• Our featured affiliate vendor of the week is Larimars Luxury Menswear Larimars, based in Ontario, Canada, specializes in handmade and semi-handmade shirts made in their family owned factory, with over 1000 fabrics from which to choose!

Please check them out and take advantage of their introductory offer for Styleforum. The discount code is in thread!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Root Beer you mean? How easy is it for you to wear the Kobo?
I have it in Rootbeer and in Noir. As I already said, the Kobo is among the most "difficult" frames, as oversized and with that very quirky shape. I always wear classic clothing and, surprisingly, find it a very pleasant contrast with the "sleaziness" of the Kobo.

Of course the Molino is by far easier to pull off. I think it's a frame suitable for quite all faces.

Pureneat

Reaction score
The Fellini Molino is a bit of an overlap but still both worthy of inclusion in a collection, especially if different hues….

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@fmvazquez They look fine on you. Personally, I would pass on them.

I've never been a fan of the Molino, and you've already filled similar looking niches.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here my dilemma!
(Dealan AS Hickory missing)

View attachment 1862991
This is a nice collection - obviously a lot of overlap / repetition but if that’s your jam go for it.

Here’s a point that might be worthy of some discussion as it floats through my mind from time to time:

For those of us who enjoy some sort of luxury item - in this case our obsession with good quality but ridiculously overpriced sunglasses - have you achieved a happy medium between on one hand wanting ‘the world’ to know that your glasses were costly and aren’t run of the mill shades from the barrow in the mall while on the other not being that obnoxious flash twit festooned in logos?

I recently did a blog post which included being sat next to Hill Harper on a flight. He had on a polo shirt and jeans but something about his rig just quietly spoke of wealth and taste - without a logo in sight. Contrast that against an erstwhile board member Hermes Man who went to buy some Gucci **** in Singapore and said that he went early in the morning so he could spend the rest of the day wandering around the mall with the Hermes shop bag so everyone would know how rich he is to be able to afford something from there.

I’m sure none of us want to be “that guy” constantly banging on about how expensive his stuff is, but seeing as my JMM taste leans to the conservative like many in this picture, I have to admit that there’s a part of me that thinks - if I spent $600 to $1200 (LFs) on my shades I don’t want people thinking these are just ordinary RayBans. (“Glasses for the masses”’as a JMM SA once called them - I refer to Ray Bans as my gateway drug!)

Maybe this is why I like conservative frames but also like exposed and engraved wiring to set them apart. The collection in this picture would all fit within my own taste but if I owned all those there’s a part of me that would be slightly uneasy at the thought that I had a collection worth thousands but 99 percent of the public wouldn’t even be able to tell them from $50 RB knock offs.

I’m fully aware that good taste is in many ways its own reward. I have plenty of nice stuff like suits, shoes, watches etc and don’t agonise about what Joe Public thinks of me - just curious how the other JMM cult members think about this.

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well-thought-out post TWD. I don't know if I've achieved that happy medium of broadcasting my frame quality to the world, but it's a bonus.

For me, my first pair was a pair of all black Dealans. Today, I'd ideally want the wirecore exposed on the outside, but I'm ok with what I have.

My 2nd pair is Schindlers with sharp angles and bolder acetate towards the upper edge of the frame.

For me, JMM nails the shape and silhouette and fit for me, the thick build and detailing is the icing on the cake.

I do enjoy the "stealth flex" aspect of JMMs. This can relate to this post by Simon Crompton. I think JMM has enough variety that their frames can be flashy or fuddy(conservative).

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno if this makes sense, but I generally have a level of visual impact I’m trying to achieve, at the risk of sounding like J Evans Pritchard scoring poetry or that I’m actively counting numbers (it’s more a general feeling than anything). This takes into account the shape of the frame (a Kobo or Edie or something is automatically a lot more than a Molino), hardware exposed vs. hidden, lens color, frame color, etc. So for some things I think the exposed hardware plus the frame shape and what I’m trying to wear with it etc. exceeds the amount of extravagance or impact I want the glasses to have on the whole. Other times I think the exposed hardware works great with what I want. I don’t think about it in terms of pure attention or status or whatever necessarily as much as a balance issue.

garigo

Reaction score
I have to say, especially with accessories such as glasses and watches, my attitude has changed a bit lately. Whenever I consider a new purchase, I ask myself: is there any situation in which I would prefer it over something I already own? Most of the time the answer is just no, therefore I know I wouldn't get a lot of use out of the new item.

Of course your attitude might be different, and probably this means I'm not really a collector, but I feel like my three pairs of JMMs already give me plenty of variation in color and shapes.

hendrix

Ill-proportioned
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a nice collection - obviously a lot of overlap / repetition but if that’s your jam go for it.

Here’s a point that might be worthy of some discussion as it floats through my mind from time to time:

For those of us who enjoy some sort of luxury item - in this case our obsession with good quality but ridiculously overpriced sunglasses - have you achieved a happy medium between on one hand wanting ‘the world’ to know that your glasses were costly and aren’t run of the mill shades from the barrow in the mall while on the other not being that obnoxious flash twit festooned in logos?

I recently did a blog post which included being sat next to Hill Harper on a flight. He had on a polo shirt and jeans but something about his rig just quietly spoke of wealth and taste - without a logo in sight. Contrast that against an erstwhile board member Hermes Man who went to buy some Gucci **** in Singapore and said that he went early in the morning so he could spend the rest of the day wandering around the mall with the Hermes shop bag so everyone would know how rich he is to be able to afford something from there.

I’m sure none of us want to be “that guy” constantly banging on about how expensive his stuff is, but seeing as my JMM taste leans to the conservative like many in this picture, I have to admit that there’s a part of me that thinks - if I spent $600 to $1200 (LFs) on my shades I don’t want people thinking these are just ordinary RayBans. (“Glasses for the masses”’as a JMM SA once called them - I refer to Ray Bans as my gateway drug!)

Maybe this is why I like conservative frames but also like exposed and engraved wiring to set them apart. The collection in this picture would all fit within my own taste but if I owned all those there’s a part of me that would be slightly uneasy at the thought that I had a collection worth thousands but 99 percent of the public wouldn’t even be able to tell them from $50 RB knock offs.

I’m fully aware that good taste is in many ways its own reward. I have plenty of nice stuff like suits, shoes, watches etc and don’t agonise about what Joe Public thinks of me - just curious how the other JMM cult members think about this.
Interesting thoughts. I think taste is status, to some extent. I hate that too but it's hard to escape.

ijgood123

Reaction score
Anyone here have their sunglasses held up by US customs? I purchased from a vendor in the EU and was informed by DHL that the item was on hold, pending the provision of quite a bit of information. Apparently, sunnies, even nonprescription, are considered medical devices by the FDA.

I'm not optimistic at this stage, as the vendor needs to provide much of the information and documents. If the info is not provided, the item will be returned to sender. I've successfully purchased three times from overseas without incident.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say, especially with accessories such as glasses and watches, my attitude has changed a bit lately. Whenever I consider a new purchase, I ask myself: is there any situation in which I would prefer it over something I already own? Most of the time the answer is just no, therefore I know I wouldn't get a lot of use out of the new item.

Of course your attitude might be different, and probably this means I'm not really a collector, but I feel like my three pairs of JMMs already give me plenty of variation in color and shapes.
Nothing wrong with a tightly curated collection if it meets all your needs.

Looking at my recent purchases and trying to explain (self-justify?) them - I usually only get suited up when I’m visiting a job site and i’ve been WFH more lately the last few years so expenditure on threads has slowed down, but I never leave the house without a watch and shades so money not spent on suits / jackets / shirts / shoes has transferred to the accessories budget!

Famous last words but I can’t think of anything I NEED right now and not much that I want either so I’m going to see how far I can last though next year without succumbing to temptation.

There used to be a fella post on CM inviting us to join the No Purchase Club for a month - I could do with him coming back!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here have their sunglasses held up by US customs? I purchased from a vendor in the EU and was informed by DHL that the item was on hold, pending the provision of quite a bit of information. Apparently, sunnies, even nonprescription, are considered medical devices by the FDA.

I'm not optimistic at this stage, as the vendor needs to provide much of the information and documents. If the info is not provided, the item will be returned to sender. I've successfully purchased three times from overseas without incident.
Not held up but I bought a pair of Mason and Sons Yvan sunglasses from England as worn by Michael Caine in the Harry Palmer films. This was pre JMM but I thought they fit me huge so I sent them back. The fella at Masons even admitted they were large and due to a lot of returns wished they’d made them in a smaller size. Anyway along with having to eat the cost of shipping both ways I was hit with an import duties bill. I provided evidence that I’d sent them back then after a clear out destroyed the documents. Months later I was hit with a duty bill again and they kept coming at me over and over and sent it to collections. It took me two years to finally (hopefully) clear this so if that happens to anyone DO NOT destroy your evidence that you shipped them back.

Featured Sponsor

Corduroy…who wore it best?

• @khughes44

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • @duke santos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • @DavidLane

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • @Old Red

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • @Chadclass

Votes: 15 21.1%