• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

Cuttooth

Reaction score
Torino Platinum is a Torino Tempest variant.
Jmm are a marketing masters

This is tough but fair. I think the Platinum is a bit lighter but Tempest looks great and they're similar enough. Aside from that and Reserve, since I don't own any tortoise shell sunglasses I'm looking at Argyle as well.

bbhewee

Reaction score
To those with photochromic/transition lenses, I got offered some 5% to 75/80%. I'm most curious about the 5%, and how clear they are vs normal ones, and whether it's worth to go for more expensive ones?

chimpskibot

Reaction score
JMM is only limited by visibility and not really available stock IMO. My local dealer has three cases of JMM just sitting and all of the rare releases too (Last Reserves, Jagger Cortina, multiple Zepherin, etc). They probably have about 50 pairs on display and I am sure there are other opticians with limited Internet presence with large stocks of JMM too. Oh and they also claimed that once they get new inventory in they “raise” the price of old inventory because it is now more “rare”. To me it seems that JMM has built a brand of exclusivity but most pairs are relatively easy to find.

Udo

Reaction score
To those with photochromic/transition lenses, I got offered some 5% to 75/80%. I'm most curious about the 5%, and how clear they are vs normal ones, and whether it's worth to go for more expensive ones?

I always go with the darkest possible tint. I have gotten so used to it, my eyes hurt from the sun, even on overcast days without photochromatic glasses. It's just so wonderfully relaxing, since you never have to squint anymore.

I made the mistake of getting a gradient lense for my Seberg Havana frame. That beautiful yellow gradient was big part of what made me fall in love with them, so I had that gradient replicated with prescription lenses.

Later I realized that I just can't handle non tinted glasses during the daytime anymore. So now I wear the Sebergs only at night, which is a pretty nice solution as well, since the yellow tint blocks the blue light from screens.

I always end up with the most expensive lenses. I have to wear glasses at all times, so for me it's worth it.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-23 um 15.04.50.png

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else find it annoying that JMM doesn’t list what retailers carry a frame? Seems like it’d be easy for them to do and throw up on the page for the frames as opposed to searching retailers and then going through the retailers site (if they have one).

chimpskibot

Reaction score
Anyone else find it annoying that JMM doesn’t list what retailers carry a frame? Seems like it’d be easy for them to do and throw up on the page for the frames as opposed to searching retailers and then going through the retailers site (if they have one).
It’s all about visibility and the illusion of exclusivity. LOL.

bbhewee

Reaction score
I always go with the darkest possible tint. I have gotten so used to it, my eyes hurt from the sun, even on overcast days without photochromatic glasses. It's just so wonderfully relaxing, since you never have to squint anymore.

I made the mistake of getting a gradient lense for my Seberg Havana frame. That beautiful yellow gradient was big part of what made me fall in love with them, so I had that gradient replicated with prescription lenses.

Later I realized that I just can't handle non tinted glasses during the daytime anymore. So now I wear the Sebergs only at night, which is a pretty nice solution as well, since the yellow tint blocks the blue light from screens.

I always end up with the most expensive lenses. I have to wear glasses at all times, so for me it's worth it.

View attachment 1598386

Cheers. I'm mostly curious to understand how clear exactly 5% tint is vs fully clear, as I would use them as prescriptions too. Sounds from your experience that a slight tint could actually be useful...

Udo

Reaction score
Cheers. I'm mostly curious to understand how clear exactly 5% tint is vs fully clear, as I would use them as prescriptions too. Sounds from your experience that a slight tint could actually be useful...

Before I went full photochromatic I always had a slight tint in my prescription glasses, it was probably 5%, I can't remember exactly. It's a subtle but beautiful effect. It will shade your eyes at least a little, but I mainly did it for aesthetic reasons.

Gradients would be another option:

fc90d0f76b55c015f398b2dc6e498664.jpg

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At this point there is nothing limited about JMM, save the Last Frontier collection (which, we will probably continue to see more of). My du likes to pepper in observations re their rarity when I go to see him. I let him play the part because I respect the hustle.

Which reminds me, I really need to finish Erving Goffman's "The Presentation of Self In Everyday Life".

this limited run game is a great gimmick. I always have trouble trying in the exact pair I want at stores but if I pre-order and wait a little I usually can get what I need.

it makes sense to run that game from a production standpoint. You are never over producing keeping supply limited and demand high. Sounds like a a well executed plan to me.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone stopped me on the street today and was like “I like those glasses...actually your whole look. Are you in a band or something?”

me: “thank you but no, I just like to look like I’m in a band sometimes.”

4D070D39-390A-46FC-89D4-B4FEE15D7080.jpeg

Cuttooth

Reaction score
I decided to give the Shironeri Molino a whirl because the look caught my eye to begin with, so we'll see how those end up looking. I haven't seen the Ichikawa actually posted anywhere other than here so I'm curious when those might be available for preorder.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics