• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

lsterling

Reaction score
I am almost there with you. I have not seen a new frame that I have liked since the Domoto.

I now have more pairs than I ever imagined accumulating. I have not yet even put Rx lenses in a few of them because my lenses are so ridiculously expensive.

I am still interested in seeing new stuff as it comes out but will not go on treasure hunts just for the thrill of the hunt. If my stockists can get the goods, I will try them on, but will not order on-line.

Also, in light of the recent price increases, I am telling myself that I am priced out of the titanium models.

I am also interested in other brands that have completely different esthetics. If I were to keep going, my funds would be likely allocated to those brands.
I haven't seen a new shape I'm crazy about since Domoto either. I'm optimistic about the Evans but other than that, it's all pretty much just okay. I do plan to pick up the Beige Ichikawa when my local gets it in. I'd also like to try on the Vendome but I'm not completely sold on the shape.

lsterling

Reaction score
If you were to do a transition with that color frame, I would recommend an indoor tint that transitions to a dark tint. I would not do a transition from clear to dark.

You have many options for the indoor tint with the color of those frames. Personally, I would not be conservative.
It's definitely on the table. I will say, I dress relatively conservatively (polos, button-downs, nice jeans or chinos at work, t shirts and jeans off-duty) so I'm not sure a tint would fit my aesthetic on a normal day. Then again, maybe a loud ass white frame doesn't either and going a little crazy with it is the whole point.

Cliffnopus

Reaction score
Now that you say...My Jeff Shadow look a bit like movie theatre glasses :cool: but I love how they fit me.
About translucent frames, did you have the chance to have a pair of JMM Shironeri in your hands? They look gorgeous, the thick champagne acetate is amazing and they nail it with the transition to a darker temple end. Far away from cheap lab goggles from my point of view.

View attachment 1806151 View attachment 1806152
"Different strokes" as they say. I feel exactly the opposite and I'm probably in the minority from all I've viewed. I only like the translucent colorful frames. Since my first Molino in Camel, I've acquired a Molino in Reserve (my only solid color). A recent grail acqusition, a Yellowstone Fellini in Sage and two pre-sales I'll probably get in August, A Ochre Molino and a Dahlia Dealan. And yes, I'm a big fan of the Molino 'cause it fits me like a glove. The chunky blacks/browns do nothing for me.

fmvazquez

Reaction score
I’ve gone right off JMM in recent months.
I know I’m in the minority but I wonder if it’s a minority of one?😁 Anyone else feel similar?
Jeffs and Fellinis are the only styles to remotely picque my interest lately as the trend for most of the new releases I’ve seen seems to be moving towards hypoooge oval shaped styles which don’t suit me at all.
Jeffs are ridiculously overpriced and both they and Fellinis only seem to be available in boring colours. I want to see some in standout colours with intricately engraved wiring not thousand dollar clones of black and brown wayfarers.

At least being able to resist temptation is good for my wallet

Fellini and Jeff are also my favorite frames, and same as you, none of the recently launched shades woke up my interest...I am looking forward the Vendome, could be something for me.
I guess that they are confronting the problem of nowadays companies...they are a young brand and you have to grow and grow...which means that you have to produce more and more (difficult when you only do limited editions), as a result you have the 'Wayfarer' in hundred colors and lots of new frames that are not as iconic/interesting as the early ones.
That said, we all know there is a great team behind and the top quality is there, so I still expect amazing styles coming.

Last edited:

fmvazquez

Reaction score
Fellini and Jeff are also my favorite frames, and same as you, none of the recently launched shades woke up my interest...I am looking forward the Vendome, could be something for me.
I guess that they are confronting the problem of nowadays companies...they are a young brand and you have to grow and grow...which means that you have to produce more and more (difficult when you only do limited editions), as a result you have the 'Wayfarer' in hundred colors and lots of new frames that are not as iconic/interesting as the early ones.
That said, we all know there is a great team behind and the top quality is there, so I still expect amazing styles coming.
Which doesn't explain why we don't get more Vintage Tort 😅

Facultyofzen

Reaction score

You can never re-invent the eyewear wheel so to speak, you can only enhance or perfect something iconic of the past based on quality craftsmanship and what materials are at your disposal. Jerome's vision is pure and passionate. It's what separates him from the pack. He is obsessed with quality, not high volume or mass market production. He just knows what works – be it trends or colourways – and regardless of cost he has successfully cornered himself into such a niche market that not many can compete with. Sure that might change in the future but for now, he is killing it.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which doesn't explain why we don't get more Vintage Tort 😅
Just got an email announcing their latest colour …

Wait for it …

Could it be …

Crossing fingers ..:

Beluga - “deep midnight blue”

In other words yet another variation in black or almost black. How many is that now?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Somebody wake me up when he comes up with something slightly more exciting than that!

lsterling

Reaction score
You can never re-invent the eyewear wheel so to speak, you can only enhance or perfect something iconic of the past based on quality craftsmanship and what materials are at your disposal. Jerome's vision is pure and passionate. It's what separates him from the pack. He is obsessed with quality, not high volume or mass market production. He just knows what works – be it trends or colourways – and regardless of cost he has successfully cornered himself into such a niche market that not many can compete with. Sure that might change in the future but for now, he is killing it.
I absolutely agree with this, and the pool of JMM devotees ranges from classic and conservative dressers (I fall on this end of the spectrum) to eccentric clotheshorses who love the loud colors and eye-catching designs. This summer collection is definitely catering to the eccentric customers so far. I have no problem with that, and I expect the winter collection to have some darker, more classic frames on offer. What can't be argued is that the quality is still top-notch and there are even some improvements over past collections. It just happens that this summer doesn't have much that suits my taste, and that's completely fine. I could probably use a break anyway.

sbspecs

Reaction score
I don’t know if the Thundercloud (Last Frontier) in cement is on anyone’s wish list, but there is a live auction happening ending tonight. The benefits of this auction go to The Open Your Eyes scholarship which provides full tuition and paid internship to high school seniors from underrepresented communities who have an interest in pursuing a career in opticianry.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I absolutely agree with this, and the pool of JMM devotees ranges from classic and conservative dressers (I fall on this end of the spectrum) to eccentric clotheshorses who love the loud colors and eye-catching designs. This summer collection is definitely catering to the eccentric customers so far. I have no problem with that, and I expect the winter collection to have some darker, more classic frames on offer. What can't be argued is that the quality is still top-notch and there are even some improvements over past collections. It just happens that this summer doesn't have much that suits my taste, and that's completely fine. I could probably use a break anyway.
I still view JMM frames as takes on very classic styles. Yes, the extra thick acetate adds an edge. But compared to some brands like Kuboraum, Rigards, Masahiro - JMM is fairly traditional.

I am not suggesting that is bad in any way - I like what JMM does. Only that I like the variety of having some classic styles and also some avant-garde ones.

lsterling

Reaction score
I still view JMM frames as takes on very classic styles. Yes, the extra thick acetate adds an edge. But compared to some brands like Kuboraum, Rigards, Masahiro - JMM is fairly traditional.

I am not suggesting that is bad in any way - I like what JMM does. Only that I like the variety of having some classic styles and also some avant-garde ones.
For sure - there are some designs that are unique to JMM, but none of it is ultra cutting-edge and avant garde like the brands you mentioned. Beautiful, modern takes on classic designs.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that you say...My Jeff Shadow look a bit like movie theatre glasses :cool: but I love how they fit me.
About translucent frames, did you have the chance to have a pair of JMM Shironeri in your hands? They look gorgeous, the thick champagne acetate is amazing and they nail it with the transition to a darker temple end. Far away from cheap lab goggles from my point of view.

View attachment 1806151 View attachment 1806152
I had to think about it, and I've changed my mind.

Clear frames look good if they have tinted lenses, but not transparent lenses.

Translucent opticals have been popular lately and the look is not for me.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While looking for alternatives to chunky vintage tort frames, I found a brand called Black Eyewear. They also seem to do chunky acetate in classic designs.

These ones in particular interest me. Also closer to that Moscot tier of pricing which is appreciated. Looks be a solid build too on first glance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads