• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your responde.
I noticed Mondello online but unfortunately they are based in Rome, I also saw some retailers in Milan but they have a small selection, I'll just try to go there and see what they have in stock.
You are right about the shape of the face rather than the phisique, I have an oval face I think and I want a more 'subtle' look, I guess the only way to find out is to try them on!

If you don't find the models you want to try on, you could order online and eventually return them and have them replaced: I know, this is suboptimal, but possibly the only way.

About Dealan and Molino, pay attention to order the "normal" sizes, as there are also the bigger ones.

fmvazquez

Reaction score
Thanks for your responde.
I noticed Mondello online but unfortunately they are based in Rome, I also saw some retailers in Milan but they have a small selection, I'll just try to go there and see what they have in stock.
You are right about the shape of the face rather than the phisique, I have an oval face I think and I want a more 'subtle' look, I guess the only way to find out is to try them on!
Hi man, in Italy you have some nice retailers; Mondello as @DorianGreen noted, also Foppa (I've bought from them), Bottega di Sguardi, SM16...you could always give it a try and send them back if you are not happy. MrPorter or Leidman have a good selection and easy returns within EU.
I also have an oval rather small face, best fit for me Zephirin 47, but I find them too classic. Molino 51 should be also fine. Dealan 50 are a bit more difficult in my opinion because of the cat eye shape, but I like them a lot. I would also give the 1948 (Stanley Kubrik) a try. Fellini is also a frame to consider.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi man, in Italy you have some nice retailers; Mondello as @DorianGreen noted, also Foppa (I've bought from them), Bottega di Sguardi, SM16...you could always give it a try and send them back if you are not happy. MrPorter or Leidman have a good selection and easy returns within EU.
I also have an oval rather small face, best fit for me Zephirin 47, but I find them too classic. Molino 51 should be also fine. Dealan 50 are a bit more difficult in my opinion because of the cat eye shape, but I like them a lot. I would also give the 1948 (Stanley Kubrik) a try. Fellini is also a frame to consider.

The Fellini is probably my favourite frame, but currently rather difficult to score in the classic colourways: Beige and Olive, the latest releases, don't excite me.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navroze Mubarak, Happy Spring 2023!
(Ascari Agar with grey polarized lenses.)

JMM Ascari Agar_Colhay Cardigan_DBF Pecora Nera.jpg

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am new here, been attracted to JMM frames as opticals for quite some time now, I have narrowed my likings to Zephirin, Dealan and Molino, I have to now try them on, I live near Milan, do you guys have any suggestions for a shop around here?
Also do you think these 3 models are all ok for an ''understated'' look?
I am pretty sure the Zephirin are, not sure about the other 2, for reference I am a pretty skinny 26 year old.
Thanks for your help!

Just from a quick Google search, it seems like Le Lunetier Milano stocks JMM. If it's not nearby, I'd call to make sure they have the models you're considering, although Dealan and Molino are the flagship models that everyone has in store.

Raccoon

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the response.
I will try to go in store at Le Lunetier ( even though looking online they don't seem to have a lot of stock ) and to Ottica Bergomi ( someone already bought something from them? ), I'd rather try them in store as I also have to put prescription lenses and I believe it is better to have them done at the same place I'll get the frame from.
I'll definitely try to have a look also at other silhouettes like the Fellini, even though I think they are a little bit more ''heavy'' on the face compared to others ( as probably is the Dealan, but this is the model that made me fall in love with JMM in the first place )

fmvazquez

Reaction score
Thanks! The Ascari is probably the biggest (pleasant) JMM surprise. I didn't care for the shape, didn't care for the professional model photos or other images posted on JMM. Then last year a rep at my local store convinced me to try it on, and click!
I think its much than worth to have a pair! For me it was the other way around...loved the shape and looks/model photos but had to get use to its chunkiness.
One of your best fits in my opinion!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks again TWD, I wore the Fitzgeralds with much pleasure this past week!

Two of my other hobbies are collecting/using fountain pens, and painting miniatures. When I first got into Jacques Marie Mage sunglasses in November 2020, I marvelled at the parallels between ebay resellers of JMMs to those of limited edition FPs and figurines. Given a lot of their crazy markups, I also wonder how out of touch with reality some are. There are a lot of reseller speculators out there who don't do their research, and are just continually aiming for the moon with their crazy prices, even if their wares constantly get relisted on eBay (or whatever online marketplace) seemingly for years.

I suppose there are the rare buyers who would pay three-plus times what an item would/should go for, and good for them! However for this hobbyist, it's gonna be a hard pass on paying $1700 for an Ascari VT, or $2000 for a 1998 Montblanc Edgar Allan Poe, or even $100 on the latest limited ed. Primaris Space Marine Lieutenant!
Glad you’re still liking those frames - I STILL have a very slight seller’s remorse on that deal. I think you paid me around what I paid so it’s not financial (unless I see another pair go for an astronomical price!) they’re just a good looking pair but kinda replicate a tasty pair of emerald green Moscots I have so I let them go.

It’s a bit puzzling how Fitzgerald’s, as one of the more conservative wayfarer-ish frames, have since disappeared from JMM. I might have expected them to get the Dealan / Molino treatment and be available year after year after year in an ever increasing variety of colours.

I really like the look of the recent Ashcrofts, although I’ve yet to try them on in real life. Like the similar Jeffs I’m completely uninspired by the present colour range so hoping they get a better variety of options in the coming months.

As for fountain pens I have a couple of nice ones but can’t claim any expertise. When I was first writing with ink my Mam would never let me use hers. After she died it was left for me by my siblings among a few other items. It was a Parker 51, hardly an exclusive piece but a bit of research and it seems that this model is well respected as the energiser bunny of budget fountain pens. Took it to Dromgoolie’s the pen experts when I lived in Houston and they said it dates to late 1955 which was when my parents married. I suspect this was a wedding present from my Dad to my Mam and that’s why she never let me use it as a kid. Not worth much in resale but priceless in sentimental value! And with a bit of cleaning and new ink it writes like it was new out of the box! I hope my kid comes to appreciate my watches, my pens and my JMMs when I’ve shuffled off😄

smsmichael

Reaction score
Hi guys! I was looking for an Enzo Noir 01. I have some rare Fellini frames and a rare Enzo frame I would be willing to trade for. If interested, feel free to DM me! I would appreciate it!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads