• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jag S-type or other used sedan, thoughts?

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking of getting a circa 2004 Jag S-type, probably 3.0 instead of V8.

Drove the S-type and the X-type today, and vastly preferred the smoothness of the S's drivetrain (strong drivetrain lash from X-type, AWD) and the general overall feel. Cabin is first-rate. Made me feel all good inside.

Any other used sedans in the 20-25 range, 2-3 years old? (I have a Passat, so not interested in an A4). BWM 330 a bit too expensive.

This would NOT be a daily driver, instead a third car, so it could be AWD, FWD, RWD, big/small, whatever.

mussel

Reaction score
Have you checked into Jag's reliability and resale value. For a pre-owned luxury vehicle you can't beat Lexus in terms of reliability and resale value, you should look into the ES or GS series. My friend's LS with 170,000 miles, which he passed on to his son 70,000 miles ago, still going strong, no major repair whatsoever, just routine oil change, tune up, brake pad replacement...

Lamo

Reaction score
Get the ES if you need a new yacht

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard good things about Jag's reliability post-ford, resale value still isn't great.

To be honest I could care less about reliability, I know what I'm getting with a Jag, if it breaks down, well it's half expected, but part of the deal.
Still, I wouldn't use one as my only car.

The expense of owning older jags is a bit overblown too, they have more problems, but it's as expensive as made out to fix, and like all cars, you can save hundreds and do 90% of the work yourself.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1980s-90s Bentley or Roller!

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the only true Jag stylistically is the top model car, whatever it is called XJS or something like that. All cheaper ones look like rebadged Lincolns. Those hideous chrome accents on plastic bumpers scream: "Rental car".
I vote for older Lexus too.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I think the only true Jag stylistically is the top model car, whatever it is called XJS or something like that. All cheaper ones look like rebadged Lincolns. Those hideous chrome accents on plastic bumpers scream: "Rental car".

I kind of agree. I actually prefer the X-type over the S. It has AWD and isn't trying too hard to be a MKII, something it will never be....

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz

There is a sense, among Jaguar aficionados and various other car people, that the X- and S-Types are not 'true' Jags, that they don't embody the heritage of the marque. This is especially true of the X-types. Whether anyone else knows or cares I don't know. Probably not. The current topend Jags are the XJ8 and XJR sedans, and the GT sports cars are the XK and XKR (having just followed the XK8 series). The XJS, on the other hand, is a GT sportscar discontinued in '96 (I believe) and was the predecessor of the XK8.

Regardless, I prefer the S- over the X-type, and generally prefer the S- to other cars in that class (but I'm biased in the sense that Audis, BMWs, and MBs, with limited exceptions, hold no interest for me).

Regards,
Huntsman

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Phlog_Jaguar_Mark_II_KICX75.jpg

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mk II, eh? Classic.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a Lexus fan: not really looking for a super reliable car, or something that everyone else is driving.

Re: the Jag's reliability: the ones I'm looking at come with a 6-year, 100,000 warranty so that's not a problem.

Drove a new 2006 328 coupe - fun but not a not of grunt. I'd rather find a used 330 but not many out there.
Also a 2007 MB 230 - really like the interior, not a fan of the 7-speed auto, and on the slow side. (has to be an auto as the family will be driving it).

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Phlog_Jaguar_Mark_II_KICX75.jpg

I think the S-type does a nice job of evoking that image (that's why I like them)

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr. Republic,

Might I suggest Infiniti? Some of their models are quite nice. Perhaps it's still too common for your purposes?

It's unfortunate that it needs to be an automatic or I would suggest the Lancer Evolution.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads