• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i also don't actually believe JMM is going to stop making fellini in dark havana or rover or something after their "limited to XXX" sells through. we might have to wait a year or two to see the color again, but i'm sure that "limited to" just means "this run is XXX"

maybe with the collabs or the reserve it's actually "once it's gone it's gone," but the core line stuff will come back at some point, it's too successful not to.
Will be interesting to see what they do in a few years time. For example, I haven’t yet seen a revisit to their Bark Horn colorway released in 2015 which I think is pretty cool. And if they keep riffing on certain colors like black (I mean there’s various noir numbers, Vader, shadow, etc.) and eight (or more) tortoise colors #s1-5, argyle, vintage tort, lava, etc., it might be a while before we see something redone again, if ever.

And I hope they approach it that way for the most part. There are certain styles they’ll have to remake due to popular demand and being a staple. But If something is going to be marketed as limited, it would be disingenuous to release another batch of 500 in a couple of years just because you can.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see what they do in a few years time. For example, I haven’t yet seen a revisit to their Bark Horn colorway released in 2015 which I think is pretty cool. And if they keep riffing on certain colors like black (I mean there’s various noir numbers, Vader, shadow, etc.) and eight (or more) tortoise colors #s1-5, argyle, vintage tort, lava, etc., it might be a while before we see something redone again, if ever.

And I hope they approach it that way for the most part. There are certain styles they’ll have to remake due to popular demand and being a staple. But If something is going to be marketed as limited, it would be disingenuous to release another batch of 500 in a couple of years just because you can.

that's a fair point and i actually really hope that JMM is true to their word about these releases. it would be refreshing and honestly very cool. especially to see what they come up with after the more traditional colors have been all but exhausted.

but i would also not be surprised if another "limited run" of vintage tort or something comes around eventually.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My impression is that they do the same models, but in slightly different colors. I feel like they've done some models in different types of Havana, like the Taos. Whether Havana 1, 2, 3, and 4 are different enough from each other is a subjective call.

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't they done the same frame in the same material with a different lense tint? They could do that forever. If something sells well they're gonna redo it with a similar makeup. However if you pick a more esoteric frame you very well could wind up with the only run, look at a lot of their 2015ish designs

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Designers do this. Raf just did this a few weeks ago.
Visvim does the same. Limited numbers of near enough the same thing each year. I guess the fact that you are forcibly limiting how many units/profit you make, you hold some cache with consumers who like exclusivity. If you do it too many times however, it does undermine the value of the brand somewhat. But then if they were all unique you'd be constantly reinventing the wheel with new designs and in JMMs case increasing production costs by having to make different kit to meet the demands of new pieces.

Facultyofzen

Reaction score
Listening to Jerome speak, I don't believe he is the type of guy to rest on his laurels. He is motivated, fastidious, highly driven and constantly moving forward in order stay ahead of the pack. The interesting part of his interview is how he spends days sifting through the Japanese factory archives of vintage acetate colours.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man I wish I had his job jet setting between L.A. and Wyoming with a French accent and designing sunglasses. Why didn’t I think of frames from 10mm Japanese acetate blocks!! It’s cool, imma use 11mm acetate blocks and blow things up!

John Rain

Reaction score
Visvim does the same. Limited numbers of near enough the same thing each year. I guess the fact that you are forcibly limiting how many units/profit you make, you hold some cache with consumers who like exclusivity. If you do it too many times however, it does undermine the value of the brand somewhat. But then if they were all unique you'd be constantly reinventing the wheel with new designs and in JMMs case increasing production costs by having to make different kit to meet the demands of new pieces.
Also, the limited numbers along with the "Sold Out"s trigger collector minded people like me to hunt and strike for the thrill of winning.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never seen any JMM frames actually sell for over retail

shortly after this thread was created i've seen bunch of tao colorways like root beer go close to 1k on ebay. i sold all of mine except one around the same time and got close to or over retail as well.

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! Fun reward for having good taste. A bit back I sold a watch for double what I paid because the model had been discontinued

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No designer produces an infinite number of units of any model. Most don’t market the number of units produced as a way to induce customers to infer “limited edition” status. Does Margiela publish the number of 5 zip leather jackets each season?

JMM appears to be very much attuned to consumer psychology and capitalizes on it. 500 units of Dealan in Noir somehow gets people going vs simply Dealan in Noir.

Facultyofzen

Reaction score
shortly after this thread was created i've seen bunch of tao colorways like root beer go close to 1k on ebay. i sold all of mine except one around the same time and got close to or over retail as well.

Here some Taos on fleebay for $1299.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Listed prices on eBay and Grailed are not a good indication of what things are worth. What you need to look at are the sold item prices for actual market value. I've had sellers try to point to eBay listings as indications of what they think their items should be worth. Just because someone lists a paper clip for $4000 doesn't make it worth that. In addition, Grailed specifically works in such a way that incentivizes sellers to start their listings high, as you can only bump your item so many times without dropping the price (which notifies potential buyers and bumps the item for a 10% drop in price).

I'm not saying JMM won't go for above retail, but as long as you're not wedded to a specific havana model or whatever, there will eventually be like 10 different havanas which you'll be able to buy at retail during different cycles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads