• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received my various Black Friday wares today - in need of opinions!

First up - Molino 55 in juniper. Thinking of using them as opticals.
View attachment 1863333

Prudhon in flash. Really pretty, delicate glasses but thinking the lenses are too small and the thickness of the acetate (relative to normal brands) emphasizes that smallness... trying to decide between these and the Molinos!
View attachment 1863335

Enzos in surplus. Love these. Could see myself using them as sunnies here - and maybe a pair in black/havana as opticals (unlike my Yves). Is that a reasonable thought?
View attachment 1863337

A reference pic of Mykita Buds for my usual vibe- they're about the same lens size as the Molinos.
View attachment 1863330

Surprisingly, the Prudhons and Enzos with their nominally wide bridges didn't bother me at all - pretty snug fits (Prudhons maybe a little too snug). I love the idea of juniper as an off-color transparency for an optical. But Prudhon is so pretty! But maybe an Enzo optical works better than Prudhon?

I'm keen on eliminating at least one of these three (two if you guys can argue for it) and need your help!

As a total aside, I'm quite unhappy with the fit of my Torinos, having compared with all of these. They keep slipping off my ears if I even look down! It's a shame, they're such a lovely pair otherwise.

I like all the three frames on you, and I would wear them as they are. The Prudhon may look too "normal", but it's ideal as opticals.

By the way, I think you could have your Torinos adjusted to your features, it's obviously annoying to have them slipping.

Last edited:

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m fully aware that good taste is in many ways its own reward. I have plenty of nice stuff like suits, shoes, watches etc and don’t agonise about what Joe Public thinks of me - just curious how the other JMM cult members think about this.

Interesting reflection. I stressed that sentence, because it explains my feeling about the subject. I have 30 frames and have spent evidently a lot of money on them, but I don't care whether people recognise them (becoming aware of their worth) or not, they just satisfy my aesthetic taste and my collector spirit.

Of course each of us is glad to receive a compliment, but it's not the reason I collect and wear my sunglasses for.

Last edited:

Calin

Reaction score
I fully empathize with @DorianGreen 's point of view above. As a permanent prescription glasses wearer since age of 5 (in my 30s now) I grew up appreciating more&more the importance of what you lay on your face and what suits me best aesthetically. Not mentioning also the quality of the frames - in my experience nothing compares with the acetates and also the titaniums of JMM. The public appeal is certainly a plus, but comes only after these two for me.

And probably these are the reasons why I'm looking now at almost 20 JMM pieces in my collection also 😅

Last edited:

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Received my various Black Friday wares today - in need of opinions!

First up - Molino 55 in juniper. Thinking of using them as opticals.
View attachment 1863333

Prudhon in flash. Really pretty, delicate glasses but thinking the lenses are too small and the relative thickness of the acetate emphasizes that... trying to decide between these and the Molinos!
View attachment 1863335

Enzos in surplus. Love these. Could see myself using them as sunnies here - and maybe a pair in black/havana as opticals (unlike my Yves). Is that a reasonable thought?
View attachment 1863337

A reference pic of Mykita Buds for my usual vibe- they're about the same lens size as the Molinos.
View attachment 1863359

The Prudhons and Enzos with their supposedly-wide bridges didn't bother me at all - pretty snug fits (Prudhons maybe a little too snug). I love the idea of juniper as an off-color transparency for an optical. But Prudhon is so pretty! But maybe an Enzo optical works better than Prudhon?

I'd like to eliminate one (maybe two) of these three and need your help!

As an aside, I'm quite unhappy with the fit of my Torinos, having compared with all of these. They keep slipping off my ears if I even look down! It's a shame, they're such a lovely pair otherwise.
I like the Enzo on you and the other two, particularly the Prudhon, can go back.

Personally would like to see you try something other than a rectangular or square shape.

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Enzo on you and the other two, particularly the Prudhon, can go back.

Personally would like to see you try something other than a rectangular or square shape.

Agree on all points.

@Colrais, you’ve got a great look to accompany some more interesting JMM frames. Step outside the box a little but keep the Enzo, as it works well and Surplus is fantastic.

Now I realize I’m saying step outside the box while I own many of one frame style only only, Enzo, but my head is a thumb. Yours is not.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A nice fit on the Fellini Beige, from the FB JMM Collectors.

Screenshot (143).png

ijgood123

Reaction score
Not held up but I bought a pair of Mason and Sons Yvan sunglasses from England as worn by Michael Caine in the Harry Palmer films. This was pre JMM but I thought they fit me huge so I sent them back. The fella at Masons even admitted they were large and due to a lot of returns wished they’d made them in a smaller size. Anyway along with having to eat the cost of shipping both ways I was hit with an import duties bill. I provided evidence that I’d sent them back then after a clear out destroyed the documents. Months later I was hit with a duty bill again and they kept coming at me over and over and sent it to collections. It took me two years to finally (hopefully) clear this so if that happens to anyone DO NOT destroy your evidence that you shipped them back.
Wow, quite an ordeal!

My experience hasn't been quite as bad, but after the seller provided the necessary documents last week, DHL informed me that I would have to pay a series of fees amounting to about %15 of the purchase price, including a $30 fee that a DHL rep told me was a "storage, fee" (she proceeded to waive it). Other charges in included a $25 fee assessed by the FDA for "permits/licenses." The ability to contest these fees seems very limited.

My takeaway: I'm not sure I'd purchase online again. It seems most sunglasses purchases somehow make it into the U.S. without snags (or fees), but if an item is caught up in customs, the process can be a real hassle.

MícheálfromCDM

Reaction score
I like all the three frames on you, and I would wear them as they are. The Prudhon may look too "normal", but it's ideal as opticals.

By the way, I think you could have your Torinos adjusted to your features, it's obviously annoying to have them slipping.

Hi All,

To those who might remember me, and noticed my absence, the long and short of it is this: I seemed to be perfectly healthy, nationally ranked in three sports at one time, and still held a national ranking in two, was fit, felt a nickel sized lump on my right reared check, went to the ER under protest on 6/25/22 and was discharged 9/09/23. I nearly died three times, had to learn to walk and climb stairs again, and am undergoing chemo now. Have no doubt, I will beat this thing, and I will have a great time doing so.

Meanwhile, you look good in everything, but if forced to decide, I would say:

Enzo - sunglasses
Molino - opticals
Prudhon - opticals choice #2 (due to size, says the guy whose favorite frame on himself is a round 38mm)

Don’t give up on the Torinos. I own a pair of Peppers (Hoppers) in Vintage Havana. They constantly slipped down my nose and irritated me to no end, but I continued to bring them in for adjustments. I don’t know, I just seem to give up on nothing lately, and one day recently, I finally brought them in when a new customer rep was in, who adjusted the frames perfectly. They are now among my favorite to wear. And don’t get me started on how beautiful the Vintage Havana are.

I am on Chemo for the next three days, before I get a break, and I am tired tonight, but before I get to sleep, I will say be tenacious, don’t give up on a frame that you love. Get those Torinos adjusted correctly.

it is nice to be a part of the conversation again.

Season’s best wishes to you all!
Mike

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

To those who might remember me, and noticed my absence, the long and short of it is this: I seemed to be perfectly healthy, nationally ranked in three sports at one time, and still held a national ranking in two, was fit, felt a nickel sized lump on my right reared check, went to the ER under protest on 6/25/22 and was discharged 9/09/23. I nearly died three times, had to learn to walk and climb stairs again, and am undergoing chemo now. Have no doubt, I will beat this thing, and I will have a great time doing so.

Enzo - sunglasses
Molino - opticals
Prudhon - opticals choice #2 (due to size, says the guy whose favorite frame on himself is a round 38mm)

Don’t give up on the Torinos. I own a pair of Peppers (Hoppers) in Vintage Havana. They constantly slipped down my nose and irritated me to no end, but I continued to bring them in for adjustments. I don’t know, I just seem to give up on nothing lately, and one day recently, I finally brought them in when a new customer rep was in, who adjusted the frames perfectly. They are now among my favorite to wear. And don’t get me started on how beautiful the Vintage Havana are.

I am on Chemo for the next three days, before I get a break, and I am tired tonight, but before I get to sleep, I will say be tenacious, don’t give up on a frame that you love. Get those Torinos adjusted correctly.

Mike

I wish you all the best! I always appreciated your smart, thoughtful contributions.

lsterling

Reaction score
Hi All,

Enzo - sunglasses
Molino - opticals

Mike
Wishing you all the best in your recovery, Mike! I think I speak for all of us when I say we'll be rooting hard for you and you WILL beat this! Appreciate you sharing your story!

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Enzo - sunglasses
Molino - opticals

Mike
I was wondering where you went! So sorry to hear everything you’re going through. Keep up the fight. We still need you posting. 😁

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads