• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DSC07849.jpg

Thanks everyone for the advice (and @MícheálfromCDM especially for the extra push!). Domoto in Hickory from Blink Optical in Philadelphia - great experience as always. Picked these up a few days ago. It was a hard choice between hickory and argyle, but ultimately I think the frame does enough on its own that I like the "plain" shade. Really, it looks good in all colors, even the shironeri/clear, which I normally wouldn't even consider.

Currently en route to Marco at Zoomer for lenses. Thus far he's been really responsive and friendly by text and call.

ColdinMN

Reaction score
Hickory is definitely the way to go with the Domoto. Candidly, I don't like the frame in the other colors.

What is the process with Zoomer? That is, how do you get and communicate your measurements remotely?
Zoomer makes it pretty easy to purchase remotely. You choose your lenses online and email them your prescription. They email you a shipping label and you send your frames to them. I think I paid shipping but it was very reasonable, included a box, and covered shipping both ways. You will need to know your specific eye measurements beforehand. Zoomer does not provide that service if you buy online.

I knew my pupillary distance (PD) already. This does not change between different frames. For progressive lenses you will also need to know the segment height, which I think does change from frame to frame. I had a ballpark idea from previous frames and used an app (Eye Measure) to determine the segment height with my new frames. The app also measures PD and it was pretty accurate.

I have only just recently used Zoomer and only once, but I’m pretty happy with the results.

I feel kind of bad not getting lenses from my local optical shop, but Zoomer lenses were half the price and I can’t tell the difference. I still purchase one full set every year from my local shop (what my insurance allows).

Hope this helps.

dwiz

Reaction score
Those look great. I have the feeling you can rock just about any JMM frame you want. Got to admit, I’m a little jealous. Only the more plain/traditional frames work for me.

On a totally different note, a question for the group. How soon do transition lenses typically take to clear? I purchased gen 8 transitions from Zoomer Lens a few weeks ago. Seems like it takes 15+ minutes to clear inside. It’s been cold here in MN (-10 to +20 F), maybe that makes them more sluggish? This is my first pair of lenses with transition technology.

Lastly, another shout out to Zoomer Lens. Lens came back great, good price, good customer service. All by mail/email, going to be using them again.

Thank ya, that’s very kind !
Also good to know about the transitions - thinking I’ll be doing transitions for my next pair.

dwiz

Reaction score
View attachment 1743363

Thanks everyone for the advice (and @MícheálfromCDM especially for the extra push!). Domoto in Hickory from Blink Optical in Philadelphia - great experience as always. Picked these up a few days ago. It was a hard choice between hickory and argyle, but ultimately I think the frame does enough on its own that I like the "plain" shade. Really, it looks good in all colors, even the shironeri/clear, which I normally wouldn't even consider.

Currently en route to Marco at Zoomer for lenses. Thus far he's been really responsive and friendly by text and call.

damn those look phenomenal!

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hickory is definitely the way to go with the Domoto. Candidly, I don't like the frame in the other colors.

What is the process with Zoomer? That is, how do you get and communicate your measurements remotely?
I called the store before office hours and Marco called me back on his cell phone. From there I've just been texting him random stuff back and forth as I was turning over the idea of either fashion tint or transitions. Marco didn't have pictures of example tints at different % aside from gradient lenses, so I didn't want to ultimately take a chance on having to remake them when I knew I already liked them as opticals. Other than that, my process was as @ColdinMN described. He even said if I texted him my Rx and the measurements on the frame, they could start the lenses before I even had them in the mail and get them back within the week. Really responsive thus far.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1743363

I called Marco at Zoomer about replacing lenses on my Liquid Eyewear frames. He told me to send pics, which I did and it’s been crickets ever since.
Wonder what happened there?

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I called Marco at Zoomer about replacing lenses on my Liquid Eyewear frames. He told me to send pics, which I did and it’s been crickets ever since.
Strange, I've had the opposite experience thus far, and I honestly thought I might have been a little pedantic asking a lot of questions about what X looks like or can they do Y. Have you tried calling again or texting since? I can't vouch for them obviously as my process isn't even complete, but I'd give it another go if you haven't yet.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strange, I've had the opposite experience thus far, and I honestly thought I might have been a little pedantic asking a lot of questions about what X looks like or can they do Y. Have you tried calling again or texting since? I can't vouch for them obviously as my process isn't even complete, but I'd give it another go if you haven't yet.
Well you inspired me to dig out my original text from waaaay back and I just resent it and got an instant response!

Jaymig926

Reaction score
View attachment 1743363

Awesome suede ! Where is it from ?

MícheálfromCDM

Reaction score
View attachment 1743363

They look great on you! On a side note, I love Zoomer and Marco, they are good hard working people. Congratulations, and I think the overall outfit strikes a terrific vibe.

MícheálfromCDM

Reaction score
They moved offices on the eve of the holidays, and are growing quickly. I think that might be the reason.

LeBeef

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There’s been some past discussion here on how JMM compares to other brands — I was able to see some Eyevan 7285 the other day and thought they were great, but missing the luxe feeling of JMM. I am new to high end glasses, though, so I think for now I am taken by the thickness of the acetate. With both being made in Japan, is there any other difference between acetates other than width?

As an aside, how does lesca compare to either JMM or Eyevan?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There’s been some past discussion here on how JMM compares to other brands — I was able to see some Eyevan 7285 the other day and thought they were great, but missing the luxe feeling of JMM. I am new to high end glasses, though, so I think for now I am taken by the thickness of the acetate. With both being made in Japan, is there any other difference between acetates other than width?

As an aside, how does lesca compare to either JMM or Eyevan?

As far as I know, most people (maybe all) who produce eyewear in Japan source their acetate from Takiron. I don't know if Takiron sells different grades of acetate. But from having handled JMM frames and other high-end lines, I would say the objective quality is comparable.

IMO, the difference mostly comes down to design. Whereas I have to really search to find two or three frames I like in a line, often only liking one enough to buy, JMM has a ton of frames I'd like to own and can't simply because of cost. I own ten frames at this point and it's hard for me to justify another.

The few times I've interviewed people who work at or run eyewear companies, I always bring up the "quality" issue (e.g., what makes a pair of frames high quality?). The answers are always vague and generic. My impression is that it's really more about the design, although bespoke eyewear is sort of a different tier if you like that sort of process.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads