• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me in this thread

FwaTz1.gif

Last edited:

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just 'cause I feel like resurrecting a part of this thread and throwing some additional complication, there are actually two sizes of the Batman style hard case...

IMG_3682.jpg

The larger one on top (which seems more common) came with the Hickory Molino pair that I purchased from Atelier Mira. I also got these with my first two Comanches. The smaller Batman case arrived recently with my third pair of Comanches that I purchased directly from JMM. I received the leather sleeves with the rest of my pairs.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, so I've realized that the Comanche is (thus far) my favorite JMM model. I'm thinking I'll buy the fourth style of Comanche to eventually turn into a fancy-shmancy pair of reading glasses.
I like to imagine you have like one specific use for each pair.

Car pair
Going out pair
Pooping pair
etc

man-pilot-glasses-sitting-on-1425888.jpg

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, so I've realized that the Comanche is (thus far) my favorite JMM model. I'm thinking I'll buy the fourth style of Comanche to eventually turn into a fancy-shmancy pair of reading glasses.
I stated earlier that clubmasters and their ilk look good on some people but I never liked them for myself.
I do really like the look of more squared off Comanches. On the JMM website the reserve looks really red and the lenses really blue which looks great. Then I saw your pic and it may have just been the light but the reserve looked really dark red and the blue lenses more grey then blue.
I’ll have to wait to see a pair in real life before I consider adding them to my wish list.

JDelage

Reaction score
I love Clubmasters, but I think the Apache are the best looking model for that style.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stated earlier that clubmasters and their ilk look good on some people but I never liked them for myself.
I do really like the look of more squared off Comanches. On the JMM website the reserve looks really red and the lenses really blue which looks great. Then I saw your pic and it may have just been the light but the reserve looked really dark red and the blue lenses more grey then blue.
I’ll have to wait to see a pair in real life before I consider adding them to my wish list.

The Reserve on the Comanches definitely comes of dark red, almost brown, possibly due to the smaller acetate portions. The dark blue is not as vibrant as the photos from the website, though they are blue.

The Reserve-blue is a great combo, but if you're on the fence, definitely try them on first or make sure the store has a good return policy if buying online, especially since you're not a fan of clubmasters.

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Reserve on the Comanches definitely comes of dark red, almost brown, possibly due to the smaller acetate portions. The dark blue is not as vibrant as the photos from the website, though they are blue.

The Reserve-blue is a great combo, but if you're on the fence, definitely try them on first or make sure the store has a good return policy if buying online, especially since you're not a fan of clubmasters.
Yeah that’s what I’ll do.
It’s too bad that despite JMM have some really outrageous stuff but then at times they err on the side of being too conservative.
I’m looking forward to Dealans in royal blue but have a fear that they’ll turn out to be a dour dark navy when I’d much prefer a more vibrant brighter blue.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Gun to head you can only keep one pair of JMM which one you guys keeping?

I have to be real here, love the acetate frames but my all time favorite is the Beauregards in Altan

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have to be real here, love the acetate frames but my all time favorite is the Beauregards in Altan

Going from recent personal experience I have the best answer to this question. Grabbed my Saints in Havana (which used to be yours!) and left my Dealans

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Similar vein to your choice - my Comanches in Reserve.

photograft

Reaction score
Oof. This is really tough honestly. I only buy frames that I feel very strongly about. Most likely I’d have to say my Kilpatricks (especially because of the lenses I have in them with the blue/silver gradient mirror), but I am absolutely smitten with the vintage tort Ascaris. Whereas the Kilpatricks are basically a fancier version of Dita Flight .006s, the Ascari (especially in Vintage Tort), feels like a wholly unique frame. And the depth of that color when the late afternoon light hits it is just mesmerizing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads