• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was waiting for my du to publicly announce the afore-mentioned JMM trunk show before sharing, however he didn't send out any kind of email blast. I just contacted him and he said he does have a couple slots still open, so if you're in NYC:

Anthony Aiden's on St. Mark's in the East Village
Monday, 09/20
Slots are between 12-6 ET (I believe)

You can given him a call or email if you're interested.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So when's the Styleforum x JMM group buy/MTO :redface:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure why its taken me so long to jump in here. Ive had the 1962's and the Bandits. While both excellent I learned that I personally dont gravitate to metal frames. Something about them is just harsher on my skin/ears and my knee jerk reaction was to go for my Cutler and Gross or Persol acetates. Probably just a personal preference.

Recently picked up the Saint from @RegisDB9 so im excited to take my first step into JMM chunky acetate. Was lucky enough to be at a collection preview in the city and have tried on most every pair so I have a good idea of what works for me.

I really like the organic feeling shape of the asymmetric rectangle.

Thinking about making them transition lenses. Never had transitions before. Anyone with personal experience have thoughts? Do you think this model suits itself to being clear rx at moments?

s-l1600.jpg

photograft

Reaction score
Not sure why its taken me so long to jump in here. Ive had the 1962's and the Bandits. While both excellent I learned that I personally dont gravitate to metal frames. Something about them is just harsher on my skin/ears and my knee jerk reaction was to go for my Cutler and Gross or Persol acetates. Probably just a personal preference.

Recently picked up the Saint from @RegisDB9 so im excited to take my first step into JMM chunky acetate.

Thinking about making them transition lenses. Never had transitions before. Anyone with personal experience have thoughts? Do you think this model suits itself to being clear rx at moments?

View attachment 1461222
I was actually debating getting that exact frame and putting a Transitions Xtra-Active Brown lens in it.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Recently picked up the Saint from @RegisDB9 so im excited to take my first step into JMM chunky acetate. Was lucky enough to be at a collection preview in the city and have tried on most every pair so I have a good idea of what works for me.

View attachment 1461222
As much as I love wayfarer-ish frames it’s you put clear glass in them you’ll look like Austin Powers. Is that what you’re going for? Add a band aid on the bridge for extra birth control.
A few of the lads in this thread seem to lean towards transitions lenses so they can comment more on this but remember transitions don’t transit in the car so if you’re planning on wearing them for driving they’re rubbish on a sunny day and you’ll need Botox to smooth out the permanent skin crinkles you’ll get from squinting!

photograft

Reaction score
The saint doesn't look very Wayfarer to me. It's a much shorter lens, more rectangular. The saint is actually offered in their optical line as well as their sun line. Also Transitions Xtra-Active do darken somewhat behind the wheel. You can also look into Transitions Drivewear which is specifically made for use in the car

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a nondriving, Austin Powers wannabee, these sound like the move.

Comedian Natascha Leggero used to hire an Austin Power's impersonator to attend the parties she hosted. Adjacent side note one of my favorite people, Todd Glass, once hired two older actors to play his parents for a party.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

View attachment 1461222

I have transition lenses. I don't know if it's just the shop I use (it's an eyewear store connected to a Kaiser medical center), but the glasses have a very faint tint to them. I don't know if they came like this at first. When I borrowed UrbanComp's glasses, which have transitional lenses, they were perfectly clear indoors. Mine are a very, very subtle shade of grey indoors -- barely percetible, but there -- and then dark grey outside.

I vaguely remember someone telling me on here that transitional lenses age like this, and I also vaguely remember hearing this at the eyewear center. I can't remember when I had these lenses filled, but I want to say two years ago? When I got them, I figured, "well I kinda want to try the lightly tinted look anyway." But now looking back, I wish I just went with clear lenses (since I mainly use them as regular lenses).

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have transition lenses. I don't know if it's just the shop I use (it's an eyewear store connected to a Kaiser medical center), but the glasses have a very faint tint to them. I don't know if they came like this at first. When I borrowed UrbanComp's glasses, which have transitional lenses, they were perfectly clear indoors. Mine are a very, very subtle shade of grey indoors -- barely percetible, but there -- and then dark grey outside.

I vaguely remember someone telling me on here that transitional lenses age like this, and I also vaguely remember hearing this at the eyewear center. I can't remember when I had these lenses filled, but I want to say two years ago? When I got them, I figured, "well I kinda want to try the lightly tinted look anyway." But now looking back, I wish I just went with clear lenses (since I mainly use them as regular lenses).
Could be that it's because it's an older version. But is it possible they are the extra-active? Those get darker than standard, but also don't get as clear.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Could be that it's because it's an older version. But is it possible they are the extra-active? Those get darker than standard, but also don't get as clear.

Don't know. But that could be it. I got these filled so long ago.

Kyle at NMWA has a pair of Moscots that look super cool on him. They have a light tint. But they're huge, metal eyewear frames and just suit him and the style of eyewear. I guess, looking back, if I were to do this again, I would think harder about whether a faint tint suits a style of eyewear. I think it does for some frames better than others.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads