• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

MícheálfromCDM

Reaction score
Have you guys seen the new Balzac? I am so sold on these. I am only worried they might be a little small.

View attachment 1737786
View attachment 1737787
View attachment 1737788
They are 48 mm, which for the shape is generously sized. The once ubiquitous OP Gregory Peck is a similar shape, so a comparison may help. The original iteration of the Gregory Peck was 45 mm, the medium size is 47 mm, and the large size is 50 mm (which I find best used as a sunglass).

My apologies for not including bridge size, I don’t know them off the top of my head, but I think just having the lens width may help you out.

Last edited:

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

MícheálfromCDM

Reaction score
El Dorado (recalls the rimless eyewear of the 1920s/30s)
Duke (has that ‘70’s vibe)
Bandit (a more progressive modern take)

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last Frontier in Milan.
D9867D50-B975-43B6-9F40-38CB1939FB63.jpeg

LeBeef

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to thank @bry2000 @ColdinMN @elisiX @dieworkwear and @d4nimal for responding with advice to my question a couple weeks back on local stores vs online. Turns out the most easily accessible shop for me was the JMM store on Abbot Kinney and I was able to take a glorious 30 minutes to myself and swing by the other day. The store itself is wonderful and the staff were super nice in letting me try on a few things. I felt a little sheepish because I just wanted to look at and try on everything, but also didn’t want to waste their time knowing I’d probably want to do more thinking before committing to a pair. After combing through this thread and handling the glasses in person, I’m pretty sure I’ll be getting a pair in the near future. I want something a little eccentric without being too out there, so I’ve narrowed it down so far to Domoto (noir or argyle) and Fumio (noir). I didn’t know about the Insley yet, so didn’t ask to see if they had it in stock. I saw it while browsing 1269’s site and it looked interesting. As an aside, how come 1269 is able to offer their JMM’s below retail?

One question as I plan out my purchase — has anyone gotten their prescription filled at JMM directly? I’d be buying for optical and had always just gone to my local vsp optician or Costco. Does filling at JMM offer any advantage? I’d probably go for straight optical, or maybe transition if I choose the Domoto.

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy to have helped. I’m super new to JMM also, and despite jumping in head first, I’m still exited to learn more and see the different options people are considering. Best of luck finding the one for you!

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I want to thank @bry2000 @ColdinMN @elisiX @dieworkwear and @d4nimal for responding with advice to my question a couple weeks back on local stores vs online. Turns out the most easily accessible shop for me was the JMM store on Abbot Kinney and I was able to take a glorious 30 minutes to myself and swing by the other day. The store itself is wonderful and the staff were super nice in letting me try on a few things. I felt a little sheepish because I just wanted to look at and try on everything, but also didn’t want to waste their time knowing I’d probably want to do more thinking before committing to a pair. After combing through this thread and handling the glasses in person, I’m pretty sure I’ll be getting a pair in the near future. I want something a little eccentric without being too out there, so I’ve narrowed it down so far to Domoto (noir or argyle) and Fumio (noir). I didn’t know about the Insley yet, so didn’t ask to see if they had it in stock. I saw it while browsing 1269’s site and it looked interesting. As an aside, how come 1269 is able to offer their JMM’s below retail?

One question as I plan out my purchase — has anyone gotten their prescription filled at JMM directly? I’d be buying for optical and had always just gone to my local vsp optician or Costco. Does filling at JMM offer any advantage? I’d probably go for straight optical, or maybe transition if I choose the Domoto.
So much better to shop for eyewear in person. You will ultimately save time and make better decisions.

As far as eccentric styles, the Domoto (and the round version called the Shozo) and Fumio are probably the most eccentric opticals from the current collection.

The Insley is a subdued, more conservative frame. It also might be a bit small for you, but you should try it if it interests you.

Last edited:

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
I’ve been asking my du about the Balzacs and yes we’re a bunch of teenagers….the jokes just write themselves fellas

Very interesting frames

Beauregards are still my favorite non acetate frame and my favorite overall. Followed closely by the 69s giggity

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friend Mike wears a similar pair
images (36).jpeg

michael-caine-archdezart_15-732x1024.jpg

34445078_10160548111195249_9072554694047432704_n.jpg

this pair and topic of convo are remarkably applicable:

Last edited:

justinpledger

Reaction score
Hello JMM fans,

I need to ask for some advice, if I may. I am looking to buy my first pair of JMM sunglasses (and perhaps optical frames in the near future.) The issue is that I really struggle to find frames that fit me perfectly on the bridge of my nose. I have never found one. I have tried several JMM frames - the Mollino, the wide Mollino, the Dealan and so on. I have narrowed it down to one - the Torino. But even with this model, there is a tiny gap. And I wanted to ask other people's thoughts here. I have zoomed the photo in as tight as possible so that the gap is clear. These were very comfortable to try on and are definitely the best fit but I've heard conflicting advice - some say there should be a small gap so the frame isn't resting so completely on the bridge and some say that the bridge should be perfectly shaped to your nose.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom? Do you think these are ok?

Thank you for any help!

J

Attachments

• IMG_5937.JPG
    IMG_5937.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_5938.JPG
    IMG_5938.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5939.JPG
    IMG_5939.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 106

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads