• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unrelated the convo above, but I recently learned that -- at least at my local JMM retailer in California -- you can get around sales tax if you remove the tinted lenses (maybe people already know this)

Basically, if they sell the frames to you with tinted lenses, they're considered sunglasses, which are taxable.

If the frames are sold with regular plastic lenses, they're considered medical devices, which are not taxable.

Of course, if you're going to use these as regular sunglasses, then you'll need the tinted lenses. But if you're going to swap out the lenses anyway for prescription lenses -- whether as regular eyewear or sunglasses -- then you may as well ask them to remove the lenses and save on sales tax. On a pair of JMM frames, that can be about fifty bucks.

Realize this may be well-known info, but it was new to me when I learned about it.

my AD doesn’t tax them if you have purchased before

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have any of you used Good See Co to change the lenses?
On their product page there's always the option to chose polarized lenses, im assuming they swap them before they ship the frames, but the prices seem good.
$120 for polarized zeiss.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wow, did you guys see this?

jmm.png

photograft

Reaction score
Have to be honest, the first time I saw the Ascari’s I really had flashbacks to those 3D glasses

Valfunde

Reaction score
Have any of you used Good See Co to change the lenses?
On their product page there's always the option to chose polarized lenses, im assuming they swap them before they ship the frames, but the prices seem good.
$120 for polarized zeiss.
Have one frame with them and still waiting to see how it is. They do things in-house but send their lenses out for AR. Did several options so it's gonna be a while since apparently the lab that does their AR is...swamped? I don't know.

Waiting since August 2nd. Will report back whenever they come back. For just polarized lenses I think you'll be good though.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Enzo in Amber came in, and the mottling is definitely more pronounced than the Havana. That said, I think the highlights would look good with some outfits, like camel/tan tops. As soon as the temperature drops a bit I'll take a pic with them.

Regarding the shape itself, I love it. Wide, chunky, but tapering downward. It has angular presence without looking too obnoxious like the Hemmings.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unrelated the convo above, but I recently learned that -- at least at my local JMM retailer in California -- you can get around sales tax if you remove the tinted lenses (maybe people already know this)

Basically, if they sell the frames to you with tinted lenses, they're considered sunglasses, which are taxable.

If the frames are sold with regular plastic lenses, they're considered medical devices, which are not taxable.

Of course, if you're going to use these as regular sunglasses, then you'll need the tinted lenses. But if you're going to swap out the lenses anyway for prescription lenses -- whether as regular eyewear or sunglasses -- then you may as well ask them to remove the lenses and save on sales tax. On a pair of JMM frames, that can be about fifty bucks.

Realize this may be well-known info, but it was new to me when I learned about it.
Scandalous!!
I just fired off an email to my dealer asking for an explanation.
I was taxed.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Scandalous!!
I just fired off an email to my dealer asking for an explanation.
I was taxed.

I probably wouldn't ask for a tax exemption if it was a store, like a fashion boutique, since I assume it would be too much of a hassle for them to deal with these nuances. But if it was a specialized eyewear boutique, I'd ask before buying, at least.

It also apparently varies by state. And from my very brief reading, it seems like the way the rules are set up, some stores may treat the tax differently. Seems like stores in California are taxed and it's up to them whether they want to pass that tax onto the consumer. (Not an accountant, so you know, take my interpretation with a big pinch of salt)

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I probably wouldn't ask for a tax exemption if it was a store, like a fashion boutique, since I assume it would be too much of a hassle for them to deal with these nuances. But if it was a specialized eyewear boutique, I'd ask before buying, at least.

It also apparently varies by state. And from my very brief reading, it seems like the way the rules are set up, some stores may treat the tax differently. Seems like stores in California are taxed and it's up to them whether they want to pass that tax onto the consumer. (Not an accountant, so you know, take my interpretation with a big pinch of salt)

Too late...
I already told them I'm lawyer'd up.
One of the Styfo Esquires will no doubt show me some pro-bono.

( it was Goodsee btw )

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here have the Schindler and have any pics and can comment on fit? I think it’s a medium size. Wonder if it would work for a typical wide...

Also I know you just need to try things on, but do you tend to find as far as overall width, glasses with a smaller lens measurement but wider bridge if numerically close to another pair with larger lens size but smaller bridge can fit similarly, or does that wider bridge (say 5mm) make a big difference as to whether it sits on your nose well or not and is wide enough for your face?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads