Vendor

Hey, different strokes for different folks, at least that's what they(baby boomers) said when we forged the denim revolution. Say, 40 years ago. And by the the number of your posts, I think I've been here a bit longer and I found this site because I was interested in learning and evolving, not bashing someones style.
    As for the brand, Jeff Shaffer, the man behind Agave, started his business on his living room floor, cutting and sewing himself. His brand has evolved to be one of the largest denim brands in the world and has recently added Silver and Gold as two collections that appeal to a younger market. We have carried the model Waterman since we opened, which is his most popular model in both distressed and raw denim. Yes, it's full cut but so are most of our customers. Most of his offerings are made from Peruvian Pima Cotton. However, his new offerings are made from Japanese Selvedge of all types. All with button flys.
    Yes, I'm old. I poured myself into skinny jeans before you were even a thought but I prefer these days, a comfortable place for Mr. Johnson.

I've seen a few pairs of Agaves, they seem like jeans for wealthy baby boomers. All prefaded in an unobtrusive way, as bland as possible. To repeat Warhol, it baffles me that someone would try them on and say "this looks great, I love it, I'll buy it".

8. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Pocketsquare Guy could you be more specific about LVC? I have never heard of them

LVC = Levi's Vintage Clothing. My personal favorite. Specializing in reproductions of "old" Levi's denim. Check out The Official LVC Thread.

+1

Hey, different strokes for different folks

Agreed despite thoroughly enjoying Makeshift Robot's comment. Too often forgotten/neglected around here.