• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

lsterling

Reaction score
I’ve been patiently awaiting the arrival of the upcoming Evans in store for a while now, but I stumbled upon the seemingly impossible to find Felson (in Hickory) at a resale retailer for a decent price! Can’t decide if I can justify having another frame yet but it’d be hard to give these up now that they’re in hand. View attachment 1808513
Wowwwww! If you pass on them, consider shooting me a message with the name of the store...

feb112020

Reaction score
Hey! I'm curious if others have experience with this. I've noticed my Ascari's have a bit more play/flex in the frame than other JMM models. What I mean is, when pressing on the frame around the lens, there's a bit of creaking that I haven't noticed with any other JMM model. I tried this on multiple new pairs of Ascari and all had it to varying degree. Is this due to the thickness of the acetate perhaps? Have others noticed this with their Ascari?

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up my first pair, a Taos Marquina. I thought I was going to get one of their titanium frames (Fontana) but the Taos fit my face so well, and will replace my Persols, which never fit right. They also feel much more solid than my Persols.

While online they look similar to Enzos, I found the Enzos looked much bigger, bigger than their mildly bigger dimensions would suggest. Maybe because the temple meets the rim at the upper corner insteam of lower down.

The Fontana is very nice but I wasn't sold on the colors of the lenses currently being offered. I like sunglass lenses to be on the darker side. The silver frame really pops but the blue leaves your eyes very visible. The rose gold frame wwas a bit too pink for me in combination with the currently offered lenses, I'd like to see those lenses on a yellow gold frame. The antique gold frame was the strongest contender for me.

I also tried the 1962 which is pretty damn big. I wonder what a smaller version would look like.

haydenriley328i

Reaction score
Hey! I'm curious if others have experience with this. I've noticed my Ascari's have a bit more play/flex in the frame than other JMM models. What I mean is, when pressing on the frame around the lens, there's a bit of creaking that I haven't noticed with any other JMM model. I tried this on multiple new pairs of Ascari and all had it to varying degree. Is this due to the thickness of the acetate perhaps? Have others noticed this with their Ascari?
Mine are solid as a rock. Hope they don’t start!

lsterling

Reaction score
I picked up my first pair, a Taos Marquina. I thought I was going to get one of their titanium frames (Fontana) but the Taos fit my face so well, and will replace my Persols, which never fit right. They also feel much more solid than my Persols.

While online they look similar to Enzos, I found the Enzos looked much bigger, bigger than their mildly bigger dimensions would suggest. Maybe because the temple meets the rim at the upper corner insteam of lower down.

The Fontana is very nice but I wasn't sold on the colors of the lenses currently being offered. I like sunglass lenses to be on the darker side. The silver frame really pops but the blue leaves your eyes very visible. The rose gold frame wwas a bit too pink for me in combination with the currently offered lenses, I'd like to see those lenses on a yellow gold frame. The antique gold frame was the strongest contender for me.

I also tried the 1962 which is pretty damn big. I wonder what a smaller version would look like.
Taos is a great frame - very different from Enzo. Enzo is VERY bold while I feel like Taos can sort of fly under the radar. Both great frames, though.

feb112020

Reaction score
Mine are solid as a rock. Hope they don’t start!

Interesting. It's happening on two brand new pairs of Ascari for me. Neither have had the lenses removed as far as I know. Seemed brand new in packaging. Here's a video where you can hear what I'm describing.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Yep! Had the same problem on an old Enzo and WhiskeyClone

lsterling

Reaction score
Interesting. It's happening on two brand new pairs of Ascari for me. Neither have had the lenses removed as far as I know. Seemed brand new in packaging. Here's a video where you can hear what I'm describing.

A couple of mine do that with the stock lenses. None of the frames I've had lenses cut for do this. I'm assuming it's just due to slight variations in the frames and stock lenses all being cut the same for a given model.

Facultyofzen

Reaction score

I believe this is a problem with stock lenses not being seated, and/or cut correctly. Had this problem with some replacement Taos lenses I received directly from JMM. The originals didn't creak and when overlaying the two there were obvious differences. I then had custom gradient lenses cut from the originals and they were perfect. FWIW, my optician worked at Hoya Japan for 15 years and he told me JMM lenses are utter crap, as is the AR coating.

haydenriley328i

Reaction score
I believe this is a problem with stock lenses not being seated, and/or cut correctly. Had this problem with some replacement Taos lenses I received directly from JMM. The originals didn't creak and when overlaying the two there were obvious differences. I then had custom gradient lenses cut from the originals and they were perfect. FWIW, my optician worked at Hoya Japan for 15 years and he told me JMM lenses are utter crap, as is the AR coating.
Echoing this and what @lsterling said. The pair of Felson I recently acquired does it a ton. Any of the pairs I’ve put lenses in are super solid. Crappy stock lenses sounds like the issue here for sure.

lsterling

Reaction score
Echoing this and what @lsterling said. The pair of Felson I recently acquired does it a ton. Any of the pairs I’ve put lenses in are super solid. Crappy stock lenses sounds like the issue here for sure.
And you deprive us of more pictures of this Felson, you son of a gun!

Facultyofzen

Reaction score

My Felson are ok but if I put a little extra pressure here and there, then there's some ever so slight creeking but otherwise when handling them normally its all fine.

haydenriley328i

Reaction score
And you deprive us of more pictures of this Felson, you son of a gun!
They have this goofy tag in the middle that I can’t remove if I intend to return so if I decide to keep trust me more pics will be on the way! Just have to decide if I’m parting with a pair of sneakers to fund them, 1 in 1 out rule for me for hobby shopping stuff.

lsterling

Reaction score
They have this goofy tag in the middle that I can’t remove if I intend to return so if I decide to keep trust me more pics will be on the way! Just have to decide if I’m parting with a pair of sneakers to fund them, 1 in 1 out rule for me for hobby shopping stuff.
Ahhhh, I see.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads