• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

obecity

Reaction score
Now I think of it, I think that's something Kal is calling "ebony" mirror as made up name. But from a company product perspective like Essilor Transitions or Zeiss, there is no such thing as "ebony" mirror or I didn't find any anywhere.

So may be his clear lens has silver flash mirror coating instead of AR but then that transitions to Black. you get some reflection.

One thing is to note is that when taking selfies, there is heavy reflection on mirror flash coating with transitions or without transitions. The mirror flash coating looks really cool in person on a clear lens but if you are posting photos on social media, people are going to think you went cheap and not applied AR coating.
This sounds like a reasonable explanation. If I could, I’d ask that Facebook group to clarify, but none of my comments are being reviewed and approved for posting.

swf999

Reaction score
Of course man, this gives me an excuse to post more glasses for attention whoring! No need to apologize at all.

I waffled back and forth, got the forum's feedback, and was about to return them. I'm stubborn though.

My optician pulled through and was able to get me a 20%(possibly 22%) yellow tint with Rx, but no transition lenses. Fine by me. Anti-reflective coating is only on one side, not both. Doesn't bother me.

They're extremely heavy. I'm very well aware that there's a brick on my nose and ears. They're also not centered with my pupils, and I have bad eyes. The lenses ended up bulging well past the frame.

20230321-171456.jpg

20230321-212016.jpg

I love the frames overall. They're glossy finish on the parts of the frame that no one else sees, such as the interior, top, and bottom. The outer portions of the frame are matte. Combine this with the hidden wirecore, and they're the perfect balance of flashiness for me.

20230325-073456.jpg

A gold star rivet on the temple arms of my Dealans turned purple. Sounds like I should leave it alone and just call it patina.
I am digging this on you! I think they look wicked! Congrats to your optician for great execution of specs! I may use this tint on my future black colour ones sometime! Cheers mate!

Badger716

Reaction score
Hi all, new to Styleforum and JMM. Glad to be here!

Had a question for some of the younger folks here. I tried on a few JMM frames and feel like they make me look a bit older, and the optician agreed with me (I'm 24). I think one reason is that I have a short and wide face, so longer frames (Enzo, Herbie) and narrower frames (Ichikawa, Fellini, Dealan etc) don't have the best fit. The Molino 55 seems to look the best on me, so I'm definitely set on getting a optical one in black for the office and formal settings.

I just signed up for the JMM trunk show that's coming into town and definitely want to grab one or two pairs, so was wondering what other frames (and colors) should I look out for, and what I should expect with the trunk show? Just starting out my eye wardrobe so I'm quite excited to get it jump started with JMM!

Last edited:

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course man, this gives me an excuse to post more glasses for attention whoring! No need to apologize at all.

I waffled back and forth, got the forum's feedback, and was about to return them. I'm stubborn though.

My optician pulled through and was able to get me a 20%(possibly 22%) yellow tint with Rx, but no transition lenses. Fine by me. Anti-reflective coating is only on one side, not both. Doesn't bother me.

They're extremely heavy. I'm very well aware that there's a brick on my nose and ears. They're also not centered with my pupils, and I have bad eyes. The lenses ended up bulging well past the frame.

20230321-171456.jpg

20230321-212016.jpg

I love the frames overall. They're glossy finish on the parts of the frame that no one else sees, such as the interior, top, and bottom. The outer portions of the frame are matte. Combine this with the hidden wirecore, and they're the perfect balance of flashiness for me.

20230325-073456.jpg

A gold star rivet on the temple arms of my Dealans turned purple. Sounds like I should leave it alone and just call it patina.

I won't lie, the frame looks extremely oversized on your face, which is too small to counterbalance the huge glasses. Nonetheless you can wear it, if it's the look you want.
As I already said, I think it's better as sunglasses.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am digging this on you! I think they look wicked! Congrats to your optician for great execution of specs! I may use this tint on my future black colour ones sometime! Cheers mate!
Thanks man, I appreciate it!

If you end up going through with it, do post pictures if you can.

If I remember correctly, I know @d4nimal ended up opting for a non-Rx pair of tinted glasses and just wears contacts underneath to reduce the weight of the frame.
I won't lie, the frame looks extremely oversized on your face, which is too small to counterbalance the huge glasses. Nonetheless you can wear it, if it's the look you want.
As I already said, I think it's better as sunglasses.
Appreciate the honesty, can always count on SF for that one. Me, you, my optician, and the forum is in agreement that they're massive on me and would work better as sunglasses.

Just what I was looking for. I already have traditionally well fitting frames that are centred with my pupils, balanced with the rest of my features, and are congruous with my outfits. Schindler and Dealans nail those aspects.

The Belize has a ridiculous and absurd factor on me, "extremely oversized" indeed. I love it.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, new to Styleforum and JMM. Glad to be here!

Had a question for some of the younger folks here. I tried on a few JMM frames and feel like they make me look a bit older, and the optician agreed with me (I'm 24). I think one reason is that I have a short and wide face, so longer frames (Enzo, Herbie) and narrower frames (Ichikawa, Fellini, Dealan etc) don't have the best fit. The Molino 55 seems to look the best on me, so I'm definitely set on getting a optical one in black for the office and formal settings.

I just signed up for the JMM trunk show that's coming into town and definitely want to grab one or two pairs, so was wondering what other frames (and colors) should I look out for, and what I should expect with the trunk show? Just starting out my eye wardrobe so I'm quite excited to get it jump started with JMM!
Hmm, struggling to think of frames to recommend. In my head, Herbie's look similiar to Molino 55, just bigger. Fit pics always help.

I know @swf999 posted some cool frames that are available for preorder.

Badger716

Reaction score
Hmm, struggling to think of frames to recommend. In my head, Herbie's look similiar to Molino 55, just bigger. Fit pics always help.

I know @swf999 posted some cool frames that are available for preorder.

I think a big barrier here is my mindset, Like many people, growing up I was super conscious about my glasses, always wanting contacts, and believing that I look better without glasses (which is still true imo, maybe I'm still young and care too much about what others think of me 🤔). I therefore am super picky about choosing frames, looking only for the best fit (which tend to be conservative).

Contacts are a no-go for daily wear, as I've never found toric lenses that don't swirl around in my eye (tried many different brands)

Maybe it could be that all the frames I tried on were black and optical, which is the hardest to pull off?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a big barrier here is my mindset, Like many people, growing up I was super conscious about my glasses, always wanting contacts, and believing that I look better without glasses (which is still true imo, maybe I'm still young and care too much about what others think of me 🤔). I therefore am super picky about choosing frames, looking only for the best fit (which tend to be conservative).

Contacts are a no-go for daily wear, as I've never found toric lenses that don't swirl around in my eye (tried many different brands)

Maybe it could be that all the frames I tried on were black and optical, which is the hardest to pull off?
That's pretty much what I did, I went for the Dealans in black for my first opticals. I have a long and narrow face, but I also have dark features with a high contrast complexion.

For me, they weren't hard to pull off because of my black hair and beard. 3/4 of my frames are black.

If you have a low contrast complexion, say sandy blonde hair and green or grey eyes, it may feel too stark and severe.

If you're comfortable, the easiest way to get feedback is to take face pictures with you wearing glasses, then posting them here. Ideally from at least an arm's length away. I've seen too many close up selfies that make the face look distorted, and make glasses look bigger than they actually are.

Badger716

Reaction score
That's pretty much what I did, I went for the Dealans in black for my first opticals. I have a long and narrow face, but I also have dark features with a high contrast complexion.

For me, they weren't hard to pull off because of my black hair and beard. 3/4 of my frames are black.

If you have a low contrast complexion, say sandy blonde hair and green or grey eyes, it may feel too stark and severe.

If you're comfortable, the easiest way to get feedback is to take face pictures with you wearing glasses, then posting them here. Ideally from at least an arm's length away. I've seen too many close up selfies that make the face look distorted, and make glasses look bigger than they actually are.
Makes sense, thanks for sharing! My complexion is actually quite similar to yours, albeit with slightly lighter skin. Will post pictures next time I head to the store.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Try Torinos and Yves. Both are my daily opticals

tweedlover

Reaction score
Now to my eye the frames look too big in his photo.

Calin

Reaction score
Does the Pre-order button on JMM website working for y'all?
Was trying at the Ashcrofts but the shopping bag remains empty. Or is the universe trying to tell me something? Hmm..

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the Pre-order button on JMM website working for y'all?
Was trying at the Ashcrofts but the shopping bag remains empty. Or is the universe trying to tell me something? Hmm..

If I remember correctly, I also had a similar issue by one of my purchases.

Pechelman

Reaction score
Bringing up a question @ColdinMN had a while back about choosing transition colors on a hickory frame, this time specifically on a Taos.

I'm well aware of the opinion some of you have about dinginess and how brown is the only true color, but I dont think brown is what I want or what would look good on this frame color.

fwiw, I found that I wasn't wearing these because the stock blue/grey dull and muddy lens color maybe wasn't flattering to my warmer skin tone. After popping out the lenses yesterday I liked how they looked as optical, so now considering swapping some lenses.

Emerald would probably be the most similar to the stock lens, but I don't want that. Right now thinking about amber or sapphire. Does anyone happen to have either of these that they could post how they look fully darkened? The sample shots I've seen of them look quite vibrant and nice.
transition_colors.jpg
taos_hickory.jpg

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bringing up a question @ColdinMN had a while back about choosing transition colors on a hickory frame, this time specifically on a Taos.

I'm well aware of the opinion some of you have about dinginess and how brown is the only true color, but I dont think brown is what I want or what would look good on this frame color.

fwiw, I found that I wasn't wearing these because the stock blue/grey dull and muddy lens color maybe wasn't flattering to my warmer skin tone. After popping out the lenses yesterday I liked how they looked as optical, so now considering swapping some lenses.

Emerald would probably be the most similar to the stock lens, but I don't want that. Right now thinking about amber or sapphire. Does anyone happen to have either of these that they could post how they look fully darkened? The sample shots I've seen of them look quite vibrant and nice. View attachment 1927423 View attachment 1927435

Hickory is a lovely colourway, pretty classic, that would go with many lens options.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads