• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

dtwb

Reaction score
First pair of JMM - Dealan 53 in Agar.
I'm also having a second-hand pair of Zephirin in Havana 2 made up as reading glasses.
20220810_120042.jpg
20220730_134454.jpg

nightwatcher

Reaction score
Is that Mr. Porter? Good find, though I find that model hard to wear personally.

Yeah, Mr. Porter, 2017. Prices on JMM were much lower then before all the hype.

btw, what do you mean hard to wear? for me they are among the most comfortable JMM's that I got

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Mr. Porter, 2017. Prices on JMM were much lower then before all the hype.

btw, what do you mean hard to wear? for me they are among the most comfortable JMM's that I got
Yeah I remember before JMM was big you could find sales seasonally not that hard. On Mr. Porter they had a Sheridan with clip on sunglasses in the $200s.

I actually just meant stylistically. The metal bridge and frame shape are tough for me, but that’s just a personal thing, not a knock on your own style or the frame itself.

DomoDomo

Reaction score
First time JMM customer and as with most of you, they are not my last. Came across them in LA 6 years ago but couldn’t get them on my giant noggin so didn’t give them much thought until I was looking at their site recently and noticed that they are now listing the total width of the frames- that allowed me to find a handful that would be wide enough for me.

Got a pair of Torino’s in Agar that is being fitted with adjustable nose pads now and then will be converted to opticals. While all that is happening wanted to try out some other styles and tried on a pair of Shozo’s in Midnight. Don’t think they are a keeper though. The frame, on me, look less like an aviator style and more just like a quirky round frame- just isn’t something I’m going to wear a lot.

Thoughts?

61A3B702-214B-4D88-8601-A8EFB55EEA44.JPEG

Additionally the frame lacked a certain heft that I love from the other JMM frames I’ve come across. It felt more flimsy (not from a quality perspective) and close to premium frames from brands such as Moscot, or Oliver Peoples. I’m at the point where if I’m going to invest in a pair of JMM, then the quality needs to be obvious from the moment I touch them and the Shozo just fell a little short of that. The “flex” temples were interesting though. The construction of them are different from the typical flex hinges in the market. Instead of the actual hinge flexing, it appears that the acetate temple arm kind of moves a few degrees in and out from the metal extension. Still functions the same but was interested in seeing that design. Maybe this construction has a longer lifespan?

Last edited:

lsterling

Reaction score
First time JMM customer and as with most of you, they are not my last. Came across them in LA 6 years ago but couldn’t get them on my giant noggin so didn’t give them much thought until I was looking at their site recently and noticed that they are now listing the total width of the frames- that allowed me to find a handful that would be wide enough for me.

Got a pair of Torino’s in Agar that is being fitted with adjustable nose pads now and then will be converted to opticals. While all that is happening wanted to try out some other styles and tried on a pair of Shozo’s in Midnight. Don’t think they are a keeper though. The frame, on me, look less like an aviator style and more just like a quirky round frame- just isn’t something I’m going to wear a lot.

Thoughts?

View attachment 1821312

Additionally the frame lacked a certain heft that I love from the other JMM frames I’ve come across. It felt more flimsy (not from a quality perspective) and close to premium frames from brands such as Moscot, or Oliver Peoples. I’m at the point where if I’m going to invest in a pair of JMM, then the quality needs to be obvious from the moment I touch them and the Shozo just fell a little short of that. The “flex” temples were interesting though. The construction of them are different from the typical flex hinges in the market. Instead of the actual hinge flexing, it appears that the acetate temple arm kind of moves a few degrees in and out from the metal extension. Still functions the same but was interested in seeing that design. Maybe this construction has a longer lifespan?
I think the Shozo looks good on you but it's obviously very subjective. I also agree about the spring hinges feeling more flimsy, but I do know that they help with long-term comfort and a more flexible fit. If your frame is adjusted properly, I don't think it would make much of a difference in longevity.

nightwatcher

Reaction score
I’m at the point where if I’m going to invest in a pair of JMM, then the quality needs to be obvious from the moment I touch them

But that's the beauty of Shozo, they look chic without being too flashy. If you don't like it, then obviously you should consider some other options. Maybe take one of the suns and convert them to optical.

btw, I think Kuboraum's P-series would look nice on you.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thoughts?

View attachment 1821312

I think the Aldo or Kobo might look cool on you. Welcome.

DomoDomo

Reaction score
But that's the beauty of Shozo, they look chic without being too flashy. If you don't like it, then obviously you should consider some other options. Maybe take one of the suns and convert them to optical.

btw, I think Kuboraum's P-series would look nice on you.

Thanks @nightwatcher @lsterling! I definitely went back and forth on them for a day before making the decision.

@nightwatcher I’ve been looking at Kuboraum's for a while now but never pulled the trigger! Need to take a serious look at them.

@d4nimal thanks for the recommendations- going to have to try those out next!

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @nightwatcher @lsterling! I definitely went back and forth on them for a day before making the decision.

@nightwatcher I’ve been looking at Kuboraum's for a while now but never pulled the trigger! Need to take a serious look at them.

@d4nimal thanks for the recommendations- going to have to try those out next!
Oh and the Enzo is an obvious choice (and more approachable, generally) - should have mentioned that before, though @elisiX may have purchased the entire world's supply at this point in time.

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m trying!

(weekly, who’s got an Enzo Rover for me, post)

BigRed

Reaction score
I made my first order from JMM's website yesterday (Taos Whisky). I'm curious as to how long they typically take to ship the product out?

TR14

Reaction score
I made my first order from JMM's website yesterday (Taos Whisky). I'm curious as to how long they typically take to ship the product out?

I’ve ordered from the site eight times. Every order shipped out in the late afternoon (pacific time) the next day business day. Eight for eight. These were to Canada and express shipping (I no longer have that option I believe).

I was always pleased with the consistency despite the site saying they ship out same day for Express orders, if ordered before a certain time. I had ordered before the “cut off” on two orders and they shipped next day. Figured ordering international might not have qualified for same day processing. Also, I would receive the FedEx picked up email sometimes before the JMM shipment/tracking email.

Haven’t ordered since December last year. So, not sure if they have been as consistent recently.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads