• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Has anybody ordered from Hopper before? Any idea how long it takes in the US?
The only shipping option is 'USPS Ground'.

Jagger_On

Reaction score
Sent these back in the end, just wasn’t 100% comfortable. Hence the original post, I guess. Ordered a pair of Dealan in Havana 4 but the shop reached out to me and said they made a mistake and only had Dealan in Havana 3. What they also did was made me a little video showing them next to the Fellini in Noir. Fellini wasn’t on my radar previously but now have a pair getting delivered tomorrow.

Would still like to try the Dealan in Havana 4 though, if anyone knows of anywhere with them in stock in UK/Europe, please let me know.

Picked up a pair of Zephirin from Mr Porter. I really like them but my other half is saying they are too small for my face. Any thoughts or any other models that might work better for me?

This is probably the best pic I can get.
View attachment 1431180

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a pair of these but I was watching this pair.

Seller just dropped them by over $100. Someone should KOP.

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sent these back in the end, just wasn’t 100% comfortable. Hence the original post, I guess. Ordered a pair of Dealan in Havana 4 but the shop reached out to me and said they made a mistake and only had Dealan in Havana 3. What they also did was made me a little video showing them next to the Fellini in Noir. Fellini wasn’t on my radar previously but now have a pair getting delivered tomorrow.

Would still like to try the Dealan in Havana 4 though, if anyone knows of anywhere with them in stock in UK/Europe, please let me know.

Try Indice.

They may be able to offer 15% off too. May need to message them through IG first, then Whatsapp, but they are an Italian stockist.

Jagger_On

Reaction score
Try Indice.

They may be able to offer 15% off too. May need to message them through IG first, then Whatsapp, but they are an Italian stockist.
Just had a look at their site and there is a pop up for 15% off if you sign up to their newsletter. Fellinis came today and I really like them. Don't think I'm gonna bother ordering the Dealan to compare. Will post pictures in the morning.

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just had a look at their site and there is a pop up for 15% off if you sign up to their newsletter. Fellinis came today and I really like them. Don't think I'm gonna bother ordering the Dealan to compare. Will post pictures in the morning.

Good choice. The Fellini's are great. Havana 3 in anything JMM is too to be fair.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received my Torino Tempest back from Costco yesterday with subscription transitions put in. I'm pretty happy with the result.

Natural:
IMG_20200812_091312187.jpg

Transitions:
IMG_20200812_091459821.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200812_091336419.jpg
    IMG_20200812_091336419.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20200812_091924911.jpg
    IMG_20200812_091924911.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These suit you really well - also the facial hair - the whole thing is pretty awesome. Would look nice w/ a ring coat...

Since I have no problem mocking myself...

Attachments

• IMG_20200812_114054165.jpg
    IMG_20200812_114054165.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
55EC2FF1-63B3-4E33-ABA5-10A80B5DB5E8.jpeg

I mentioned earlier I finally got to try a few pairs on in person a couple of weeks ago. I thought from pics online that the Deleans were for me but in real life they just looked too large and overly imposing. For some people that’s the attraction of JMMs but for me the trick is to find a pair that look sufficiently different from the mainstream but not over the line into cartoonish obnoxiousness! As I was walking out the second shop, I tried on some Fitzgerald’s with clear glass and thought they fit the bill.

A couple of days later I scored a used pair online for a fraction of the price of new ones which I see going for around $550 to $600 retail. Here’s my review if anyone’s interested:

The first thing you notice is the chunky acetate. I had to tighten the hinge screws but once done they fit me perfectly and have a nice substantial feel to them. They hit the sweet spot between being noticeably robust without seeming heavy. These are black acetate with green lenses. They have the subtle brown tortoise on the inside of the arms but that’s pointless really as it can’t be seen when you’re wearing them.

I suppose that if I wore them to rob a bank most eyewitnesses would describe me as ‘the one wearing black Wayfarers’. Only a fraction of the public who are more switched-on would argue that they weren’t Wayfarers they were slightly bigger and thicker, and the odds are slim that another member of our cult would be well-informed enough to notice these as JMMs.

I road tested these (literally!) on a four hour round trip in the car recently and they performed admirably. I was concerned about the filtering properties of some of the tints you see online, but the green Cr39 lenses are dark enough that you can barely make out my eyes looking close up, and were fine to drive in apart from when the low early morning sun was right in my eyes. The green tint has a soothing effect and despite the chunky frames they didn’t leave pressure dents around my nose bridge. Somebody upthread wished for polarised lenses which are fine if you’re on the water or in snow but make looking at your mobile phone difficult and give that weird effect when through some car windows and at LED screens so be careful what you wish for.

These Fitzgerald’s may look similar to classic Wayfarers but have the subtle advantage of anti- reflective coating on the inner lenses. I get an irritating white glare from my classic Wayfarers due to light coming in from behind. (You can check this by cupping your palms on your temples to block out this side / rear light and the white glare spots disappear from your field of view). No such problem with the JMMs so what might seem like sales patter BS I can confirm that the anti reflective feature is a genuine bonus.

My conclusions are that I’m happy that I got a great deal price-wise but in hindsight would have probably preferred a more adventurous colour, as JMMs seem to be getting a reputation for some interesting versions of their mainstream styles in different colours / patterns. I don’t wear a lot of black and from over 30 pairs of shades only have one pair in black - possibly my oldest pair which are New Wayfarers and don’t get much face time these days. I’m glad I got to ‘scratch the JMM itch’ without too great an assault on my wallet but I don’t think I’ll be like some on this thread, falling down the rabbit hole and ordering up multiple versions and lusting after limited edition colours etc. At more than twice the price of say Oliver Peoples they don’t strike me as being twice the quality despite the built-in desirability / exclusivity of doing short run limited editions of their lines. My OPs, Moscots etc have the advantage of glass in their lenses which I suppose I prefer. I’m guessing JMM uses Cr39 to keep the weight down since the frames are more substantial than most eyewear out there.

Anyway, I hope the above was of interest. Here are comparison pics to Ray Ban Wayfarer Ease 4340 which have the same shaped front frame as classic Wayfarers but with a less severe pantoscopic tilt similar to the JMMs, then Oliver Peoples Cabrillo in clear acetate and Oliver Peoples Jaye in burgundy bark.

204A6A8A-1E70-4C8E-9402-505060C1C7CE.jpeg
196EC2CA-9582-4E2B-9CCD-52989D91DCA5.jpeg
DF239E5D-0965-4BCB-B59A-BFA2CB61336B.jpeg

Please excuse rubbish photography. I had to take mirror selfies as the weird idiosyncrasies of the iPhone selfie lens was making my ears disappear!

Last edited:

YoungM

Reaction score
The Zephirin look great - I pre-ordered a pair in Rover and I'm absolutely dying during the wait. It's been a long time since an SF hype train hit me so forcefully :box:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sturges came in dark havana. I think they're the upper bound of what I can wear size wise, but I like them. Was thinking about holding out for a lighter havana color or something like tortoise/lava...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads