• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jaguar most likely for sale…who do you think might buy it?

JEdge

Reaction score
From what i understand (or what CNBC told me) "most likely for sale" is a bit dramatic, although i could be wrong.

In the segment they were discussing Korean automakers looking to buy the prestigeous nameplate. I think it would generally be a good fit. It seems Hyundai is more organized and focused than Ford is (at least in the US) and i assume it is only a matter of time before the Koreans throw a luxury brand into their portfolio. Acquiring Jaguar would be a lot easier than starting from scratch. Only lately has Lexus been able to hang with the luxury manufacturers from German (i think the Lexus debut was in the early 90's).

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I think Jag would be a good fit for VW AG, just look at how well Bentley and Lamborghini are doing. Jon.
I agree. I also think that there would be a huge cultural clash if a Korean or a Chinese firm buys Jag. First, the luxury buyers will associate Jag with the inferior quality of a Korean or Chinese firm. Second, the cultural integration would be next to impossible. So, I don't think that's a good business strategy. On the other hand, Jag's customer profile doesn't directly clash with any brand VW AG owns (perhaps slightly with Audi, but not huge). Another candidate might be the Renault-Nissan consortium. They've shown themselves to be able to handle and grow two fairly distintive brands without much problems, so perhaps a similar arrangement with Jag won't be too difficult. Lastly, maybe a private equity consortium of sort will buy Jag and flip it in a few years. The brand can certainly use some straightening up. No pain, no gain, as they say.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to.

Obviously, I'm not going to, but I'd like to.

mussel

Reaction score
Probably another Chinese auto maker.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Lvmh.

They'll just start making products with the Jag logo all over them, a la Louis Vuitton style.

chrysalid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
They'll just start making products with the Jag logo all over them, a la Louis Vuitton style.

accessories_7C0B11E3-DF19-4768-97D6.jpg

and i believe that's a white zinfandel from the brothers gallo, mmmmm, delicious.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen some very mediocre-looking Jaguar merchandise.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
I've seen some very mediocre-looking Jaguar merchandise.

I've seen some very mediocre Jaguar automobiles.

Their desirability has gone way, way down. They are straight up mediocre luxury. There are more luxurious (MB/Lexus/BMW), optioned+gadgety (Lexus/BMW), sporty (BMW/Audi), younger+cool (Audi/BMW/Infinity), and practical+reliable (Lexus/Acura) cars out there. Where does Jaguar even fit anymore? They've lost their identity.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrysalid
british leyland
LOL! We could have a retro Jag styled on these Leylands (those old lorries are practically indestructible)!
advert-leyland.JPG
P.s. the Jaguar Monde...err X-Type is also very mediocre (I drove one for a few miles back home). Very smooth shifting but so-so as an all-around package.

UMass

Reaction score
I have always viewed Jaguar as brand that lives in the past. They have nothing new or cutting edge to offer. I also do not view Jaguar as a premium brand. Ford purchased Jaguar and thought they could just live off the brand without offering anything new.
Whomever purchases Jaguar they need to revitalize and bring in new customers to the brand. The Chinese can not do that, they do not know how. Maybe VW can if they have the capitol.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads