• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Walkers in Royal. Love the color although a little iffy wearing them as I’d consider them a little out there from what I’d normally wear. But I suppose even more reason to keep them. Also didn’t know how I’d like the blue lenses, but I like the hue they put on what I see. Blue skies look really blue. #embracethespectacle
1E8B1403-892A-4146-B388-A7948083BF34.jpeg
C3503B5F-494C-4245-91AC-AACEFE726616.jpeg

Last edited:

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
I am not wearing them anymore so to stay safe in the box until the price reaches 3.000usd. Oh well, may be I will take them for a short walk this coming friday and check eBay afterwards.

Ponlos en eBay por 2,000 a ver que pasa;)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have we already talked about color? I can't remember.

What are people's favorite "non-traditional" colors? Meaning not black or Havana. Ideally, something you own and wear, but happy to discuss stuff you're looking at.

I have a pair of frames in "taupe," which is this brownish gray colorway below. I find it pairs easily with the blue, black, and brown that make up a lot of my wardrobe. Pretty neutral color, but also not "standard." Goes pretty easily with workwear.

I've been eyeing Rover and Surplus, but a little careful of getting frames that end up looking like guys who wear things for a "pop of color." But maybe "pop of color" works for eyewear? Are there wardrobe considerations for this? Skin color? Wardrobe style? Thoughts?
01_429602a8-f37a-4df9-ae26-38cfb8cbc4b8.jpeg

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What are people's favorite "non-traditional" colors? Meaning not black or Havana. Ideally, something you own and wear, but happy to discuss stuff you're looking at.

I have a pair of frames in "taupe," which is this brownish gray colorway below. I find it pairs easily with the blue, black, and brown that make up a lot of my wardrobe. Pretty neutral color, but also not "standard." Goes pretty easily with workwear.

I've been eyeing Rover and Surplus, but a little careful of getting frames that end up looking like guys who wear things for a "pop of color." But maybe "pop of color" works for eyewear? Are there wardrobe considerations for this? Skin color? Wardrobe style? Thoughts?
View attachment 1592438

Reserve for me. The burgundy looks like it would pop, but it's quite subtle on the face (mine anyway).

JMM Saints_Eidos.jpg
JMM Enzo Reserve closeup.png
KS Traveller_JMM Comanche Reserve.jpg

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1592438
Rover is the main one on my "next" list.
It's a rich green that doesn't distract.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like many colours of JMM. The spectrum is inmense. I usually prefer dark tones for autum and winter and lighter ones for spring and specially summer. Of course it depends on the outfit and the setting.
Would love to have the Royal, Walnut, Taupe (first time I see them), and Platinum in my collection. Seed is really cool for summer but I have already some Persols in a similar color.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good question.
It’s funny how back in the eighties I dated a girl who worked in an opticians. The boss had glasses in every colour and would match them to his outfit. Those plastic frames - red to match red tie etc. I remember radio DJ Steve Wright referring to such people as a ‘LOMBARD’ (which stood for ‘ loads of money but a right dick!)

Somehow the JMMs in coloured acetate seem different. I have Molinos in ‘Hunter’ which is a taupe colour similar to those DWW posted above. The reserve is a classy looking burgundy. I love the rover but had Fitz in similar sage and moved them on as they were too close to my Moscots which are a translucent emerald green.

I have wayfarers in red, royal blue, orange, powder blue, metallic teal ...

choosybastard

Reaction score
Hi Gentlemen,
So Sartres Noir finally arrived. What do you think? Do they look better than Molinos on me? I somehow started to leaning to Molinos and almost regretted ordering Sartres. But damn you were right! Sartres seem to be even more suitable for my style. On the other hand, Molinos are definitely more versatile. What do you think? Sartres or Molinos?
sartres1.jpeg
sartres2.jpeg
molinos1.jpeg
molinos2.jpeg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I prefer the Mollinos on you.

I think "oversized" can be a look. Doesn't have to follow some prescriptive idea about proportions. A lot of JMM frames are oversized, but that's also part of their appeal.

You can also try the Fellinis. They're technically the same size as the Mollino, but since the frame angles down a bit more at the bottom, they take up less space.

ahoslpatubep

Reaction score
Hi Gentlemen,
So Sartres Noir finally arrived. What do you think? Do they look better than Molinos on me? I somehow started to leaning to Molinos and almost regretted ordering Sartres. But damn you were right! Sartres seem to be even more suitable for my style. On the other hand, Molinos are definitely more versatile. What do you think? Sartres or Molinos?
View attachment 1592604 View attachment 1592605 View attachment 1592606 View attachment 1592608
I much prefer the Mollinos.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads