• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

dsk321

Reaction score
Turkey Day Post - Frame Try-On Session V3.0

View attachment 1709966

Stopped into my local JMM dealer again yesterday for the first time in a while and had some fun perusing their latest stock. Took some vids and pictures, some w/ frames I was interested in and others as they were just handed to me as I'm sure someone might like those models here. Was a bit disappointed also to find out that some of the more exclusive models they are marking up (some <$1000 MSRP up to as high as $1600 or $2800), though most are going at list. Weird thing is that some of the ones they marked up you can just buy other places :paranoia:. The other interesting news was that you can indeed use a Flex Spending Account to cover costs on prescription frames (this is not new info), but it was strongly hinted at that they could mark non-prescription frames to qualify for FSA reimbursement. Please don't spread this around as I don't want to get them in trouble or mess up a good thing, though.

I have a couple old post in the thread where I also showed some pics and vids of frames from store visits and the trunk show, some same, some different (this video playlist should have most of the frames I've tried but I'm not sure if it's visible to the public). I have pics as well I might add in, but I think the videos do a better job of showing what things look like on the face (links are either in title or numbered). Anyways, here are the latest models I tried on and thoughts.

General impressions - a lot of the bigger, bolder frames can be pretty severe in black/darker colors, but soften a lot in lighter shades. In particular, green Rover and Army I think are fantastic and make every frame look great, especially on faces. The argyle in person is also nuts. Marine is very dark matte blue, almost black in person - it's ok. They also had some frames in an exclusive light blue clear color from the Venice Beach JMM store I don't really care for (above). Pasolini was in the back in the boss' office, but I'm sure they marked it up like crazy.

Walker - 1, 2, 3 - TBH I'm not a big fan of long rectangular type of frames, so you have to take my preference into account, though I think the Walker is one of the better versions of this around. Maybe it's the rounded edges. The walker in clear looks like expensive safety glasses.

Kaine - Pretty big, square frame. Cool, but a bit too angular for my tastes.

Kobo - 1, 2 - My first impression of the Kobo was that it was silly cool in a way that would never suit me and most people, but then Derek incepted me with the thought that they look good on me. I've really come around on them now, esp in an optical lens or light tint. Still not my first choice probably, but I think the Havana is great. The brown (hickory? root beer?) version piques my interest as well.

Ichikawa - The Ichis are a really cool frame, I think a slightly better evolution of the Fellini proportion wise. I already own a different frame (Clyfford) in the same general shape, but I really like them. If they ever made them in a lighter color it'd be hard to pass up for me. This is another frame they had marked up in store like 2x.

Yves - 1, 2 - I don't think I ever tried on the Yves before because I assumed the 55mm would be gargantuan on me and didn't like the size of the Enzos I've tried in the past. Now I don't know. My first impression of these was surprisingly good, esp in the Rover as an optical or light sunglasses. I own the Taos in Army green, which is a similar big frame vibe, so I'd be interested to try the Root Beer brown version or the upcoming argyle and black fade on the site up for preorder right now. Am I wrong, though? I've heard a lot of people mention it eats their faces.

Fellini - 1, 2 - The Fellinis are an instant "classic" frame for JMM. Really approachable while also being somewhat of a statement piece. Argyle is a killer. The noir comparison really highlights the difference between a dark frame and lighter color, as well.

Zephirin - Another crowd favorite, esp as an gateway optical frame to the JMM brand. I can def see why so many people like them as they're original without being too out there. If I didn't already have a number of more average-ly sized opticals, I could see getting into these.

Molino/55 - 1, 2, 3 - I've said previously I don't really care for the Molino frame, as it's fairly long rectangular and a little generic. Here's a Molino 55 (though not sure if they're all 55s?). I dunno, I was kinda rushing through the Molinos to spend time on other things.

Arshile - The Arshile's been mentioned by a few guys here as a good optical frame, which I completely agree with. The bottom front lens geometry is nice, similar to Last Frontier Rawlins in a good way. I really dislike the gap at the temple hinge, though. I think Nackymade does something similar and I didn't care for it there either.

Prudhon - Another frame recently mentioned here as an optical, I think Derek has it? I don't love it on myself (the rectangular thing probably), but I do agree it's pretty approachable and would work well on most guys.

Bacall - This is a "womens" frame, though I think a lot of their labeled womens frames work really well as unisex (including the Rivoli, which I linked in a prior post). I actually like it better than either the Arshile, Jax, or the Prudhon, but it's a matter of preference really.

Sturges - Hickory is a great color, esp for a frame w/ such a strong brow line. I wish they made more frames in that color. I've always wanted to like the Sturges more than I do in person, though, personally.

Dealan - 1, 2 - Another JMM classic, and I really admire the shape from afar, though on my face it's just somewhere in the middle of the pack again. The first one I think is Havana (5?) maybe, the second is argyle.

Loewy - I've tried the Loewy (I think it has a different name now) in darker colors and found it to be quite a severe look on the face. In this Marigold color with the green lenses, though, I really like it, at least in first impressions. Quite surprising as the lens size is pretty small. Would love some opinions. I've come to realize I really love some of the lighter brown/camel/marigold/vintage tort colors and I wish there were more models in them.

So my favorites on the day were the Loewy in marigold and the Yves in Rover, both of which were total surprises to me. Also the FSA fudging thing, which I'm planning on taking full advantage of early next year when my FSA is funded, hopefully on a frame that they won't mark up. Both Yves were selling there way above list, though :confused:, and I wouldn't buy the Yves in a similar color to my Taos in the spirit of diversity.

Anyways, Happy Thanksgiving all, and I hope some of this can be used a reference for people looking forward. At work today and had some down time to put this post together. I often find videos a little more helpful myself more so than static pictures.
I actually think the walkers are great for you, kaine looks good too. Funny the ones with softest and hardest edges were my fav for you, but honestly you can pick any frame easily.

the only things I didn’t think matched were the clear frames but that might just be my bias. I notice for my face and similar skin tone, clears and tan/yellow colors wash out too much.

Valfunde

Reaction score
The collection both in the JMM leather boxes:

DSCF1169.JPG

DSCF1170.JPG

But also I'm selling my Molinos (not pictured above and in the 51 size) for $200 before putting it up on Gra*led for $250 or 300ish. Note: they came with clear lenses and I've since put in prescription that you're gonna need to change out.

Pics:

Edit: Molinos sold!

Last edited:

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1709993

View attachment 1709994

But also I'm selling my Molinos (not pictured above and in the 51 size) for $200 before putting it up on Gra*led for $250 or 300ish. Note: they came with clear lenses and I've since put in prescription that you're gonna need to change out.

Pics:

Really nice and diverse collection. Also that Molino price is great.

Valfunde

Reaction score
Really nice and diverse collection. Also that Molino price is great.
Thanks! Also, your post has got me deliberating over the Dealans. Think all of them, even the Kobo, look pretty good on you. Though I will say I'm not exactly the biggest fan of the Loewy on you.

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Turkey Day Post - Frame Try-On Session V3.0

View attachment 1709966

Stopped into my local JMM dealer again yesterday for the first time in a while and had some fun perusing their latest stock. Took some vids and pictures, some w/ frames I was interested in and others as they were just handed to me as I'm sure someone might like those models here. Was a bit disappointed also to find out that some of the more exclusive models they are marking up (some <$1000 MSRP up to as high as $1600 or $2800), though most are going at list. Weird thing is that some of the ones they marked up you can just buy other places :paranoia:. The other interesting news was that you can indeed use a Flex Spending Account to cover costs on prescription frames (this is not new info), but it was strongly hinted at that they could mark non-prescription frames to qualify for FSA reimbursement. Please don't spread this around as I don't want to get them in trouble or mess up a good thing, though.

I have a couple old post in the thread where I also showed some pics and vids of frames from store visits and the trunk show, some same, some different (this video playlist should have most of the frames I've tried but I'm not sure if it's visible to the public). I have pics as well I might add in, but I think the videos do a better job of showing what things look like on the face (links are either in title or numbered). Anyways, here are the latest models I tried on and thoughts.

General impressions - a lot of the bigger, bolder frames can be pretty severe in black/darker colors, but soften a lot in lighter shades. In particular, green Rover and Army I think are fantastic and make every frame look great, especially on faces. The argyle in person is also nuts. Marine is very dark matte blue, almost black in person - it's ok. They also had some frames in an exclusive light blue clear color from the Venice Beach JMM store I don't really care for (above). Pasolini was in the back in the boss' office, but I'm sure they marked it up like crazy.

Walker - 1, 2, 3 - TBH I'm not a big fan of long rectangular type of frames, so you have to take my preference into account, though I think the Walker is one of the better versions of this around. Maybe it's the rounded edges. The walker in clear looks like expensive safety glasses.

Kaine - Pretty big, square frame. Cool, but a bit too angular for my tastes.

Kobo - 1, 2 - My first impression of the Kobo was that it was silly cool in a way that would never suit me and most people, but then Derek incepted me with the thought that they look good on me. I've really come around on them now, esp in an optical lens or light tint. Still not my first choice probably, but I think the Havana is great. The brown (hickory? root beer?) version piques my interest as well.

Ichikawa - The Ichis are a really cool frame, I think a slightly better evolution of the Fellini proportion wise. I already own a different frame (Clyfford) in the same general shape, but I really like them. If they ever made them in a lighter color it'd be hard to pass up for me. This is another frame they had marked up in store like 2x.

Yves - 1, 2 - I don't think I ever tried on the Yves before because I assumed the 55mm would be gargantuan on me and didn't like the size of the Enzos I've tried in the past. Now I don't know. My first impression of these was surprisingly good, esp in the Rover as an optical or light sunglasses. I own the Taos in Army green, which is a similar big frame vibe, so I'd be interested to try the Root Beer brown version or the upcoming argyle and black fade on the site up for preorder right now. Am I wrong, though? I've heard a lot of people mention it eats their faces.

Fellini - 1, 2 - The Fellinis are an instant "classic" frame for JMM. Really approachable while also being somewhat of a statement piece. Argyle is a killer. The noir comparison really highlights the difference between a dark frame and lighter color, as well.

Zephirin - Another crowd favorite, esp as an gateway optical frame to the JMM brand. I can def see why so many people like them as they're original without being too out there. If I didn't already have a number of more average-ly sized opticals, I could see getting into these.

Molino/55 - 1, 2, 3 - I've said previously I don't really care for the Molino frame, as it's fairly long rectangular and a little generic. Here's a Molino 55 (though not sure if they're all 55s?). I dunno, I was kinda rushing through the Molinos to spend time on other things.

Arshile - The Arshile's been mentioned by a few guys here as a good optical frame, which I completely agree with. The bottom front lens geometry is nice, similar to Last Frontier Rawlins in a good way. I really dislike the gap at the temple hinge, though. I think Nackymade does something similar and I didn't care for it there either.

Prudhon - Another frame recently mentioned here as an optical, I think Derek has it? I don't love it on myself (the rectangular thing probably), but I do agree it's pretty approachable and would work well on most guys.

Bacall - This is a "womens" frame, though I think a lot of their labeled womens frames work really well as unisex (including the Rivoli, which I linked in a prior post). I actually like it better than either the Arshile, Jax, or the Prudhon, but it's a matter of preference really.

Sturges - Hickory is a great color, esp for a frame w/ such a strong brow line. I wish they made more frames in that color. I've always wanted to like the Sturges more than I do in person, though, personally.

Dealan - 1, 2 - Another JMM classic, and I really admire the shape from afar, though on my face it's just somewhere in the middle of the pack again. The first one I think is Havana (5?) maybe, the second is argyle.

Loewy - I've tried the Loewy (I think it has a different name now) in darker colors and found it to be quite a severe look on the face. In this Marigold color with the green lenses, though, I really like it, at least in first impressions. Quite surprising as the lens size is pretty small. Would love some opinions. I've come to realize I really love some of the lighter brown/camel/marigold/vintage tort colors and I wish there were more models in them.

So my favorites on the day were the Loewy in marigold and the Yves in Rover, both of which were total surprises to me. Also the FSA fudging thing, which I'm planning on taking full advantage of early next year when my FSA is funded, hopefully on a frame that they won't mark up. Both Yves were selling there way above list, though :confused:, and I wouldn't buy the Yves in a similar color to my Taos in the spirit of diversity.

Anyways, Happy Thanksgiving all, and I hope some of this can be used a reference for people looking forward. At work today and had some down time to put this post together. I often find videos a little more helpful myself more so than static pictures.
Man, I really want a pair of Ichikawa’s now. Someone hook it up.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
D4animal can pull off most of these frames, wide or narrow. Soft or edged. I really like the Walkers on you, but get it’s completely personal. The Kobos work for you too (and surprisingly I didn’t think they looked bad on me either), but definitely hard to be a daily-type frame if you’re not mostly dressing in that vibe.

Thanks for sharing. I wouldn’t feel comfortable trying on a bunch of frames at a store and taking pics or vids to post. Glad someone else does!

Adroit

Reaction score
TwelveSixtyNine is offering a complementary collectors case (burgundy or green) with a JMM frame purchase. The case is manufactured at the same factory in France as the JMM case and is the exact same quality without the JMM branding.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
D4animal can pull off most of these frames, wide or narrow. Soft or edged. I really like the Walkers on you, but get it’s completely personal. The Kobos work for you too (and surprisingly I didn’t think they looked bad on me either), but definitely hard to be a daily-type frame if you’re not mostly dressing in that vibe.

Thanks for sharing. I wouldn’t feel comfortable trying on a bunch of frames at a store and taking pics or vids to post. Glad someone else does!
Thanks all for the comments and glad you enjoyed them. The guys there are super nice and chill, I asked permission before taking any pictures/videos. True story, was having a great time perusing and on the way out it just slipped out, “I love you guys.

I've thought about this moment a lot over the past 2 days and how I can walk back in there like I never said "I love you" to a store.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TwelveSixtyNine is offering a complementary collectors case (burgundy or green) with a JMM frame purchase. The case is manufactured at the same factory in France as the JMM case and is the exact same quality without the JMM branding.
Ah man I got their eFlyer in my inbox and for a min thought they were doing 20% off JMM. Realized then they weren’t but still tried to add a few to the cart to see ??‍♂️

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the comments and glad you enjoyed them. The guys there are super nice and chill, I asked permission before taking any pictures/videos. True story, was having a great time perusing and on the way out it just slipped out, “I love you guys.

I've thought about this moment a lot over the past 2 days and how I can walk back in there like I never said "I love you" to a store.
Wear something to disguise your appearance so they won’t recognise you next time. Something like a pair of dark sunglasses.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1709993

View attachment 1709994

Pics:

Edit: Molinos sold!

If those Molinos don't work out for whoever picked them up, please let me know. These are exactly what I am looking for.

SimModa

Reaction score
Ah man I got their eFlyer in my inbox and for a min thought they were doing 20% off JMM. Realized then they weren’t but still tried to add a few to the cart to see ??‍♂️

im a bit confused cause I got the same email. Thought it was “sitewide” I guess JMM isn’t included in that discount?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads