• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

lsterling

Reaction score
I had to think about it, and I've changed my mind.

Clear frames look good if they have tinted lenses, but not transparent lenses.

Translucent opticals have been popular lately and the look is not for me.
I personally like clear opticals but I get where you're coming from. I just got these Ichikawa this weekend - still not sure what lenses are going in them. Still waiting on my Sand Ichikawa to come back from getting lenses put in as well. 20220626_213522.jpg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally like clear opticals but I get where you're coming from. I just got these Ichikawa this weekend - still not sure what lenses are going in them. Still waiting on my Sand Ichikawa to come back from getting lenses put in as well. View attachment 1807090
One appealing factor for clear frames could be the visual weight. They don't look as prominent and seem easier to wear in a variety of pairs, regardless of size.

Black frames look very intense and prominent in comparison, which is what I love.

If you plan on using those as opticals, green transitions might look nice. I'm likely influenced by the shirt.

lsterling

Reaction score
One appealing factor for clear frames could be the visual weight. They don't look as prominent and seem easier to wear in a variety of pairs, regardless of size.

Black frames look very intense and prominent in comparison, which is what I love.

If you plan on using those as opticals, green transitions might look nice. I'm likely influenced by the shirt.
The shirt probably factors in, but I think the Beige colorway does come with a green lens when it ships as a sun frame.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While looking for alternatives to chunky vintage tort frames, I found a brand called Black Eyewear. They also seem to do chunky acetate in classic designs.

These ones in particular interest me. Also closer to that Moscot tier of pricing which is appreciated. Looks be a solid build too on first glance.

I was tipped off about Black Eyewear and visited their cupboard … errr … shop when I was in London in 2017. The fella there was very helpful, let me try loads of pairs on. I was looking for a pair in ‘matt marmalade’ a sort of rectangular narrow frame a bit like what you posted but either they didn’t have them in or I didn’t like the way they fitted, I forget which.
I ended up buying a pair but named Lester but never wear them and need to move them on. They’re OK but nothing special and against several other pairs I have of some sort of variegated brown frame they just weren’t getting worn. If you visit in person the frames have no lenses and you can choose your colour (brown or grey IIRC) and they’ll cut them and for them while you wait.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was tipped off about Black Eyewear and visited their cupboard … errr … shop when I was in London in 2017. The fella there was very helpful, let me try loads of pairs on. I was looking for a pair in ‘matt marmalade’ a sort of rectangular narrow frame a bit like what you posted but either they didn’t have them in or I didn’t like the way they fitted, I forget which.
I ended up buying a pair but named Lester but never wear them and need to move them on. They’re OK but nothing special and against several other pairs I have of some sort of variegated brown frame they just weren’t getting worn. If you visit in person the frames have no lenses and you can choose your colour (brown or grey IIRC) and they’ll cut them and for them while you wait.
I'm biased towards trying on in person which is why I likely won't go for them or any online retailer. I have to nail the fit as I'd only wear as opticals. Mine required 6 adjustments.

I really do enjoy the in person service aspect and the convenience of trying on multiple pairs to find one that works.

I looked up Lester and yeah it looks ok. Only the chunky acetate frames from Black Eyewear appeal to me, not any of the thinner frames.

watchguy1234

Reaction score
So going to return the Olive Fellini I grabbed. Like the frame color but have liked other options more. Plus the color they used on the lenses just make me dizzy for some reason.

Anyone have experience returning directing to JMM? I messaged them Sunday but have yet to get a response.
I’m in the same boat. Emailed three times now with no response. What's the move here? Thanks

lsterling

Reaction score

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So going to return the Olive Fellini I grabbed. Like the frame color but have liked other options more. Plus the color they used on the lenses just make me dizzy for some reason.

Anyone have experience returning directing to JMM? I messaged them Sunday but have yet to get a response.
I’m in the same boat. Emailed three times now with no response. What's the move here? Thanks

Was in the same boat last year. I looked up JMM's phone number on LinkedIn, gave them a call, then immediately got the RMA for return. From there it was still a slow process, but I got my refund.

OcramLlesnow

Reaction score
I find the clear frame pretty clean! I would love to see photos of the Fellini that is out in clear frame. Anyone who pulled the trigger on those or has photos that are not on JMM shop.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find the clear frame pretty clean! I would love to see photos of the Fellini that is out in clear frame. Anyone who pulled the trigger on those or has photos that are not on JMM shop.
I tried on Molinos and Fellinis on ‘glass’ or something once - clear acetate frames with a slight greenish tinge. Green or blue lenses IIRC. I liked the look, they don’t seem as ‘severe’ as darker frames and thus don’t appear as wide, cos your view of them sorta ends at the sides of the dark lenses as opposed to the sides of the frames. Not easy to articulate that but for those who think JMMs are too wide these might be an option.

Edited to add that the reason I didn’t get them is that I have a pair of Oliver Peoples Cabrillo in chunky clear acetate (with titanium temple tips) in a Wayfarer-ish shape with blue lenses. I like ‘em and wear ‘em quite often. I didn’t think that the JMMs were different enough from these to warrant me shelling out the $650 or whatever it was. One of my by-laws for buying JMMs is that they have to stand out and be different enough from what I already have to make it worth my while.

Last edited:

Facultyofzen

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads