• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

swf999

Reaction score
I think one major difference is that CH don’t sell via their website.

Also my impression is that CH specialize more in wire frame style although I’m sure they do acetate too. Are they usually 10mm chunky acetate that we love about JMM?

I’ll also add for wire framed styles I have a pair of Leisure Society in titanium that I love!
Not every JMM is cut from 10mm block of acetate.

For e.g
Schindler, Eva are cut from 8mm block. Cleveland is cut from 7mm block. Savoy doesn't even mention the thickness of the block.

Secondly, JMM does not mention what block thickness the temples are cut from. JMM uses XXmm as more of a broader term to market to common people without getting much into specificity. Also Jerome had said, there are select few frames still made in Italy by JMM depending on the style of the frame.

So, it could be that the frame part is cut from 7-10 mm block and the temples from 6mm block thickness. It is not uncommon for manufactures to do this distinction because the frame part needs to hold prescription glasses and temples need to have metal core inserted to add increased strength and some flexibility to adjust around ears.

Basic idea is - a single block provides more tensile strength. That applies to any physical structure such as Tripod base heads, Macbook aluminium body, etc.

Not to get confused with thickness of the frames. That is completely different. You could have a thinner thickness frame cut still from 10mm block of acetate. Ichikawa is cut from 10mm block but the frame thickness is only 5mm and on top ridge there is smaller portion which has 8mm thickness.

There isn't much significant difference in terms of inferiority for thickness between 6mm-10mm as long as they are cut from a single block of acetate rather than infusion technique where they inject into a mold of certain shapes.

There are few other Japanese brands which make extremely high quality frames e.g True Vintage Revival - Cut from 8mm block for front, 6mm for temples & 14K Gold Plating metal core, 7 barrel hinge. They don't have marketing like JMM does.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A great fit on the Cash, from Facebook.

Screenshot (481).png

Last edited:

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chrome Hearts and JMM are literally the same (interchangeable and most people wont know the difference) except the minor differences of crosses and swords/daggers instead of hammers lol. When i saw the price of the Cash i thought to myself why order these online i can get Chrome Hearts. Both have good customer service, Chrome hearts sent me a brand new pair of glasses when a nose pad broke off. Only thing i might add is the Resale value of JMM might hold up better because there is a fan boy group that drives up the prices

even the shapes are very similar, and interchangable. like if you missed out on the Enzos you could get the Box Officer (Chrome hearts) and call it a day.

Wouldnt be surprised if they share the same manufacturer in japan like most cheaper brands do with luxottica and they just change the little logos and embellishments here and there. but now they are at the same price point it really makes no difference

Frankly, don't see any consistent resemblance between the two brands. JMM offers mostly classic, history anchored frames, CH is more oriented towards a rocker/punker aesthetics.

Coach Chris

Reaction score
Does anyone have the Dealan George Cortina’s or seen them on face?
New to the thread and I’m looking to get my first pair and those have been grabbing my attention.
Honestly, they’re all so damn sexy I’m sure no matter what I get I’ll love, but you gotta make the first ones a little special

Roctopuss

Reaction score
For those interested in the difference between Ashcrofts and Kaines, here you go. Obviously the biggest difference being the Kaines are taller, while the Ashcrofts are thicker front to back. I removed the lenses because I'm trying to decide which to keep for opticals.

Let me know which ones you like for me.

20230609_015846-COLLAGE.jpg
20230609_015752-COLLAGE.jpg
20230609_015921-COLLAGE.jpg

Last edited:

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those interested in the difference between Ashcrofts and Kaines, here you go. Obviously the biggest difference being the Kaines are taller, while the Ashcrofts are thicker front to back. I removed the lenses because I'm trying to decide which to keep for opticals.

View attachment 1972389 View attachment 1972391 View attachment 1972393
Kaine is my preference on you. They appear to be sized a tad more appropriately but hard to judge off pictures alone.

Anyways, thank you for the comparison. I was eyeing the Ashcroft since I love my Kaines. May grab them if Quentin dont work out.

threeleggeddog

Reaction score
Does anyone know what new colors will be coming out for the molino (51) and the Yves?

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like both on you, but if you necessarily want just one, that should be the Kaine.

Last edited:

brown2190

Reaction score

Pureneat

Reaction score

Can I also add Kaine as the preferred option?

I would also like to congratulate you sir on your photographic skills….. This is a great example of how comparison photos should be done…..👌

qubed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Kaines are better without the hat, and the Ashcrofts better with the hat (makes for better proportions).

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New to the thread and I’m looking to get my first pair and those have been grabbing my attention.
Honestly, they’re all so damn sexy I’m sure no matter what I get I’ll love, but you gotta make the first ones a little special
I have the first iteration. They were my first pair too and are still my favourites, and also my most comfortable pair.

They're just clean and the silhouette is sharp, clean, and bold

@haydenriley328i I know you were looking for these too. There is a new batch of Dealan George Cortina's up on the JMM website.

swf999

Reaction score
Check out my May 27th post. I have Dealan GC in one of the 15 photos.

sunnypig

Reaction score
Have to decide between the loewy in jasper and the dealan in eclipse. Which one would y’all say fit me better? These will be fitted with transitions if that makes any difference.
IMG_0286.jpeg
IMG_0287.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads