• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

JDelage

Reaction score
Being a model must be like being a criminal lawyer: you shouldn't think too hard about what you wear in the first case, who you defend in the other.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s crazy to me is this dude woke up one morning and said he wants to pursue modeling or someone actually told him he should be a model. Good for him I guess. He’s in GQ and not me.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s crazy to me is this dude woke up one morning and said he wants to pursue modeling or someone actually told him he should be a model. Good for him I guess. He’s in GQ and not me.
My mate’s stepson is the most geeky, socially awkward, snaggle toothed, pasty faced, long streak of piss you can imagine. Left school last year, zero qualifications, experience, ambition or drive. Sleeps in till the afternoon and plays video games all night. The lad’s Mam (my mate’s wife) does some work setting up photo shoots so has some contacts. She got some pics of him and passed them round, next thing he’s all expenses paid to go to Paris fashion week. He earns 10, 20, 30 grand modelling here and there in Europe then comes home and sleeps all day. My mate, who is struggling for work since Covid, is at his wits end trying to motivate the lazy **** but his wife won’t allow any criticism and of course the lad doesn’t contribute to the housekeeping. I told my missus the lad was earning sacks of cash as a model and she laughed out loud. “Who TF wants to see pictures of HIM?”
Takes all sorts eh?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Angular features and pouty lips can make your fortune...
I got approached when I was younger, but it was for Walmart and Target mailers.
I said no.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In high school, I was with my then-GF and her mom having lunch in an upscale-type of outdoor mall - it dubs itself as a "open-air regional lifestyle shopping center," whatever that means. We were approached by an A&F employee, who offered me and my then-GF's mom a job at A&F - but did not offer a job to my then-GF - who then cried. This says more about how her mom looked than her, but still.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In high school, I was with my then-GF and her mom having lunch in an upscale-type of outdoor mall - it dubs itself as a "open-air regional lifestyle shopping center," whatever that means. We were approached by an A&F employee, who offered me and my then-GF's mom a job at A&F - but did not offer a job to my then-GF - who then cried. This says more about how her mom looked than her, but still.
I’m pinning all my modelling aspirations on my little girl. Luckily she takes after the missus.
Strike a pose baby girl - Daddy needs some new shoes ... errr ... ridiculously overpriced sunglasses!!

D5977304-04C9-4B5A-9BBE-8E300B5CE100.jpeg

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

Costco lab kicked my Molinos back.
This sucks.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I scrambled well...
Found a place in the Irvine tech center.
Transitions $125 for regular, $185 for thin.
And they advertise polished edges.

edit:
I asked the rep over the phone if he was familiar with JMM. He said " I just did 5 pairs"

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only got into JMM literally a few weeks ago. It sounds like he has tried and true frames such as the Dealan and likely a bunch others. If something is released in limited numbers like 400 in noir and Havana, do those same colors get re-released in subsequent seasons/ years or is he always doing some variation in color and combos with lenses so they aren’t the same? Or are there “basics” like noir or Havana you see year after year?

photograft

Reaction score
I only got into JMM literally a few weeks ago. It sounds like he has tried and true frames such as the Dealan and likely a bunch others. If something is released in limited numbers like 400 in noir and Havana, do those same colors get re-released in subsequent seasons/ years or is he always doing some variation in color and combos with lenses so they aren’t the same? Or are there “basics” like noir or Havana you see year after year?
Look up Taos Noir 2, Noir 3, Noir 4 etc

ggss09

Reaction score
Not a huge sunglasses person, but picked up my first JMM's (Jax in Green) earlier this year with some tinted prescription lenses and the aesthetic and build quality are great. Dita comes to mind as a comparable, but JMM's acetate is wonderful. Had a hard time deciding between which model to get, but the Jax was within budget and classic enough to go with most of my outfits, yet still something unique due to how thick the frame is all-around.
IMG_3123.jpeg

The glasses are so heavy that they actually hurt my ears after prolonged wear... no complaints though!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unrelated the convo above, but I recently learned that -- at least at my local JMM retailer in California -- you can get around sales tax if you remove the tinted lenses (maybe people already know this)

Basically, if they sell the frames to you with tinted lenses, they're considered sunglasses, which are taxable.

If the frames are sold with regular plastic lenses, they're considered medical devices, which are not taxable.

Of course, if you're going to use these as regular sunglasses, then you'll need the tinted lenses. But if you're going to swap out the lenses anyway for prescription lenses -- whether as regular eyewear or sunglasses -- then you may as well ask them to remove the lenses and save on sales tax. On a pair of JMM frames, that can be about fifty bucks.

Realize this may be well-known info, but it was new to me when I learned about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads