• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

Billy Ray Valentine

Reaction score
Yep. I thought it would be good to hear it straight from the horse's mouth, so I emailed them this morning.
Does anyone know exactly why the JMM webstore doesn't always have certain colorways available when they drop? It just gives you the option to find a store.

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know exactly why the JMM webstore doesn't always have certain colorways available when they drop? It just gives you the option to find a store.
Sounds like even they fall foul of their own production time lines. From speaking with a former distributor, they basically will forgo deadlines in favour of quality. Apparently years back Mr Porter did a huge order of around 200 frames and JMM made the deadline with about 30 or so. From speaking with some stores yesterday, they order so far in advance they don't remember what they ordered when it turns up!

Couldn't imagine running a business and not know what stock I am getting and when. I'm curious as to why the JP retailers have got their first. Unless they have travelled less distance from the factory but I don't know if they are assembled and packaged in JP as well. Seems ridiculous for them to cost more than the US retail as well considering they are made there.

Billy Ray Valentine

Reaction score
Sounds like even they fall foul of their own production time lines. From speaking with a former distributor, they basically will forgo deadlines in favour of quality. Apparently years back Mr Porter did a huge order of around 200 frames and JMM made the deadline with about 30 or so. From speaking with some stores yesterday, they order so far in advance they don't remember what they ordered when it turns up!

Couldn't imagine running a business and not know what stock I am getting and when. I'm curious as to why the JP retailers have got their first. Unless they have travelled less distance from the factory but I don't know if they are assembled and packaged in JP as well. Seems ridiculous for them to cost more than the US retail as well considering they are made there.
The quantity portion has me curious as well. If a certain frame is only going to be limited to 250 pairs... Once the web-store sells out and each individual retailer with their portion sells out as well, they will throw that limited pair back up for preorder with an arrival date a few months away. Does that mean they don't initially create the 250 pairs of said limited frame but-only a handful to distribute?

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Exactly. I had asked 1269 about Argyle Kaines since they were in stock and then sold out, but then GSCO got them (and marked them up $150) but nowhere else does. And then they went back to pre-order option with a later date on JMM.
They told me that just because there will be 400 pieces made, doesn't mean they are all made and shipped at the same time, they come in batches. That's why some retailers will have them available and others will have them for pre-order and why certain pairs will sell out but then be back in stock later on. The numbers don't change, they just don't arrive at the same time due to the process. Like they go through 4 weeks of tumbling or whatever - they can't tumble 400 of the same frame at one time.

Billy Ray Valentine

Reaction score
Exactly. I had asked 1269 about Argyle Kaines since they were in stock and then sold out, but then GSCO got them (and marked them up $150) but nowhere else does. And then they went back to pre-order option with a later date on JMM.
They told me that just because there will be 400 pieces made, doesn't mean they are all made and shipped at the same time, they come in batches. That's why some retailers will have them available and others will have them for pre-order and why certain pairs will sell out but then be back in stock later on. The numbers don't change, they just don't arrive at the same time due to the process. Like they go through 4 weeks of tumbling or whatever - they can't tumble 400 of the same frame at one time.
That explains a lot... They must have so many different frames going at once at the factory. Also, means I have to jump on the "limited" pairs once they drop so I don't have to wait for the remaining pairs to be made. And I tend to stay far away from retailers that markup items that are available elsewhere for equal or lesser price.

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I should just pay the extra and get it now. Its only about £25 above UK retail and I can move on with my life!

Facultyofzen

Reaction score
I don't know if I should just pay the extra and get it now. Its only about £25 above UK retail and I can move on with my life!

@ only 50 quid above retail norm, you're getting off lightly compared to us In Oz.

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ only 50 quid above retail norm, you're getting off lightly compared to us In Oz.
Exactly. They are £585 plus postage. Which is about $800. You may as well proxy it from Japan at this rate.

I've been told UK retail is 560 but no idea when they are turning up and will no doubt miss the boat. Only concern is if they don't suit me I cannot return tjem

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI to also confirm from jmms Web support.

Hi Antonio,

It is good to hear from you, I hope that you have been doing well!

The Kobo is set to be live on our website on Tuesday, August 10th. Please find the price per color below:

Noir - $650
Rootbeer - $600
Black Fade - $600
Dark Havana - $650

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Best,
Shaina

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads