• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not well enough versed / immersed in JMM to be able to identify the names but my two cents are that the first one is just hyooooooge, the next several wire framed ones give a seventies pimp theme which is OK if that’s what you’re after but not for me, neither are the clubmaster types which look good. Then there are a few Ace Rothsteins and a couple of wearables including the funky black wraparounds.
Obviously JMMs are generally going for a very bold look but I think that as with clothing, the more ‘out there’ you go, ie the further you stray from a more classic style, the greater the likelihood that you’ll date yourself and live to regret it later.
I’m still leaning towards Fitzgerald’s. Deleans look great in pictures but too ‘heavy’ on me when I tried them on.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Obviously JMMs are generally going for a very bold look but I think that as with clothing, the more ‘out there’ you go, ie the further you stray from a more classic style, the greater the likelihood that you’ll date yourself and live to regret it later.

The whole appeal of this brand is that it's heavy with 1970s sleazy references. Not sure if it's for people who want a "classic" look. When I think classic, I think of JFK. These are not JFK glasses.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@bry2000 I'd try but I'm swamped. FWIW the titanium frames are amazing but they're just not calling me.

@Thin White Duke the first ones are indeed yoooge, but I'd probably only wear them as sunnies. Same with the Enzos. Fellinis, Fitzgeralds, and Dealans can also be prescription but are good either way, and while there are some smaller frames that look good as strictly readers, I feel it's a waste of JMM's strength of chunky acetate goodness.

For those who feel more comfortable with an 80's/90's vibe, the White Heat is white hot.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
while there are some smaller frames that look good as strictly readers, I feel it's a waste of JMM's strength of chunky acetate goodness.

Yea, I like the browlines, but for the kind of money JMM charges, I feel like it would be somewhat of a waste. There are so many brands that do good browlines. I feel like the value is more in the big, chunky frames.

aladdnzane

Reaction score
Dude white light is so sick. I'm jealous of anyone who doesn't need prescription, I would go absolutely ham if I didn't have to drop another $150+ on lenses

I'm slightly obsessed with white light lately. My Taos in Noir showed up last week and I'm still waiting on the Fellini in dark havana which I'm doing transitions in. Thinking about white light in hickory. Black Fade is crazy but maybe too crazy for me. Decisions, decisions.... then onto the Hemmings... sigh.

Adroit

Reaction score
The whole appeal of this brand is that it's heavy with 1970s sleazy references. Not sure if it's for people who want a "classic" look.

Its a matter of degree. Yes, JMM acetate sunglasses are thick and bold. That said, if you purchase models that fit within the structure of your face, as opposed to extending beyond your facial structure, you can look classic notwithstanding the thick, bold acetate. Many of JMM's designs are modern interpretations of classic designs. However, even the most classic shape can look over-the-top if worn too large. My facial structure dictates that I stay between 47 and 51 with JMM acetate. Any larger and the sunglasses begin to wear me. Even some of JMM's 51 models -- e.g., the Taos -- are too large for me. I love the Enzo and the Torino, but they are overwhelming on my face. One can maintain a classic look with JMM acetate, but you have to choose your models carefully based on your particular facial structure. For me, the Jax, Fitzgerald, Zephirin 47, and Molino 51 achieve the perfect balance of tempered, classic, boldness.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
which store in SF should i go check the JMM optical line?

Adroit

Reaction score
Capture.PNG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads