• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this. I want to return them for sure. The issue is that I can't find the Torino in Tempest anywhere else. I feel so gutted that this is my first experience buying JMM's. I was so excited to get a pair
Yea, that color is pretty much sold out everywhere. Wonder if the shop you purchased from really had an extra pair or if they were just fishing for a buyer. Sadly there’s just some retailers that are dishonest or indifferent. Thankfully, there’s plenty of reliable ones.

One thing you can do is contact JMM directly and ask if they know of any Stockists that still have them. They gave me some direction when I was searching for the Ichikawa.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sadly can’t wear any acetate frames since I virtually have no nose bridge and need nose pads. Thinking of getting a pair of Jaggers with amber transition lenses ?

FWIW, there are places that can add nose pads to acetate glasses. Some are online. I haven't tried any of them, but I've seen their services being advertised. Putting some links here, but note that I know nothing about these companies. Also embedding a video from Noonci that talks about this

Paulinuhhh

Reaction score
FWIW, there are places that can add nose pads to acetate glasses. Some are online. I haven't tried any of them, but I've seen their services being advertised. Putting some links here, but note that I know nothing about these companies. Also embedding a video from Noonci that talks about this

Appreciate this. I may try this out with a pair of beater sunglasses and see how it goes.

Pureneat

Reaction score
I’ve bought 3 pairs of JMM from Tariq at Seen….had nothing but positive experiences
Both in terms of product and service.
Yes this anecdotal but i believe that if you are unhappy you should contact them and
They’ll make it right..
You could also post on the JMM collector’s Facebook page as Tariq posts there.
It’s a shame you have had a less than stellar purchase.

epX

Reaction score
The more I see these I think I need to jump on them. Really unique.

In hand, would you say they still look like a dark Havana, or black with the granite giving some lighter tones?

They‘re really quite different. I took some pictures to compare Hanvana, Agar & Granite.

Agar to me is like a darker shade compared to Havana, similar brownish/reddish color just darker. One of my favorite frame colors.

Granite leans more into a mix of even darker dark brown colors with silvery details. Overall color tone is less warm. The silvery details are more of a shiny/creamy color very similar to mother of pearls, you‘d really need to see them in person.

Top to bottom: Jax Havana, Ascari Agar, Enzo Granite

B2420F67-657C-4E97-9DF2-BD7095E7C59B.jpeg 76045DB0-5005-420A-BBB1-9758563E2686.jpeg 09B589EF-46CA-4FD5-A2D9-440E77A15672.jpeg 1A9443EA-7156-4F99-9FE0-395C050A410E.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr Jay

Reaction score
I just received my first pair of JMM's from Seen opticians in Manchester and am so disappointed. I bought the Torino in Tempest. I asked if they had a box-fresh pair and they said that they had two pairs, one of which was box-fresh but that my order would be delayed. I said this was fine.

When I opened them today I found scratches all along the inside of one of the arms, speaking of the arms - they are so loose that they rattle, also if you push slightly on the frames you can feel and hear the lenses pop within them, the certificate of authenticity was missing (I'm assuming if they have another pair that they have no idea which certificate goes with which pair), and their website advertises that they come with a hard case but they arrived in a soft case. Finally, there is what appears to be makeup/dirt caught in the corrugated plastic at the end of the arms.

Some of you may think this is all nit-picky, but £590 is such a lot of money for me to drop on a pair of sunglasses. The rattling arms and lenses really bother me. I get that I can tighten the screws in the arms but that's not the point. I'm assuming that rattling arms and lenses is not normal in terms of JMM's arriving brand new?

Sorry to hear that ?

While being nit-picky on $600 spectacles would be perfectly fine, I don't think you are being so because those are really macroscopic flaws that you should never encounter on new glasses, regardless of price.

The "dirt" that you are referring to is actually sweat + dead skin cells that get trapped in that corrugated part as you wear the glasses and when you put on/take off them. So that's a clear red flag for a non box-fresh pair. I am not implying that the optician sent you used glasses, just that they may have been tried on a lot. That would explain the loose arms as well.

Mr Jay

Reaction score
They‘re really quite different. I took some pictures to compare Hanvana, Agar & Granite.

Agar to me is like a darker shade compared to Havana, similar brownish/reddish color just darker. One of my favorite frame colors.

Granite leans more into a mix of even darker dark brown colors with silvery details. The silvery details ares more of a shiny/creamy color very similar to mother of pearls, you‘d really need to see them in person.

View attachment 1741605

Granite is such an outstanding color ?

Reactions: epX

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Granite leans more into a mix of even darker dark brown colors with silvery details. Overall color tone is less warm. The silvery details are more of a shiny/creamy color very similar to mother of pearls, you‘d really need to see them in person.

View attachment 1741605 View attachment 1741609 View attachment 1741613 View attachment 1741611

Thanks for this. You might have convinced me!

Argyle seems to be lighter than any of those you pictured, so Granite or even Agar wouldn’t be too repetitive if I got one as a pair of sunglasses where my Argyle is for optical.

Reactions: epX

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've used Hicks Brunson a few months ago and was happy with them. Daniel Brunson was really friendly and responsive and I think they did a good job on a pair of Eyevans I sent them. I'll probably use them again.

When I was looking at places who would do the service, the shop I bought the glasses from said they would do it for me and really screwed it up. I asked for titanium pads, which they said they could do at first and then when I came in to pick them up they said they couldn't use titanium pads and put on silicone instead. They also used two different length posts (!) and when I pointed it out he told me it looked that way but was an optical illusion (I measured it and it was not). On top of that, they didn't remove any material from the original acetate pads so the new silicone pads just sat on top of them and looked super bulky. When the dealers saw that I was not satisfied w/ the result, he removed them and later Hicks Brunson pointed out to me he had drilled one of the holes straight through the frame and cracked it slightly in another place. It's not that noticeable from the front unless you're staring intently into my eyes for long periods of time, as people do, but it's a real bummer for sure. To be fair, when I contacted the original shop again politely pointing out the damage they had done and how disappointed I was, the owner just straight up gave me a new pair of Eyevans in a different color to make up for it, which I don't think a lot of people would have done.

Brunson was able to use one of the holes the prior shop had put in (though the first shop used posts with two drill holes and Brunson uses one, so there's still an unused hole on each side of my frame now on the inside) and removed the extra unused material on the nose. Those frames used to sit lower on my face than I'd like and my eyelashes were constantly brushing against the lens, but now I vastly prefer the fit. I didn't post pictures of the job, though, as the original job made the whole thing look pretty sloppy at a micro level, though I think Brunson was able to clean it up as best they could. I'll prob be doing it on the other pair I have, though I'd like to see the work on a non-screwed up pair before I'd commit to using a beloved JMM. It's kinda like judging a coverup tattoo and not having a standalone piece to go by maybe.

One thing I'll also mention is that putting metal nose pads on a heavy frame I think will make it wear even heavier. When I had the weight dispersed through a larger acetate pad I barely felt them, but with two smaller points it concentrates the load onto two smaller points. With lighter/medium weight frames it's not a big deal, but on a bulky frame I think it would be fairly noticeable. My Eyevan frames also have a bevel on the inside of the frame, which Brunson was unable to recreate when removing the bridge material, but what they did still looks pretty clean to me. If I get the other frames done I'll post some pics of them.

Hope that helps.

Mr Jay

Reaction score
When I was looking at places who would do the service, the shop I bought the glasses from said they would do it for me and really screwed it up. I asked for titanium pads, which they said they could do at first and then when I came in to pick them up they said they couldn't use titanium pads and put on silicone instead. They also used two different length posts (!) and when I pointed it out he told me it looked that way but was an optical illusion (I measured it and it was not). On top of that, they didn't remove any material from the original acetate pads so the new silicone pads just sat on top of them and looked super bulky.

Talk about quality work! Crazy ?

One thing I'll also mention is that putting metal nose pads on a heavy frame I think will make it wear even heavier. When I had the weight dispersed through a larger acetate pad I barely felt them, but with two smaller points it concentrates the load onto two smaller points. With lighter/medium weight frames it's not a big deal, but on a bulky frame I think it would be fairly noticeable.

Absolutely right. In fact, you rarely see any bulky acetate glasses with nose pads. For non-bulky JMMs I'd go with the OG modification below

JMM_mod.png

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The granite color basically looks like a granite kitchen countertop, but certainly in a good and unique way. Likely would have preferred that one over the eclipse.

Paulinuhhh

Reaction score
So…I know I said I pretty much can’t wear acetate frames but a stockist near me has a pair of Taos in hickory in stock which I’m going to try on later today. If they fit my nose okay, this may be an early birthday gift for myself. The thing is, I’m also loving the Taos in chocolate. I guess I’m OMW down the rabbit hole now…?

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So…I know I said I pretty much can’t wear acetate frames but a stockist near me has a pair of Taos in hickory in stock which I’m going to try on later today. If they fit my nose okay, this may be an early birthday gift for myself. The thing is, I’m also loving the Taos in chocolate. I guess I’m OMW down the rabbit hole now…?
I love the Taos in hickory. I just bought a hickory frame myself. Let us know how it goes.

BigRed

Reaction score

You’re not in Houston are you? ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads