• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

Jaymig926

Reaction score
Molino in shadow love these, but I love them all !

Attachments

• FB1737C1-148E-406E-81D4-688C7D9BF676.jpeg
    FB1737C1-148E-406E-81D4-688C7D9BF676.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 355

Jaymig926

Reaction score
I Agree, that’s why I went with the shadow just brings an interest to the frame and the silver pops in the black

Last edited:

Jaymig926

Reaction score
If no one minds my ugly mug here are the Taos in Root Beer. picked them up from Hopper Goods beginning of summer. I always get compliments when I have these on.

Attachments

• 9DBD71DA-4DE7-427F-AA57-9B51E3F9D6DE.jpeg
    9DBD71DA-4DE7-427F-AA57-9B51E3F9D6DE.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 346

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I visited a JMM dealer in Tampa. He has a ton of options - many with clear glass for prescriptions but he can easily convert. A load of other nice shades from other brands too. It seems that a lot of his styles may have been older - colours and shapes that I haven’t seen so much on this thread or the JMM website.
In the past I tried on some Deleans. They were A/S hickory, in two shops in the Boca Raton area one pair was around $650, another around $850. I passed as I found them to look too big on me.

Funny how this can change with a change of colour. From the several pairs I tried, I liked a pair of Deleans the best which were a light and dark grey sorta zebra stripe with both shiny and Matt surfaces. I haven’t seen these anywhere else, so don’t even know what JMM calls this. They hit that sweet spot for me in having a somewhat familiar wayfarer-ish shape but aside from the chunky acetate, having a colour / pattern that sets them apart from “glasses for the masses” as I heard one SA refer to Ray Ban et al. (Full disclosure - I have several pairs of Ray Bans and now look upon them as a ‘gateway drug!!)
Anyway these grey zebra stripe Deleans had a ridiculously feint tint that would be useless in the Florida sun so he said he’d put a dark tint in. It turned out he didn’t have plain tints so fitted me up with some nice grey polarized lenses.

I hate the way iPhone selfie close-ups make it look like I have an asymmetrical face and no ears but here are a few quick and dirty pics: Delean in - whatever they call that, and Fitzgerald in Yellowstone sage.

I’ve got to keep away from that shop!
CBE1ED00-26DF-4C43-8D43-A09E63DD5FC8.jpeg
C4687946-CF4D-4F61-9310-71E0C40BC240.jpeg
240C4E81-88D6-4093-A58E-EC0DBB8BB278.jpeg
2901A6AA-293E-4AC4-B7C9-4E85C097D48D.jpeg

photograft

Reaction score
The "Zebra" pattern is meant to mimic the look of buffalo horn glasses.

I wonder if JMM would ever dabble with frames made from actual Water Buffalo Horn..

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "Zebra" pattern is meant to mimic the look of buffalo horn glasses.

I wonder if JMM would ever dabble with frames made from actual Water Buffalo Horn..
Cheers - anyone know what JMM call it?

Buffalo horn would appeal to those with a nostalgic yearning but I think this may be one of those cases where new technology and materials are in fact better than traditional. More robust, easier to work, less maintenance etc.

photograft

Reaction score
Buffalo Horn has it's advantages. It's much lighter and stiffer for it's size. I was actually astonished by how light and solid a buffalo horn pair of Morgenthal Frederick's felt. But I agree the price for JMM Horn frames would be otherworldly

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can get water buffalo frames for as low as $50 or so. I don't the material itself is particularly expensive. I've seen natural horn buffalo frames come out of China and Vietnam for pretty cheap.

The only truly expensive eyewear material that I know of is real tortoiseshell because of regulations. Those are also sold in Japan and France, but at a very high premium.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my Molinos back today.
The SoCal lab I found was great.
There was a pair of Dark Havana Fellinis sitting there waiting to be done.
$125 for standard Transitions, I upgraded to 1.67 for $185.
My local AD quoted me $485 for standard.

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers - anyone know what JMM call it?

Buffalo horn would appeal to those with a nostalgic yearning but I think this may be one of those cases where new technology and materials are in fact better than traditional. More robust, easier to work, less maintenance etc.

they just call it buffalo. I have a pair of them in the Jax frame.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads